Monitors A question of monitors

raj_pol

Skilled
:) :) Please give me a suggestion on which one to buy...
1. Dell 2007WFP 20" UltraSharpTM 18811
2. Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen Flat 19188

They are both almost identically priced. I am inclined towards the 24 inch simply because of the size.
Two points to kep in mind.
Imp point:
I will not be playing games in native resolution. So if I play fear(say) at 1280*1024 or some other game at say 1680*1050 how bad will it be in a 24 inch monitor.
Also I am not a photography expert or someone like that?

So will I be able to notice significant quality diff from a tn(24 inch) to a s-ips or pmva(20 inch) monitor?
Any other relevant points that you guys would like to mention.
Thanks all for your suggestions

Raj

well...I don't think anyone here has the E248WFP, but it's safe to say that everything will look better on the 2007WFP. If you want to use the monitor for your regular computing(browsing, typing, programming), then the 24" one will be better I think. And if your movies are in HD format then they'll look good on the bigger screen. For games, and for movies of less than optimal quality I'd say go for the 2007WFP. Not only is the screen nicer, but it's got more conectivity options as well as a better stand.

:) My primary usage is games..
70% of my time....
Listening to songs playing around with new softwares 20%
Rest 10% will be movie watching...
Any idea on how well the 24 inch will scale (I will never be able to play games at native res...do not have a high end graphics card :p :p )

I just got a 22" and am playing around with it right now. Movies, even low-res recordings, look really good. Games look good too, and the nvidia drivers give you the option of pixel mapping/aspect ratio scaling. The only problem with TN screens is the colours change every time you move your head!
Not really a problem with games, but with movies and day to day use it might turn out to be a pain. Also, text doesn't look too great...its readable, but grainy (in some apps, not all).
I've got a Dell 22" so I'm assuming my experience will be relevant to you.
Also, my monitor has an adjustable stand...and for the panel I have, I think thats a must.
I don't think your 24"er comes with an adjustable stand..if it does then go for it, otherwise add the cost of a decent stand and see if you still think it's worth the price.

:) Thanks for the replies.....I might then go for the 2007 ultrasharp as for that size it seems to be the only decent monitor in India...

Do not want the colors going haywire....
The reviews for the 248wfp seems mixed with some liking the display while others mentioning probs with colors etc...

Back