Abacus Maths Classes Online or Offline?

Emperor

Skilled
Hi,

Is there any legit source who actually teaching Abacus A to Z to a 12 yr. old child?

I really don't know about Abacus Maths, just heard that students who do same course can do maths fast/better way and no more fear of Maths/Complex Calculations....

There is offline classes in my city but none of batch time match with School & Karate Class Timings, plus it's far away (long distance from residence), we & child too may face hardship to reach/come-back.

Like.. first we need to go to drop and came back and again after 2 hrs. need to visit to pick & back. (4 trip a day between class & home).

There is option of Auto etc. but it eventually will add in cost and over all Classes + Travel cost us like Bomb. There is Govt. Bus Service but it don't have time table so can't rely on.

Any suggestion would help to decide better.

Thank you

I actually had abacus classes growing up. School thought it was a good idea for kids to learn and help out in their mental math capacity. I had it upto 5th or 6th standard. I really don't know whether it helped me at all tbh lol. I certainly know for a fact that the kids who took math tuition and then practiced on their own at home scored better than I did in mathematics. It's just a non harmful pastime for kids honestly not worth spending money or that much time and effort (which they would be better off learning a musical instrument, I wish I certainly did earlier). Also is Karate even a real self defense art? Most of my peers just took them because their mothers thought they could actually defend themselves using some tricks or maybe they just wanted them to stay outside the house. Eventually they just got too old for it and moved on to other activites while one friend went into some taekwondo or boxing training.

Is it worth teaching Abacus to your child in the age of calculators? Just curious.
He is probably referring to this -
And damn, these guys have made a business model out of the abacus. Amazing !
I really don't know about Abacus Maths, just heard that students who do same course can do maths fast/better way and no more fear of Maths/Complex Calculations....
This seems more of marketing speak. We don't even recall using it in our childhood. All we had were slate and chalk. There are ways to do mathematics faster but at this age, why even try that. I have no idea if using abacus enables one to conquer the fear of maths. Probably someone who teaches kids at this level can relate better.
Karate even a real self defense art
It can be but definitely not from those neighbourhood black belt bhais. Better would be some actual self defence classes independent of fighting style which includes some effective punching and brawling !

Last edited:
It can be but definitely not from those neighbourhood black belt bhais. Better would be some actual self defence classes independent of fighting style which includes some effective punching and brawling !
I agree but personally as someone from this generation I would suggest for you guys who have kids to get them into active sports like football and other hobbies
He is probably referring to this -
And damn, these guys have made a business model out of the abacus. Amazing !

This seems more of marketing speak. We don't even recall using it in our childhood. All we had were slate and chalk. There are ways to do mathematics faster but at this age, why even try that. I have no idea if using abacus enables one to conquer the fear of maths. Probably someone who teaches kids at this level can relate better.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my abacus classes were conducted within my classroom as a part of the syllabus (this is prior to entering 8th when schools have a more freehand to decide what children should do and learn) so it was just a part of our normal school fees. These I don't recommend at all, they just feed on a parent's fear of their child lagging behind their peers.

Honestly the only 3 extracurriculars or hobbies that I would say I personally should have done more or improved in is music, theatre and sports. The first two was certainly out of reach for my father to afford for me quite understandably. it is extremely expensive to have private or even group classes to learn any musical instruement in a metro city. I'm sure it is somewhat the same for classical indian instruments as well. People back in my hometown would just learn from an elder person from church who was more than happy to teach. Who has such free time these days. But if some of you new parents here have a good steady income, then please certainly push them a bit towards having music as a hobby. It really adds more character to oneself and university would be a lot less boring if I was better with my guitar :p
Right now I'm just stuck between being better than an intermediate but not good enough to play on stage yet. Of course don't literally let your imagination run wild of your childs future and pressure them but I certainly needed a bit of a push every now and then. And certainly, some sort of active sports please, I was such a fatass due to my love of videogames and chips when I was younger, only 2 years back did I start making changes in my lifestyle. Love football like mad but I play football that will make you mad (not in a good way)

Last edited:
The only way to get over that fear is lots of drills. Get study guides and work out problems obsessively.

eg. I got over my fear of trig in 10th by intensely working through over a hundred problems in a study guide.

I never had an abacus to learn with. What did help was another kind of drill in 4th with times tables

Teacher drew a clock on the board. In the center was the number of the table. She'd make us stand up, all 40 of us and randomly call us and then point to a number on the clock. You had max 3s to answer and if you got it right sat down or otherwise you wrote the entire number table of that day down ten times. Next week same drama and so on for several weeks until we'd committed to memory up to 13 for times table.

This is what burn-in meant in 4th std for me
Is it worth teaching Abacus to your child in the age of calculators? Just curious.
A business man once told me being able to do numbers in your head made a huge difference.

There are ways to do mathematics faster but at this age, why even try that. I have no idea if using abacus enables one to conquer the fear of maths. Probably someone who teaches kids at this level can relate better.
looking for 12 yrs. old child to over came maths fear (feel boring/don't like subject)
A business man once told me being able to do numbers in your head made a huge difference.
+1

If making the kid play with numbers is the idea, you could also try the Trachtenberg method. 250 Rs book.

I am assuming that at least one parent has some interest in maths.

I went to SIP abacus. Joined in 2nd grade or something and it went on till 7th grade. I passed some 10 levels and even grandmaster 1 level. For me, Abacus was very beneficial. For trivial calculations, I never touched a calculator. For trigonometry, exponentiation, yes, I need a calculator. It helped immensely in competative scenarios line JEE, K-CET, COMED-K and GRE, where speed and accuracy is important.

Your are right but till Class 12 No Calculator allowed here in Mumbai School/Colleges.

Also I found even 12th Class Commerce student feel hard to calculate PERCENTAGES if you ask 10% of Rs.12500/- (side effect of calculators), so ....

Your are right but till Class 12 No Calculator allowed here in Mumbai School/Colleges.
What introduction of calculators does is increase the syllabus since you spend less time to calculate
Also I found even 12th Class Commerce student feel hard to calculate PERCENTAGES if you ask 10% of Rs.12500/- (side effect of calculators), so ....
That is just sad. I used to think Indians, were naturally good at maths because that was my experience abroad. Course when I got back here I realised this was not true at all. On average no better or worse than westerners.

I visited a doctor recently and I said to write total number of tablets in a circle at the end of each compound. He asked me to do it since he's no good in mental arithmetic. And you wonder how it's possible to become a doctor in that case :grumpy:

but issue is, hard to teach at home, at classes proper teacher explain with step by step and also discussion with other student & teacher add more to various good things..
The book is simple, lucid and aptly detailed so complexity is not an issue at all. Even you or his mother can teach it to him.

For the discussions part, he can do that in his regular coaching, if he attends any.

Back