ADSL wireless router or switch

Hi guys , need some help here...

I am in the process of setting up a home network with wireless internet access.

I currently have a BSNL adsl connection.

Things I will connect to the network

Main computer (my rig)
Another rig in another room
2 NAS storage devices
2 lapstops for which wifi net access is required (but sometimes, Iwant to wire the laptops into the network for file sharing etc.

As I undertand it, I have the following options

Option 1
Buy a adsl wireless modem with built in router. The problem is that these usually have only 4 ports, which will be insufficient for me.

Option 2
Can I keep the current Huawei modem which BSNL gave me and buy one of those netgear 8 port switches.
Wi this, can I connect the modem to the switch and all the computer to the switch. How do I get wifi then?

Option 3
adsl wireless modem with built in router and a switch.
Connect some computer/devices to the switch and the rest to switch. WIll this work? Obviously this will be the most expensive.

All this will have to support the BSNL connection I have where I have to dialup/login for the connection to get started. Thanks

Get a Linksys WAG200G, which is a wireless ADSL modem plus router. It has four LAN ports, so you'll probably need a switch for your requirements. It's the simplest, most hassle-free setup. Your option 3. Not as expensive as you may think. The WAG200G is around 4k, last I checked. For maybe 800 bucks to a 1000 bucks, you could get a decent switch. Not quite sure about switch prices though, so you'll have to check up on that.

simplythebest said:
Main computer (my rig)
Another rig in another room
2 NAS storage devices
2 lapstops for which wifi net access is required (but sometimes, Iwant to wire the laptops into the network for file sharing etc.

--

Why do you need to wire the lappys to the network for file sharing? Dosen't file sharing work over wifi?

TheIndian said:
Why do you need to wire the lappys to the network for file sharing? Dosen't file sharing work over wifi?

I use wi-fi to transfer files between my pc and laptop, and its not that consistent, with speeds going up and down, and the transfer stopping now and then. This is ok when the biggest file i transfer is a spreadsheet.

I will be using the NAS to store my music and movies, which may involve transfers of a few gb.

I would prefer the stability of a wired connection for this

Back