A significant question ;)

Answer to thy problem?

• Put to sleep when work is done and never shut down.....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other...specify in comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before I go into 'the significant question',this is some of the stuff that you guys should know before you give me your much valued,analytical and intelligent feedback on my rather 'stupid' question,but one that nonetheless needs to be answered.

These are my current system specs:-

My System Specs and equipment[Right now]
:-
1)Processor-Intel Core i5 6500 @3.20 Ghz.
2)Ram-8 GB.
3)Motherboard-Gigabyte H110M s2.
4)GPU-Zotac Geforce 1060 3GB.
5)Power supply-Antec VP550P.
6)HDD's-2 TB.
7)Case-Corsair 100R.
8)Monitor-Samsung 75Hz monitor[overclocked,as the monitor's standard frequency was 60Hz ;)].
9)Mouse-Steelseries Rival 100.
10)Mousepad-Steelseries Qck Mini.
11)Os-Windows 10-64 Bit.

Now, I will give you guys a brief account on how I use my PC on a day-to-day basis.I start my PC in the morning[I shut it down at night,everyday],I play lots of FPS games throughout the day like CS 1.6,GO,etc....and also watch a lot of streams and just beat the crap outta my PC like this everyday.I start my PC at around 9:00 AM in the morning and shut it down at 12:00 PM everyday.If I go out or I am not using the PC,I usually put it on 'sleep mode'. One more important factor,as I live in a metropolitan city in India,we still have some electricity outage issues.Like,once in 3-4 months there is an outage that may range from 1-3 hours,but most of the time things are stable.

Now,as you guys know all the nuances,I will now ask the 'significant question',at least imo :p.

Should I shut down my PC everyday,or put it on sleep mode,or hibernate or whatever? .I have heard that shutting down your PC and restarting it everyday causes wear and tear in your harddisks and CPU fans,which are the only moving things,at least which I know of.So,keeping in mind the health of my CPU and overall Ip/Op devices,what should I do? .As I had custom built this rig just 3 months ago,this question is very important to me.

I am creating a poll,and I may go by the majority or by the answer that satisfies me the most.Satisfy my curiosity fellasssss!!!!!

P.S.-I don't have a UPS currently,though I use the best surge protectors out there[Belkin]....but, I will get a UPS soon :)

If you're not gonna be using your pc for more than 2-3 hours then shut it down. however it better to keep it running continuously than powering it on-off more than 10, maybe 20 cycles a day.

sleep and hibernate also spin down the fan/hdd motors so same effect as power off. except you get faster boot that's all.

For my home PC (with Win10 and linux multiboot, no gaming) I like to leave my PC powered on without any sleep or hibernate. I only set the display "blanking" to short delay of 15 minutes and display "off" a bit later like 45 minutes, to extend my monitor life, depending on the OS i'm booted into, no screensavers are set. I only shut down the PC whenever I will be away from it for an extended period of time, like on a lunch break or going to sleep etc. So, especially on weekends, that means I might cold (re)boot my PC 3-4 times per day for my stints in front of it.

I never leave my PC powered on for extended lengths if I am not nearby, just because it's new and I'm worried about stability like hangs/crashes/reboots which I don't want to happen and then stay in limbo without supervision.

For my office laptop which runs Win7, I again have the display saving settings, I dont allow it to auto sleep even when closing the lid. At the end of the day I manually click the Start->Sleep button every day. I do a clean reboot once a week, either on a Friday evening or Monday morning to avoid problems due to memory leaks in Outlook email or browsers etc.

Thanks for all your replies.I guess the best thing is to keep the comp turned on instead of turning it on/off 20-30 cycles in a day, and shut it down at night when it will stay idle for like at least 7-8 hours. ;)

Back