CPU/Mobo A question about E8400

luckyrao

Disciple
I bought a new P5k from asus then I downloaded the Asus Ai suite and when i open it sometimes it shows my processor speed is 2000 mhz (333 x 6 ) and sometimes it shows my processor speed is 3000 mhz (333 x 9)
What does this mean,Ai suite is underclocking my processor depending on the load?
is my processor a 6 multi or 9 multi?

it is because of the the EIST and C1E function being turned on through BIOS which fluctuates the clock speeds depending upon the usage. In other words, its a power saving option. You can turn it of and get it back to its stock settings i.e 3000MHz. The default multiplier is 9X.

luckyrao said:
I bought a new P5k from asus then I downloaded the Asus Ai suite and when i open it sometimes it shows my processor speed is 2000 mhz (333 x 6 ) and sometimes it shows my processor speed is 3000 mhz (333 x 9)

What does this mean,Ai suite is underclocking my processor depending on the load?

is my processor a 6 multi or 9 multi?

That is called Intel Speedstep my friend :) Google for it. It automatically downclocks your processor to 2000Mhz when not in use to save power (also lower temps etc). The millisec you do something, it brings it back upto full speed and then moves it down again when idle. Very useful feature.

To see it in action, you can try using CPU-Z while opening any program etc. :)

EDIT: @backtoexistence: Dude, why would you want to disable it? Only sometimes ppl disable it cos it may cause issues when OCing. If you are not OCing, its the best thing to use. Theres NO performance hit to using it :p

+ it still works ok with mild OC. Me running E4500@2.6Ghz with it enabled. Drops down to 1.3 when not being used :D

luckyrao said:
ok thanks friends,i disabled eist and c1e in bios and now i can work with 3000 mhz.i will enable them after im done gaming :)

:no:

arre no re :)

its automatic, u DONT need to disable it :p wen u game, it automatically runs at full speed durin games. so keep it enabled only. no diff to performance.

@techie..
perfectly kept down on the table ;) .. i couldnt find the correct word to use.. disabling the feature will NOT cause any performance issues.. thats a Power saving option. Also will not stress your proccy if you are planning to keep ur system on 24/7.

Edit : Btw.. whats the thermal option in my abit ip35e ... above the C1E feature. Dunno what it does :S

backtoexistence said:
@techie..
perfectly kept down on the table ;) .. i couldnt find the correct word to use.. disabling the feature will NOT cause any performance issues.. thats a Power saving option. Also will not stress your proccy if you are planning to keep ur system on 24/7.

Edit : Btw.. whats the thermal option in my abit ip35e ... above the C1E feature. Dunno what it does :S

the tm1 & tm2 options u mean?

i run my pc 24/7 cos i leave it download torrents.I enabled the intel speed step technology in the BIOS and also i set the CPU fan to Optimal speed control.. now it spins around 1300 on idle and my temp is 48 C.Is it normal?

guess so. leave it as it is. when you do any CPU intensicve task like games/encoding etc, everything will automatically ramp up to full speed :) no need to change ANY settings :)

ok thats great.everything automatic :) i also have one more query about a feature in Asus Ai suite.Its called AI nap.When i enable AI nap it says my system would go to a low power mode,could i enable this mode when downloading torrents?

luckyrao said:
ok thats great.everything automatic :) i also have one more query about a feature in Asus Ai suite.Its called AI nap.When i enable AI nap it says my system would go to a low power mode,could i enable this mode when downloading torrents?

no idea :( google for it?

Back