A Windows Mobile?

Shark

Disciple
What do you guys think of mobiles with Windows mobile OS?

I like Nokia phones, but seems like they're with Symbian. Basically I need the qwerty keypad, browsers like a PC so I can browse easily and I dont have to carry my laptop around.

I heard O2 mobiles are pretty fragile (?) .. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Windows mobiles are absolutely awesome devices !

I own an Imate Jam.. there's a lotta better (read: newer) devices out there..

Choose ur pick.. Imate Kjam wld be nice if u want the qwerty keypad !!

Qwerty and Browsers are available in both windows and symbian phones. What are your other needs? And mainly, whats your budget?

Other needs may be decent battery life, decent camera (3.2 mp atleast), expandable memory..

Budget - can go upto 50k.

I'm not too familiar with the Windows Mobile OS. Can we install the normal .exe applications like Skype, Yahoo msgr etc on it?

Do Symbian phones with qwerty keypads offer similar functionality - a near PC browsing experience? In my experience, I've used 3660 & 6600 long time back. Those were the symbian ones, but it was not great to browse with those.

Battery life and good camera = Nokia :D

You get apps for windows mobile. Most of the regular software has a win mobile version. - i.e. browsers, media players, etc.

With that budget, I would suggest waiting till the E90 hits our shores :eek:hyeah:

the O2 XDA Atom LIFE is pretty good windows mobile...its available for some 36k with bill...the best part is tht it has a 620 mhz intel xscale processor which is pretty fast for the mobile platform...only thing missing is the 3 mp cam...it has a 2 mp cam...rest is very good indeed...moreover, it comes with a mammoth 1530 mah battery...so battery time shud not be a problem at all...think, u shud take a look at it too b4 making any decisions...:)

check the review here...

O2 Xda Atom Life - Review : Handhelds - CNET Asia

I too own Imate Jam windows phone. its very much durable (after falling from my hand to the ground 5-6 times) no damage what so ever except the body.. it rocks.. the music we can hear is awesome. i was bored with nokia symbian and so now changes to Imate Jam

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

E80 looks good, but its Symbian :(

O2 XDA & Atom - do they have good battery life? Atleast for 2 days? I Heard O2 generally has poor batteries..

Let me check out the imate jam..

Imate Jam is basic windows 2003 SE OS but the most powerful smallest pocket pc in the world equipt with PXA272 416Mhz processor.. i can overclock it to max 520Mhz (battery life doesnt affect much) and can also make it play roles like intel speed step technology (speed as per the load)

Very much wide variety softwares available. myself have 50 softwares installed and 30 games onboard

using 2GB SD card flawlessly (previously was using 1GB MiniSD

nVidiabeast said:
mate Jam is basic windows 2003 SE OS but the most powerful smallest pocket pc in the world equipt with PXA272 416Mhz processor.. i can overclock it to max 520Mhz (battery life doesnt affect much) and can also make it play roles like intel speed step technology (speed as per the load)

Ahaan...wake up..its not the most powerful...:p the XDA Atom life has a 620 mhz processor...plus the atom life has a 2 mp cam...the jam has a 1.3mp cam..plus the absence of wifi, 3g and edge in the Jam is really bad...:no:

@Shark: the atom life has a 1530 mah battery..it'll easily give u 2 days...but again depends on ur usage..;)

I would suggest you go in for the Hermes (aka I-Mate JasJam, O2 Trion, Orange SPV M3100)

It's basically an upgraded Wizard (K-Jam) -

1) More power (400 MHz vs 195MHz)
2) 2MP Cam vs 1.3MP
3) Jog Wheel vs Slider
4) Video Conferencing Camera in the front
5) 1350 mAH Battery

This is a lovely phone and can run everything you can throw at it ranging from business applications to multimedia applications. If you are a road warrior I would suggest you get the 3000 mAH battery from ::: Lion Battery :::

You could check out a mini review I did of the K-Jam. That could give you an idea about WM devices.

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/fs-imate-k-jam-w-original-89484.html

Thanks for the info.

@Private Ryan: Would it be a problem if I buy & use a 3000 mAH on Atom life?

I'll check out the Atom life today. Are the Windows mobiles available with WM 6 already or do they still sell WM 5, n we gotta upgrade with a pirated version?

nVidiaBeast said:
yeah u can upgrade from 5 to version 6.

Is that upgrade possible for all WM5 phones? Where do I get WM6 from? Im buying an Imate SP5m and if Im able to upgrade it will be great. Otherwise I will have to consider the HTC S710 too. Any other good windows mobiles with wifi?

Raghu.

shark said:
@Private Ryan: Would it be a problem if I buy & use a 3000 mAH on Atom life?

tht depends whr u buy the upgrade from...the cheap chinese units are a strict no-no..:no: they will ruin ur phone and void all the warranty..(if u buy it with bill)...search for a reputed speciality battery maker on the net...also, u may need to buy a external covering for the bigger battery as it will not fit in the space meant for a 1500mah battery...;) Imo, not worth the hassle..u shud be fine with the 1500mah battery...

Back