ACT fibernet launches 1Gbps at ₹ 1,999 (3.3TB) in Delhi

swatkats

Skilled

Broadband is getting interesting in India. At 50% discount compared to Jio, Airtel and Tata! :D

vjseEuV.jpeg

About ACT I can say one thing, since using them in Bangalore -

My Plan was 200 Mb which has been upgraded to 350 Mbps now and this is all because of pressure from Jio/Airtel. With Elon Musk about to debut Broadband Services in India, I am sure they will be offering good plans in India.

FYI, Starlink Satellite and Fiber broadband have no connection.

Simple, they are chasing competition.

Btw, I'll have to give credit to Jio Fiber for such plans in India.
:tongueout:

I am using Spectranet unlimited 1 gbps @1249+GST.

It was 1149+GST earlier (with Rs.100 discount) for 6 months advance payment from Dec'17 to Jun'19.

Rs.1199+GST (monthly payment) after that till April'20 and 1249+GST since May'20 till now.

Not sure if I am right in saying this but for most of us I guess, beyond a certain speed, it just does not matter right? I understand 4K streaming and all may take more bandwidth but still anything beyond 50-75 Mbps might not be even utilized, given that most streaming platforms might using lower bit rate even for 4K. I am not sure.

I have 100 Mbps but only time when I actually utilize it fully is when torrents are downloaded where I get almost entire B/W utilized. Else, even with 3 TVs simultaneously running where one is using youtube at 1080p, another voot at 1080p and one jio tv (720p or less), I don't think it even crosses 20 Mbps.

But one thing I appreciate about 100 Mbps speed is that I am able to contribute via torrents when seeding. On couple of torrents, I have been able to upload 600+ GB (torrenting happens on RPi 4 so no laptop etc. is on) in short amount of time.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am right in saying this but for most of us I guess, beyond a certain speed, it just does not matter right? I understand 4K streaming and all may take more bandwidth but still anything beyond 50-75 Mbps might not be even utilized, given that most streaming platforms might using lower bit rate even for 4K. I am not sure.

I have 100 Mbps but only time when I actually utilize it fully is when torrents are downloaded where I get almost entire B/W utilized. Else, even with 3 TVs simultaneously running where one is using youtube at 1080p, another voot at 1080p and one jio tv (720p or less), I don't think it even crosses 20 Mbps.

But one thing I appreciate about 100 Mbps speed is that I am able to contribute via torrents when seeding. One couple of torrents, I have been able to upload 600+ GB (torrenting happens on RPi 4 so no laptop etc. is on) in short amount of time.
True. If you have multiple devices streaming at 4K then very high speeds matter. But most of the time, for personal consumption 50 Mbps is more than enough.
What did rest of the Indians do?

Why can't plans like this replicate PAN- India?

View attachment 121494
Most of the India has population that doesn't need high speed broadband. Tier 1 and tier 2 cities generally have high number of people of use who require good internet, so supply has followed demand. Setting up and providing broadband requires investment and to recoup that you need people wanting your service. In small cities people often will spend more on tv recharges than internet per month. They don't of the alternatives and most of the time there is no alternative other than BSNL.

As @raksrules said 100-150mbps is sufficient for streaming 4k but we need more quality than quantity. Though almost every company is offering fiber now but their latency is far below average. It's more like frustration for a gamer.
I am not a gamer but sometimes I do play a couple of online chess games.
anyone practically observed network usage for Netflix 4k HDR playback. I mean some geeks claim it as 7-10GB/hour. don't know if it's true.

As @raksrules Though almost every company is offering fiber now but their latency is far below average. It's more like frustration for a gamer.
I am not a gamer but sometimes I do play a couple of online chess games.
Well I am a gamer, so feel the frustration. Every night I play CS and every night I have to deal with poor latency issues. The funnier fact is those even more with garbage internet (High jitter but reportedly acceptable ping) are always at an advantage, becoming unkillable enemies practically.

I wish I could increase my latency in-game and level the playing field with these third world players

I am using Spectranet unlimited 1 gbps @1249+GST.

It was 1149+GST earlier (with Rs.100 discount) for 6 months advance payment from Dec'17 to Jun'19.

Rs.1199+GST (monthly payment) after that till April'20 and 1249+GST since May'20 till now.
If anyone seeing this thread is interested in Spectra then don't go for it no matter how cheap it is in your area, they throttle torrent speed and latency is also terrible for asian servers like Mumbai, Singapore, middle east, etc.
If torrent is not peered with Indian users then you won't get even 10% of your internet speed.
I emailed them multiple times, contacted on twitter and even talked to their CC rep and they said "torrent is illegal" so yes it is throttled.

After my plan ended they called me multiple times to renew and said they will even waiver "disconnection fee", yes they have disconnection fee for prepaid plans.
Now I use their CAT 5 cable in my balcony to dry clothes.

Last edited:
Now I use their CAT 5 cable in my balcony to dry clothes.
Lmfao. Our BSNL copper cables are now used in the gardens, to tie trees with one another and whatnot.

The sad part with our broadband situation is the average Indian has no clue what a good quality connection is. They just care for the speed in terms of raw data and satisfied as long as they see a good number. Just like megapixel number with mobile cameras nowadays. Before taking airtel fiber in my area I asked around on local Facebook groups to be best of my ability and everyone replied what a great connection, even when I asked specifically for latency. I was assured and took the connection with so much hope, but alas. When will we have some sense, basic sense? Or is this some first world thing to ask for a typically third world country? Never understood!

