Accidentally made a big payment to someone (person 1) assuming (person 2) from sbi IMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureized

Skilled
As stated,
The person listed to whom payment was transferred is already listed in (beneficiary list).
But I cannot confirm what to do ahead/.

Payment is deducted from my account, unsure which account **I added as beneficiary**

Should i contact all IMPS guys ? |
Or
Everyone in my bank accounts ? (listed someway ?)

Imo, First step would be to identify which account has the transfer gone to. Isnt the bank statement able to help you identify to which account it was transferred? Which bank account do you have?

Otherwise, the bank should be able to tell you that. Once you get to know that, then you can pursue the funds.

First of all identify whose name is listed as the beneficiary in the account by logging into the sbionline website then call the customer care of sbi if the amount to any other person other than the person listed in your account.
This much I know.

As stated,
The person listed to whom payment was transferred is already listed in (beneficiary list).

Payment is deducted from my account, unsure which account **I added as beneficiary**

Or

Check your account statement under description you'll find the name and account number.

Banks cannot reverse imps/neft unless its fraud transaction, Contact the beneficiary directly and ask them to refund the money.

check to which beneficiary name and ac u have wrongly transferred. If u have contact of him call him and tell him to transfer back to your ac. I don't think so bank will help in re crediting back to u kinda wrong transfers mostly from my view point but still check with ur bank branch. Always re check when u transfer funds if it goes to right person with correct ac details.

As stated,

Or
Please contact your bank directly. They can help in some manner. I read somewhere they have a procedure for dealing with such issues.

I think no need to panic as here you havent really made payment so someone outsider via paytm etc. but your own beneficiary. SO simply contact him/her and ask to reverse the same and he/she will do it else file an FIR against them.

As stated,

Or
You need to write to you branch manager...
A few months back i had done a online RTGS to a wrong beneficiary account number.
I immediately informed my branch manager who asked me to give the same in writing.
I got the money back in 4 working days. I believe they have some mechanism to mark lein on the beneficiary account in such cases.

You need to write to you branch manager...
A few months back i had done a online RTGS to a wrong beneficiary account number.
I immediately informed my branch manager who asked me to give the same in writing.
I got the money back in 4 working days. I believe they have some mechanism to mark lein on the beneficiary account in such cases.
what time is it for rtgs, cause its work real time right? or it maybe because you paid in the evening and settlement hasnt been done yet.

IMPS is a real time transaction, you can only ask the person to make a reverse transaction if he/she agrees.
honestly, chances are less but you can try get in touch with your manager. If nothing happens can lodge a FIR as nritech said.

Get the Bank to call the beneficiary and explain the situation. That is much better than you directly calling the beneficiary unless you him/her. If the bank calls there is a sense of authenticity to it. I once had ICICI bank call me (some 7 year ago) and tell that someone from the Bank had done a wrong NEFT into my account. In that case the payee went to bank and filled the form for NEFT. I was skeptical at first but then I transferred the money back to the sender account after 2 days. I said I will transfer only after 2 days because I do not want some auto adjustment happen at night and reverse the transaction. Hope you get your money back.

what time is it for rtgs, cause its work real time right? or it maybe because you paid in the evening and settlement hasnt been done yet.
I realised the amount was sent to incorrect beneficiary the next day when the actual beneficiary called me saying he didn't get the amount....

One doesn't need to panic in such cases cause it's your money and you have accidentally transferred it to wrong account...
The incorrect beneficiary cannot stake claim on the amount unless he can prove that he has received the same as a payment from you, If he does you can contest in court and obviously win the case and get the money back with interest along with the costs of litigation...

Imagine you sent some stuff of yours to a wrong address. Just coz the stuff reached the wrong address/person doesn't mean he can keep it. ...
IMPS is a real time transaction, you can only ask the person to make a reverse transaction if he/she agrees.
honestly, chances are less but you can try get in touch with your manager. If nothing happens can lodge a FIR as nritech said.
IMPS limit is 2L max.
OP doesn't need to contact the beneficiary(wrong beneficiary this case)as he has no business with him...
He has to inform his bank. They will inform the beneficiary bank/branch who will then take appropriate action... If the amount has not been withdrawn then it's easier to get it back. Now if the wrong beneficiary has spent it then it may take some time to get it back I guess...

Last edited:
I realised the amount was sent to incorrect beneficiary the next day when the actual beneficiary called me saying he didn't get the amount....

One doesn't need to panic in such cases cause it's your money and you have accidentally transferred it to wrong account...
The incorrect beneficiary cannot stake claim on the amount unless he can prove that he has received the same as a payment from you, If he does you can contest in court and obviously win the case and get the money back with interest along with the costs of litigation...

Imagine you sent some stuff of yours to a wrong address. Just coz the stuff reached the wrong address/person doesn't mean he can keep it. ...

IMPS limit is 2L max.
OP doesn't need to contact the beneficiary(wrong beneficiary this case)as he has no business with him...
He has to inform his bank. They will inform the beneficiary bank/branch who will then take appropriate action... If the amount has not been withdrawn then it's easier to get it back. Now if the wrong beneficiary has spent it then it may take some time to get it back I guess...
Are you sure? Did you have any prior experience of this? No bank has the authority to simply deduct money from an account with explicit approval of the account holder.

It is certainly not as easy as you make it sound. My father worked in a bank and at times even the bank officials would make a mistake and transfer funds to a wrong account. Banks can auto-deduct the money, but if the person who has received the money withdraws it or transfers it to some other account, then you are at his mercy. Sure, the courts will decide in your favor, but even they give a big leeway as to the timeline in which the amount is to be refunded. And the less it is said of our judiciary system and it's delays, the better.
In most cases like these, it was usually a lawyer who would do it. Because for them, going to court is not a chore and they also know how to use the loopholes to delay returning the amount for as long as they can.

I don't remember all that much about Indian banks anymore, but didn't you get a SMS confirmation with a link if it was not done by you?
Where does that link land to?

Not sure which bank/app you used for the transfer, but all of them list some part of the ID in the transaction details. Also, contact the bank immediately and keep a written mail trail as it will be of prime importance in terms of documentation later on if things don't go your way.

Well for whom the talks and chats began that person himself seems to be lost somewhere in the transactions.. no responses!

Last edited:
Today I went to local sbi branch for address change & phone number change and they gave me a single form containing many details as mentioned below which took me 2 full hours for completion.

For debit card decline transaction its charging 27rs and for 4th debit card transaction its charging 11rs likewise which were shown while they issued me a new pass book as well but to the same account number.

So for any change of address, phone number, email ID etc there is a single form.

So in case of wrongful debit of money I think there would be any such form but they always are asking adhar,pan, etc mostly.

For debit card decline transaction its charging 27rs and for 4th debit card transaction its charging 11rs likewise which were shown while they issued me a new pass book as well but to the same account number.
27rs decline transaction? Means transactions declined via deliberately or accidentally?
If so then are similar transaction reversal fess as well?

27rs decline transaction? Means transactions declined via deliberately or accidentally?
If so then are similar transaction reversal fess as well?
I didn't know as debit card got declined in a Pos transaction while no funds in the account and I asked the shopwala to swipe to see once or twice and it got declined both times since I forgot about no funds in it but it charged me 27rs for such failed debit card decline transactions.

And 11rs for every 4th time withdrawal of cash using sbi atm card.

This I came to know today only after I got my new pass book for my new address based on my adhar card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back