Wraith

Skilled
This is the hardware I have

1 desktop

1 laptop

1 Dlink Dir 615 router (A) 192.168.2.1

1 Dlink DI 524 router (B) 192.168.0.1

And this is how my network is currently

The broadband connection is connected to router A. The desktop is connected to router A. This works fine.

The laptop can also connect to router A and this works fine too. I am able to share files and printer between the desktop and the laptop.

This is where things get complicated. Router A is in my room and I have a ps3 in the living room which also needs internet access. I can connect the ps3 to router A using a wire. But owing to the size and shape of my house (my room being at one end), I am unable to access the wifi beyond the living room.

So i decided to use another router i.e. router B in the living room so that the entire house has wifi coverage.

I connected router A to the wan port of router B. And then connected the ps3 to router B. Again this works fine.

The laptop can connect to either router A or B and i am able to access the internet. But when i connect the laptop to router B, i am unable to share files between the desktop and laptop( i guess because of 2 different networks).

How can I share files and printer between the desktop and the laptop when they are connected to routers A and B respectively?

I read something about bridging 2 routers but i couldnt understand much and nor could i find any such option for the routers I have.

Any inputs will really be helpful :)

Edit 12.55pm : Got the whole thing working!!

Configured the routers as

Router A 192.168.0.2

Router B 192.168.0.1

Disabled DHCP on router B. Connected the lan port on router A to lan port on router B.

And everything works fine now!

This was mentioned in another thread here http://www.techenclave.com/networking/dual-router-configuration-how-152499.html

But i though by doing so i will not be able to access the internet. But then after searching a bit i found that internet access wont be affected.

And now I am able to do almost everything that i want over the network.

you need to just change router 2 to something like: 192.168.0.11, and all the devices will be able to connect, you dont need to bridge. on the second router connect the router a to the LAN port of router B. thats all there is to it. i have a similar setup :

linksys wrt54g2 on wan - 1 pc

dlink dir 300 (1) for wifi extension - 1 pc, 2 laptops

dlink dir 300 (2) for another region wifi extension - flashed with ddwrt to convert to wifi repeater for dir 300 (1) - 1 laptop/ phones

Back