Laptops Advice needed on Transporting laptop within India

jammy420

Adept
I have purchased a laptop and Ssd, ram external hdd from USA to India and located at thrissur. I want to transfer to pune. Going to choose dtdc / professional or FedEx. Want to insure them. Dtdc and FedEx charges 2% of the total cost. All components together costs 150000. Therefore the insurance works out to 3k plus 1.2k for transportation. I would like to cut some insurance costs. Can I quote 50% of the cost?

Should I ship the components separately? Or in the same box? Ram 7k Ssd 17k hdd 8k and laptop 1.10L. Looking for some good advice

Avoid Professional at all costs, one of the worst courier companies. Between Fedex and DTDC i would go with Fedex. Shipping components together or separately depends upon the person who is packing the stuff, if you don't do good packing then the laptop itself is at a greater risk than RAM, SSD etc.

And regarding insurance, will you be happy with getting half the cost of goods in case they are lost or broken? Why even take insurance if you are ready to take a risk.

Thanks for the advice regarding professional.

Basic idea of the question regarding lower quote for insurance is that when you insure courier service takes extra care of the shipment. Hence lower risk of damage. So if you quote half the price, you can save money. Yeah it is typical Indian mentality of spending for the mobile but saving on the cover

As i said insurance is all about your risk taking ability, so you have to decide on that. The most important point is who is the packing the stuff Parents? Friends? Excellent packing is required for such a costly and fragile product.

OK. Dtdc or FedEx in case of damage or loss, will they reimburse the full cost declared? Any bills to be submitted to declare the amount?

If you request Fedex would come to your place to pack and pickup (if that service is available in your area) the product. The packing would be professional and safe. For insurance please read the fine print carefully and ask all the questions. Usually the full refund is not given in case of damage/theft/lost. However it depends on the courier and insurance company. Check with them.

full insurance will never be given , for complete piece of mind , either pick it up yourself or get it through a friend

I have shipped a Macbook before with DTDC with insurance. You are right in thinking that if there is insurance, chances that someone steals it are less just because there is insurance and thus you could devalue it and take insurance just for 75k. I used to do that with my phones and take insurance for 10k while the phones were in 25-30k value. Never had a case of stolen items in nearly 50-60 phones I have shipped.

Any reports of anyone successfully claiming insurance for a high value item shipped via a premium courier? I'm assuming companies might even be able to do something (realistically they might just write off the loss) but an individual may have to jump through too many loops to get a settlement. Always remember, this is India, and most people just take calculated risks when doing anything. If and when the worst happens, usually, you're out of luck.

Additionally I would think the risk is pretty high for an employee to steal a complete package, when the cops are properly motivated, they can function better than the CIA/FBI/NSA. Plus the courier has it's reputation to maintain. I think there's more of a risk in losing small items packaged with the laptop than the whole shipment itself. So if I were you, i would ship only the laptop separately, not even the charger, and all the other items in another package.

Any reports of anyone successfully claiming insurance for a high value item shipped via a premium courier? I'm assuming companies might even be able to do something (realistically they might just write off the loss) but an individual may have to jump through too many loops to get a settlement. Always remember, this is India, and most people just take calculated risks when doing anything. If and when the worst happens, usually, you're out of luck.

Additionally I would think the risk is pretty high for an employee to steal a complete package, when the cops are properly motivated, they can function better than the CIA/FBI/NSA. Plus the courier has it's reputation to maintain. I think there's more of a risk in losing small items packaged with the laptop than the whole shipment itself. So if I were you, i would ship only the laptop separately, not even the charger, and all the other items in another package.
I have claimed full amount for a phone that I had bought via ICC World. However, like you said, after the initial complaint that I made to Bluedart (ICC World always used Bluedart to ship locally) in a conference call with ICC World, I did have to send them pics and make a few calls again. I would have been much happier if ICC World had handled the issue themselves but I did finally receive the full insured amount. I don't know whether Bluedart paid ICC World or not but I am assuming they did considering the business ICC World gives Bluedart on a regular basis.

Back