Advice for budget gaming PC without monitor (budget 25k)

Argus

Adept
Advice for budget gaming PC without monitor (budget 25k)

A friend's friend needs to buy a pc after a month. He already has a monitor, keyboard and mouse. He would mainly use this rig for gaming.

Few points to consider :

- Intel or AMD does not matter, and similarly for gfx card nVidia or ATi both are equally welcome :)

- Which would be better for gaming : a quad core processor or the newer core i3. Will it fit his budget ?

- hdd will have to be 500 gb fixed

- ram 2 gb preferred so the money saved can go to better gfx card. It will be upgraded later.

- Which gfx card.... 5750 ?

Please pour in your suggestions :)

Here's the duly filled template :

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 25K excluding monitor, keyboard and mouse

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

An old P4

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. 17" CRT Monitor

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Any

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

3. GPU - Any

4. HDD - 500 GB

5. PSU - Any (preferably below 3k)

6. Cabinet - preferably upto 1.5k

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

2. Monitor - 22" TFT

3. RAM - will probably upgrade from 2 gb to 4 gb. Not sure.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Nehru Place, Delhi

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Mostly gaming

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

None

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No idea. Please suggest keeping a 22" monitor in mind.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Anything will be good for a person upgrading from a intel p4 pc.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. Yes but not right now. Maybe in a few months when the user learns a bit more about it.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 or XP

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/template-what-should-i-buy-use-143714.html

Follow the format. Eventhough u have given few details there are still many missing.

i) Size of the monitor.

ii) What kind of games he plays and preferred gaming resolution

iii) Current config

iv) PSU that he uses. Very important when getting a GPU

v) Where u gonna buy the stuff. You profile says u are from Delhi. So we can assume Delhi. Thats it. Is online ok. Is 2nd hand stuff ok.

So it would be better if u follow the format.

^ Here's a quick answer to your post. Also, I'm filling the template now. Will edit my post in a few mins. I appreciate your help :)

i) Size of the monitor.

Currently a 17" CRT but will be upgraded to a 22" TFT in a few months.

ii) What kind of games he plays and preferred gaming resolution

No idea. Please suggest keeping a 22" monitor in mind.

iii) Current config

An old p4.

iv) PSU that he uses. Very important when getting a GPU

new psu needed.

v) Where u gonna buy the stuff. You profile says u are from Delhi. So we can assume Delhi. Thats it. Is online ok. Is 2nd hand stuff ok.

Will purchase from Nehru Place, Delhi. The guy needs brand new stuff with bill. For e.g. if I tell him that funky has a 5770 up for grabs and for a used item you can't get anything more genuine than this... he will be like duh ?? :p

Proccy: PhemonII X2 555BE ~ 5k

Mobo: MSI 785G-E53 ~ 5.3k/ Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-USB3 ~ 5.8k

RAM: 2GB Corsair/GSkill 1333MHz DDRIII RAM ~ 2.9k

HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12 ~ 2.2k

PSU: FSP SAGAII 400w~2k/Gigabyte Superb ~ 2.2k

GPU: Sapphire HD5750 1GB GDDR5 ~ 8.2k

Total: 25-26k

Ask him to get a MSI Hawk HD5770 1GB GDDR5 ~ 10.2k if he is able to extend his budget as he is gonna get a 22" soon. Will give that extra juice in some demanding games.

Reason for getting a 555BE is initial batches have high unlocking potential and you may be lucky enough to unlock it to a quad core :) Many in TE have had successful unlocks. Check the CPU/Mobo corner.

Even it doesn't unlock it is a very capable proccy for gaming and u can get a get a feature rich AM3 mobos for ~5-5.5k. The cheapest of H-55 mobos needed for the i-3 530 costs 5.1k.

Gaurish said:
Any cheap AMD mobos supporting DDR3?

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/cheapest-ddr3-mobo-amd-555be-inr-164061.html

GA-MA74GMT-S2 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification

Its a Gigabyte mobo with 740G(HT1.0). Has SB710 but not sure whether it will unlock a 555BE.

Argus said:
Thanks for the super prompt reply mate. Repped.

Any chance to fit a core i3 in this budget ?

:)

Ya u can fit in a i-3 530. But 555BE is better as u have a high chance(80% and above i guess) of unlocks.