Lmfao. Our BSNL copper cables are now used in the gardens, to tie trees with one another and whatnot.

The sad part with our broadband situation is the average Indian has no clue what a good quality connection is. They just care for the speed in terms of raw data and satisfied as long as they see a good number. Just like megapixel number with mobile cameras nowadays. Before taking airtel fiber in my area I asked around on local Facebook groups to be best of my ability and everyone replied what a great connection, even when I asked specifically for latency. I was assured and took the connection with so much hope, but alas. When will we have some sense, basic sense? Or is this some first world thing to ask for a typically third world country? Never understood!
I have encountered exactly one ISP support person who understood what ping and routing was. He was from techical department and was forwarded to him after lot of escalation. He actually tested and understood which hop was causing ping and loss issues to international servers.
Apart from him, no one has actually tried to understand the situation. But I'll admit, those 1st contact customer care people are not trained for networking knowledge and have to strictly follow the script given to them. Can't fault them either.

If anyone seeing this thread is interested in Spectra then don't go for it no matter how cheap it is in your area, they throttle torrent speed and latency is also terrible for asian servers like Mumbai, Singapore, middle east, etc.
If torrent is not peered with Indian users then you won't get even 10% of your internet speed.
I emailed them multiple times, contacted on twitter and even talked to their CC rep and they said "torrent is illegal" so yes it is throttled.
See, this is the difference between Fake high-speed broadband and Real high-speed broadband.
Just because you provide 200Mbps and 300Mbps or even 1Gbps peering and say the fastest Broadband It does not make sense.

Interestingly, I was told by one of the guys at an ISP that always choose quality over quantity, everything has a limit.
I cannot comment on people who are stuck with 4k streaming and what is enough or not.

My work from home requires a stable 100Mbps connection. I tried Jugaad with 50/75, It does not help!

Anyway, 150Mbps works well for WFH and 4K streaming and a couple of mobile devices for us.

Last edited:
This is true, average Indian lacks awareness. Top companies are trying to fool people in the name of fiber, high speed , true broadband and all blah blah.
I remember I'd used airtel fixed line broadband in 2005/06 , postpaid for monthly Rs.800 for 128kbps, that wasn't even broadband as per broadband definition.
Same trend still continues not only with fixed fiber but with 4G data. I barely use mobile data, mine consumption is like 200MB - 1GB per month (yea that's right), I use only for checking emails and a few amazon notifications only.
Previously tried Vodaphone, idea, airtel now using Airtel don't know what 4G speeds other guys are getting but every time I check it - it's always 7-14mbps (In 100% network coverage area). Tried at many locations and even different cities, sometimes it reaches a few mbps more like 17-22.
Why boasting 5G 5G 5G, when you can't even provide 4G speeds i.e. 100mbps theoretically and we expect atleast 50-70% of it practically.
Is there anything wrong with my mobile phones ? Guys do share your speed results for 4G / 5G etc.

We are not competing with countries with high speed priority connections, companies here are trying to match it with global average.

Anyhow Airtel fiber has a edge when compared to Jio, I've seen airtel providing 100-110mbps for 100mbps plan & Jio providing 135-143mbps for 150mbps plan.
Latency is a notch better than Jio as I experienced.

I was paying Rs. 2000 /month for a 90mbps plan which was offered by my local distributor who was distributing Airtel's bandwidth locally.
Even after paying this price he was trying some cheap tricks. A couple of months back I noticed for a few days I was getting true 45mbps only whereas speedtest.net shows 90-95mbps.
I don't care about speedtest.net I know how to check it lol.
This is the main reason I switched to Jio, Airtel isn't available here other wise it's a bit better in my opinion.
I was loosing faith in this speedtest.net now it's not very reliable solution for me. I use fast.com and a few other sites to check.

Taken from another site, they have a huge thread about spectra throttling speed:

Anyhow Airtel fiber has a edge when compared to Jio, I've seen airtel providing 100-110mbps for 100mbps plan & Jio providing 135-143mbps for 150mbps plan.
Latency is a notch better than Jio as I experienced.
Airtel is best in my experience, I had 100/100 plan but I used to get 80-100Mbps because I was on copper but now they have upgraded my internet to FTTH and I get 125Mbps(15MB/s).
They actually pulled a trick on me and probably on everyone in my area because I'm sure no one wants to be disturbed due to covid and WFH so one day they disconnected my internet and when I complained they said everyone in your area has been upgraded to FTTH and our team must have contacted you about it which they didn't.
They said old system is disabled and now only FTTH will work and if you want we can send our team and they can install it in an hour.
I had no choice but to accept but it was a free upgrade so didn't mind.
I have used MTNL, Sifi, Hathway, Spectra, Siti in the past and they all had terrible routing.
I used to get 90-110ms to Singapore and now on Airtel it is 70-75ms from Delhi.
Middle east is 60ms.

Is this site even loading properly? I've had issues logging in since yesterday.
loading fine for me.
once, the best site for BB in India now in bad state..
susabh had taken it to different direction. bloated with ads and tracking. check your adblock setting if you want to use that site.

Last edited:
Back