Laptops AC 9650

Hi All,

I have a laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN5151-52 and facing issues with the inbuilt Intel AC 9650 network adaptor, it works sometimes, sometimes stop working, sometimes disappears from the device manager so was thinking of changing it, looking for recommendations like should I buy the same or if there is a better model for it.

Did you try reseating it? Or completely uninstalling drivers and installing latest ones directly from intel?
Done, uninstalling, reinstalling OS, updating drivers and what not, I have not reseated it as it is a little difficult to open the laptop, but yes that is on my agenda to open the laptop and remove it, clean it and reseat it

it could just be that, changing network adapters is not that simple, some can have compatibility issues, and info on this subject is decidedly scarce. You'd be better off with a usb dongle, however if you're a bit of a tinkerer, it could be a good opportunity to experiment.

@tommy_vercetti

Although @blackhorn's concerns are mostly justified, here are a few things:
  • Are you on the latest BIOS? Since Intel often bundles new Wireless Microcode (WCOD) updates with the ME firmware, updating the BIOS and/or the ME is worth a try.
  • In case you're determined to upgrade, try to locate a Wi-Fi 6(E)/Bluetooth 5 module like Intel AX200/AX210 or Killer AX1650/AX1675 from eBay to make your purchase future-proof. Fenvi is a very reputed OEM in this regard.
    • The Intel Wireless-AC 9560 chipset is usually sold as Companion RF (CRF) modules. They are dependent on the CNVi-compatible host CPU and can only be substituted with another CRF module. Please share a picture of the existing module to determine its nature before placing the order.
  • Acer doesn't impose any kind of whitelist on aftermarket WLAN modules, which means you can just pop out the existing M.2 card out and install the new one.

Last edited:
@tommy_vercetti

• Are you on the latest BIOS? Since Intel often bundles new Wireless Microcode (WCOD) updates with the ME firmware, updating the BIOS and/or the ME is worth a try.
  • In case you're determined to upgrade, try to locate a Wi-Fi 6(E)/Bluetooth 5 module like Intel AX200/AX210 or Killer AX1650/AX1675 from eBay to make your purchase future-proof. Fenvi is a very reputed OEM in this regard.
    • The Intel Wireless-AC 9560 chipset is usually sold as Companion RF (CRF) modules. They are dependent on the CNVi-compatible host CPU and can only be substituted with another CRF module. Please share a picture of the existing module to determine its nature before placing the order.
  • Acer doesn't impose any kind of whitelist on aftermarket WLAN modules, which means you can just pop out the existing M.2 card out and install the new one.
Thank you for the detailed notes, BIOS is updated to the latest version 1.28 for Acer Nitro 5 AN5151-52, Acer has actually not updated the drivers or BIOS since 2018, I bought this in Jul 2019 from flipkart, in the next few days I will open it and remove the module to check it.

@tommy_vercetti

@Titokhan

I have a Asus r510jx dm230t, there is very little documentation on it, since its an India specific variant, I think in the international market it referred to as the Asus X550, I am wanting to upgrade the wifi module for the same, what needs to be paid head to, as of now, the latest driver is a qualcomm atheros wireless lan driver. Laptops was bought sometime in 2016

@blackhorn

Hope @tommy_vercetti doesn't mind if we hijack his thread. :p

Yes, the Indian R510JX variant is based on the international X550JX series. The model usually ships with a half-mini PCIe Qualcomm Atheros or Realtek module. Since ASUS doesn't impose any whitelist, you can upgrade to any newer card. However, the half-mini PCIe interface has been phased out in favor of the M.2 interface, which means you have to use an adapter alongside a M.2 card (example) or pick a vendor that still manufactures half-mini PCIe cards based on modern chipsets (example).

IMO, you should choose the first option, but search eBay to find a suitable deal.

Last edited:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: So I finally got time to open the laptop, and remove the card and reseat it, now Wifi is working, and Bluetooth is gone :laughing::laughing::laughing:, tried updating the drivers no luck, have this in my device manager

1628347965301.png

Attachments

• ecc03393-75b0-4ab8-bc03-2868b5e1c887.jpeg
    ecc03393-75b0-4ab8-bc03-2868b5e1c887.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 117
:laughing::laughing::laughing: So I finally got time to open the laptop, and remove the card and reseat it, now Wifi is working, and Bluetooth is gone :laughing::laughing::laughing:, tried updating the drivers no luck, have this in my device manager

View attachment 111051
This sounds like a driver conflict, last ditch is to look at any hardware drivers you may have installed before this problem started to occur, I had the same problem in my HP laptop which I got rid off a few years back, maybe you can try to reinstall those drivers, and see if its resolves the problem. Doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

Last edited:
i can get one through my dealer - if you are looking for 9560WGWG

WiFi Modules - 802.11 Intel Wireless-AC 9560, 2x2 AC+BT, Gigabit

i recently upgraded some of my nuc mini pc ones through him. he has a few models in stock for laptop replacements - this one costs 1900 +gst

Thank you very much will update you in a day

So like the OP, finally mustered the guts to open up my laptop, and this is what I found.
A half mini PCIe, and I think it’s Broadcom. Are there any pointers about which model to settle
on and where to source it. Main aim is to be able to connect to 5ghz networks while BT 5 would be a nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Attachments

• 583E2DF5-96B3-46E9-973B-11178325DC8A.jpeg
    583E2DF5-96B3-46E9-973B-11178325DC8A.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 96
  • 10CF3278-C1D4-46DA-B729-038D1306E1C8.jpeg
    10CF3278-C1D4-46DA-B729-038D1306E1C8.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 100
@blackhorn

.... However, the half-mini PCIe interface has been phased out in favor of the M.2 interface, which means you have to use an adapter alongside a M.2 card (example) or pick a vendor that still manufactures half-mini PCIe cards based on modern chipsets (example)...

On another note, is the laptop made by HP? Then (depending on the generation) you may need to remove the whitelist before installing a third-part card.

Back