Advice request for 3D Printer - RAMPS 1.4

nimod

Adept
Friends, I want to own a 3D printer.
Have been googling for a few days and RepRap's RAMPS 1.4 open source project is my choice.
Here's the list of items I need to start with:
  • 1x Printer Controller RAMPS 1.4 BOARD
  • 1x Mega 2560 R3
  • 4x NEMA 17 Motor
  • 5x A4988/DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Module
  • 1x MK8 Extruder Hot-end & Cold-end
  • 6x Mechanical Endstop
  • 1x LCD Display/Controller
  • 1x MK3 Headbed + Thermister
These are available on amazon as kits.

I am not sure if any other important part is missing.
Please let me know.

The major question is about the 3D printer frame/skeleton. I could not found any convincing option.
It would be really great if any TE members here is having experience with a 3D printer assembly.
How to choose/build frame for a RAMPS 1.4 printer?

If you know about any shop / market selling frame and other components for 3D printers please let me know.

Any other information coming out of your experience / research will be great help.

I'm not familiar with building reraps from individually sourced parts but AliExpress is your friend.

If you're not insistent on building from scratch, you can just buy a kit from there too.

yes, going for creality ender 3.

That looks like a solid choice. Don't forget to tell the seller to mark the price lower so you won't have to deal with customs.

I'd appreciate if you'd update with your experience after receiving it. I've been researching printers forever and would love to know your experience.

That looks like a solid choice. Don't forget to tell the seller to mark the price lower so you won't have to deal with customs.

I'd appreciate if you'd update with your experience after receiving it. I've been researching printers forever and would love to know your experience.

sure..

After a long wait, I ordered Creality Ender 3 from banggood.com two days back.
Paid $180. Shipping was free through India Direct Mail (Gati).
Surprisingly the payment for banggood was collected by an Indian payment gateway, Razorpay.
That saved me about Rs.540 Forex+Taxes.

But..
My order is not yet shipped. Another item in same order was shipped the next day.
Moreover, status of Ender 3 has been updated to 'Back Order'.
I wrote to customer care and they told me the item is back in stock and has been transferred from warehouse to logistics company.
Customer care's reply says:
Expected delivery time: 8-16 business days
Tracking information update time: 10 days​

I have noted few changes on product page:
- The free India Direct Mail shipping method is no more available for this product.
- They are asking additional $26.80 to ship through Registered post.

I guess, they are facing troubles shipping this item through India Direct Mail.
Customer care's assurance came to me as a relief but I am still not sure if they will actually deliver my order.

Eagerly waiting.

Some time back somebody here from Singapore had posted about his experience with 3d printers. Can't remember who it was

After a long wait, I ordered Creality Ender 3 from banggood.com two days back.
Paid $180. Shipping was free through India Direct Mail (Gati).
Surprisingly the payment for banggood was collected by an Indian payment gateway, Razorpay.
That saved me about Rs.540 Forex+Taxes.

But..
My order is not yet shipped. Another item in same order was shipped the next day.
Moreover, status of Ender 3 has been updated to 'Back Order'.
I wrote to customer care and they told me the item is back in stock and has been transferred from warehouse to logistics company.
Customer care's reply says:
Expected delivery time: 8-16 business days
Tracking information update time: 10 days​

I have noted few changes on product page:
- The free India Direct Mail shipping method is no more available for this product.
- They are asking additional $26.80 to ship through Registered post.

I guess, they are facing troubles shipping this item through India Direct Mail.
Customer care's assurance came to me as a relief but I am still not sure if they will actually deliver my order.

Eagerly waiting.

Any idea what's the size and weight of the shipping package from Banggood? It's $230 on Amazon.

According to them:

Package Dimensions 19.9 x 15.8 x 7.1 inches
Item Weight 17.64 pounds

180 sounds like a damn good price. especially if you get free shipping. But i would say even ~Rs. 2k extra for shipping isn't bad considering the size and weight.[DOUBLEPOST=1530244575][/DOUBLEPOST]Watching this now:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross your fingers. If it looks like an innocuous box with random bunch of parts tossed inside they may not bother. but saying 3d printer sounds like some grand device so that might change their perspective.[DOUBLEPOST=1530249330][/DOUBLEPOST]As a noob, i found this really informative:

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have predicted, my order is lying with Gati for past 7 days.

Screenshot_2018-07-10_17-15-38.png

Its stuck at Gati's International Operations center.

I have written 4 mails to banggood customer service, but they are only giving assurances.
Tried to convince them through online chat that they should question the courier company about this stuck parcel but they always talked about ignorants.
I have even mailed Gati-China but they never reply.

Does anyone experienced similar situation?
How to deal with it?

(I am having strong feeling that this order will be cancelled in the end)

Yes, already seen this and made notes.
Now going to check the softwares for 3D designs..
You can use CURA initially & its good for beginning !!!

As I have predicted, my order is lying with Gati for past 7 days.

View attachment 75655

Its stuck at Gati's International Operations center.

I have written 4 mails to banggood customer service, but they are only giving assurances.
Tried to convince them through online chat that they should question the courier company about this stuck parcel but they always talked about ignorants.
I have even mailed Gati-China but they never reply.

Does anyone experienced similar situation?
How to deal with it?

(I am having strong feeling that this order will be cancelled in the end)

Have you tried the on-line chat option ? there will be a queue, but they will respond to it for sure!!

Have you tried the on-line chat option ? there will be a queue, but they will respond to it for sure!!

few times.
they are not taking this seriously and they always tell me that it will be delivered in 8-16 days excluding Sundays. parcel is still in shipping duration.

they are ignorant to fact that it's stuck at a location for an entire week.

few times.
they are not taking this seriously and they always tell me that it will be delivered in 8-16 days excluding Sundays. parcel is still in shipping duration.

they are ignorant to fact that it's stuck at a location for an entire week.
You have to wait for 16 days timeline, even in one of shipment, it was same like, there is no update till the first 8 days, but reached me on 15th day! Gati stick with timeline.

You have to wait for 16 days timeline, even in one of shipment, it was same like, there is no update till the first 8 days, but reached me on 15th day! Gati stick with timeline.

Lets hope they deliver in time.[DOUBLEPOST=1531288599][/DOUBLEPOST]Banggood customer service informed me my parcel has been returned.
I know, Gati refused to deliver this item.
They offered to ship it again with registered air mail. I requested reshipment.
Lets see what happens now.

Last edited:
Back