Advice for new i7 rig for a friend :)

kekerode

Adept
Hello friends ... need your advice to build i7 rig for very good friend of mine :)

I have filled the template as far as possible ... for extra ... LCD, cabinet and PSU are very much depending on budget.

I would try to pick up all the hardware 2nd hand to save money :D

1. Q: What is your budget?

50K max total

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

None

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

None

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel i7 920 d0 / 930 d0

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard .. Gigabyte preferred

3. GPU - any entry level card to use system

4. RAM - 6GB DDR3 1333/1600

5. PSU - mosty more than 550 watts .. because of future GPU upgrade

6. HDD - WD Blue/Black .. capacity bound to budget

7. LCD - not decided .. bound to budget

8. Misc - Keyboard, mouse, DVD-RW

9. CPU HSF - if budget permits

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following if going for gaming

1. GPU - depending on resolution and money

2. RAM - total 12GB or more if needed for work in future

3. HDD - may be WD Black RAID-0 or SSD if needed for work in future

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Mumbai

2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Memory and CPU intensive apps :)

2. Gaming in future but not sure (in fact I doubt about it)

3. Browsing

4. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

None

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Not yet

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Not decided but depending on budget :(

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Linux - SUSE/RHEL

best way to get a i7 to fit into your budget would be pick the processor+motherboard+RAM in seconds ... other wise you are looking to spend anything between 30 to 35k on those three alone.

Processor : Rs. 14,350.00 (i7 930) ( as of now all 930 are D0)

Motherboard: Rs.11,300.00 ( MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard)

RAM: Rs. 7,850.00 (Gskill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI) 4 GB kit

PSU: RS:4500 (Corsair VX550W)

GPU:Rs. 6,500.0 (powercolor 5670)

Display:Rs. 6,170.00 (AOC 19")

the cheapest gigabyte board that i can see for x58 is 18k ... MSI x58 pro-e it seems is the cheapest motherboard out there. Without including a case/keyboard mouse i am already exceeding your budget ... if you can save a few thousand in getting the motherboard ram and processor then maybe you sqeese them all in under 50k.

i dont see the need of you buying an i7 pc !

desktop processing is your main concern and some movies ! get a 24" screen with x2 555 unlockable to quad is what i suggest ! :)

kolguy said:
best way to get a i7 to fit into your budget would be pick the processor+motherboard+RAM in seconds ... other wise you are looking to spend anything between 30 to 35k on those three alone.

Processor : Rs. 14,350.00 (i7 930) ( as of now all 930 are D0)

Motherboard: Rs.11,300.00 ( MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard)

RAM: Rs. 7,850.00 (Gskill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI) 4 GB kit

PSU: RS:4500 (Corsair VX550W)

GPU:Rs. 6,500.0 (powercolor 5670)

Display:Rs. 6,170.00 (AOC 19")

the cheapest gigabyte board that i can see for x58 is 18k ... MSI x58 pro-e it seems is the cheapest motherboard out there. Without including a case/keyboard mouse i am already exceeding your budget ... if you can save a few thousand in getting the motherboard ram and processor then maybe you sqeese them all in under 50k.

Thanks for reply :D

Updated the thread mate :) ... I have intention to buy 2nd hand h/w only .. just forgot to mention previously.

I have noted down the display :) ... btw I don't need that much costly GPU .. for gaming costly GPU will be added later

buddingwhizkid said:
i dont see the need of you buying an i7 pc !

desktop processing is your main concern and some movies ! get a 24" screen with x2 555 unlockable to quad is what i suggest ! :)
Sorry buddy ... I have updated the thread ... We have use of Memory and CPU intensive apps like databases, ERP apps etc etc ... that's why i7 :D

dude if your not going to play games .. then theres no use of future upgradation of GFX ... hence no use of purchasing vx550 .. get vx 450 or cm extreme series !! you'll save few bucks there

buddingwhizkid said:
then get an i5 750! save 5k and spend that on ram :)

or if it is quite cpu intensive get x6 1090t instead :)
I though of i5 ... but problem is MAX RAM with i5 and 4GB modules r damn costly :mad:

x6 1090t ... is good but here apps are not properly threaded ... so i7 will be more effective

It would be great if someone can pour suggestions about cabinet .. around 2-3k

kekerode said:
I though of i5 ... but problem is MAX RAM with i5 and 4GB modules r damn costly :mad:

x6 1090t ... is good but here apps are not properly threaded ... so i7 will be more effective

It would be great if someone can pour suggestions about cabinet .. around 2-3k
Not really 4GB GSkill 1600MHz kit costs only 6.2k. Why do u wanna get a 4GB Single stick :S

GSkill RAMS

DarkAngel said:
Not really 4GB GSkill 1600MHz kit costs only 6.2k. Why do u wanna get a 4GB Single stick :S

GSkill RAMS
Well thing is ... I am already utilizing my 12GB .. and want more :) ... and yes I am talking about 4GB single stick

from above thread ... GSKill 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ SINGLE MODULE CL9 RIPJAWS - F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 9800/-

BTW ... this rig is for my friend and I would like to build it with 3x2GB initially ... if there is too much constraint then only will go with 2x2GB kit

buddingwhizkid said:
get antec 300 ! great cabinet ! quite room and nice airflow ! :)
good cabinet ... but looks like lacks some cable management ... any better option for upto 3k ?? :S

^ I thought CM 690 was around 4.3k :S .... anyways ... found NZXT Gamma :D ... thanks to Bikey for that :yeah:

Can somebody please help with price of G.Skill and Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333/1600 ??
Any more LCD options ??

Back