A tricky health insurance situation.

JMP

Adept
Hey Guys,

I recently got an email for a "pre-approved" health insurance cover from my banking partner, this was from a health insurance company that I had previously applied for and was rejected due to pre-existing conditions. I never apply for any health insurance because I have a pre-existing condition based on which 99% of individual policies are denied. My usual refuge is corporate / group cover.

Got carried away by the "pre-approved" wording in the email and made the payment and bought this insurance. During the application process, I was not asked for any documents apart from age and a question about pre-existing conditions, despite checking "YES" to that pre-existing condition / prior hospitalization radio button the policy was issued on the same day without any further questions.

I contacted the insurance company that the policy was issued without questions even after mentioning that I have a pre-existing condition and they said "we have approved it based on information available with us", it is up to you to disclose any new information submit relevant documents, and "we'll re-assess the cover based on that communicate further". I was not given a copy of the proposal form or the information they have.

I don't know if I should continue to hold this coverage or ask for cancellation & refund during the free look period. Any suggestions?

The policy document should have the proposal form and all the information. Go through it and verify. Also drop them a mail about this so you will have the proof in future if proposal form is not available.

The policy document should have the proposal form and all the information. Go through it and verify. Also drop them a mail about this so you will have the proof in future if proposal form is not available.
They have sent me the physical copy of the policy document and 2 electronic copies via Email and WhatsApp. None had the proposal form. I explicitly asked them for it via email, it's been 9 days since I got the policy and they are still saying we need 3-4 more working days.

Why did you even hurried into buying policy without first confirming thoroughly what all diseases/conditions it covers?
How much you paid?

I think most policies allow you to cancel them within the first month, check if yours does. You should also be able to download the policy wordings from their site. If not, just pretend to be a new customer and tell them you need to see it before deciding to buy.

Cancel. You have to disclose information even if the company didnt ask you which is a lapse on their part.
Their policy docs and terms and condition must be saying that which you would have agreed to and signed.

They will reject you claims based on this.

Back