But here goes

Core i-3 530 ~ 5.7k

Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H ~ 6.6k/ Intel DH55TC ~ 5.1k

Most prices taken from

http://www.smcinternational.in/

http://www.deltapage.com/

SMC is also a dealer in TE just in case u are not aware. PM him for quotes as he is based in NP.

Please forgive me for this however there is nothing called as Budget Gamin in this config.

If he plans to use a 22" screen then he is bound to go either with an Radeon 5770/5850. That will certainly turn lot of things here however:

DarkAngel said:
Its a Gigabyte mobo with 740G(HT1.0). Has SB710 but not sure whether it will unlock a 555BE.

Everything else looks good apart from use of older 740G chipset:no: so two main things.

* Availability: Is it still being sold in market or Gigabyte was phased out this model?
* What all goodies is one losing if going for 740G Chipset based board instead of 785G chipset?

Gaurish said:
Everything else looks good apart from use of older 740G chipset:no: so two main things.

* Availability: Is it still being sold in market or Gigabyte was phased out this model?

* What all goodies is one losing if going for 740G Chipset based board instead of 785G chipset?

Well the HT 1.0 will affect IGP performance if used with a AM3 processor IIRC. If used with a GPU then no issues in using the mobo. It shouldn't be phased out as it must be new model with DDRIII for cheaper DDRIII mobos.

Chk with Rahul(TheITWares)

Try to find a Biostar TA785G3(DDRIII) mobo. availability is scare though i guess. Price is 3.5-4k. PM mediahome coz he was the one who listed in TE and then later it was out of stock with him too :(

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-...erboards-heaven-just-touched-your-160624.html

This i3 for 5.5k which you have mentioned, is it 2 cores or 4?

How is the intel Quad Core Q8400?

And how does it compare to PhemonII X2 555BE and the i3?

^Well its a old architecture now and the socket 775 is EOL. Also it depends on your needs. i-3 530 is a dual core processor. Also i would suggest googling before posting. Just Google the processor name and i will give u all specs.

FYI all i-3's from intel are dual cores. There are no quad core i-3 from intel till date.

DarkAngel said:
Well the HT 1.0 will affect IGP performance if used with a AM3 processor IIRC. If used with a GPU then no issues in using the mobo. It shouldn't be phased out as it must be new model with DDRIII for cheaper DDRIII mobos.

Chk with Rahul(TheITWares)

Try to find a Biostar TA785G3(DDRIII) mobo. availability is scare though i guess. Price is 3.5-4k. PM mediahome coz he was the one who listed in TE and then later it was out of stock with him too :(

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-...erboards-heaven-just-touched-your-160624.html

so question about good entry level board with onboard graphics still remains. there is biostar but It seems people don't trust that brand that much. Hope, some good mobos are launched to compete with G41 ddr3 based mobo + E5400 which is true VFM.

wr8_utd said:
Anyway what would you advice me to go for? The i3 with it's dual core or the quad core of the 8400?

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Checking out the comparisons there is not much between the two and the 8400 is better than the AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE in many aspects. Price and performance and longliveity wise what would you recommend?

There is no point of spending so much money on Q8400 / 2.66 GHz 1333MHz,4 MB,LGA which costs 8150/-. its based on old technology.

If you really want to go for Intel route, go for Intel core i5 - 650 3.2 GHz, 4MB Cache which costs Rs9000/-. Its the latest from Intel.

Gaurish said:
There is no point of spending so much money on Q8400 / 2.66 GHz 1333MHz,4 MB,LGA which costs 8150/-. its based on old technology.

If you really want to go for Intel route, go for Intel core i5 - 650 3.2 GHz, 4MB Cache which costs Rs9000/-. Its the latest from Intel.

Err. Thats a worst choice one could make. The i-5 6xx mobos are not the right choice for 99.99% ppl. If Intel is a must would be better to get a Core i- 530 2.93 GHz, 4MB Cache Rs.5700.

The i-5 650 costs Rs.3300 more for a small speed bump and it supports a niche encryption standard IIRC.

DarkAngel said:
Err. Thats a worst choice one could make. The i-5 6xx mobos are not the right choice for 99.99% ppl. If Intel is a must would be better to get a Core i- 530 2.93 GHz, 4MB Cache Rs.5700.

The i-5 650 costs Rs.3300 more for a small speed bump and it supports a niche encryption standard IIRC.

Thank you for correcting me:D

Back