Advise needed - Setup with B&W 684 (Front/ Center/ Surround) + B&W ASW610 Sub + Pioneer VSX-LX53 + Additional Sub Klipsch SPL-100

vercetti

Skilled
Making a post in TE after 7 years probably....Feels good to login to TE after so many years :)

So below is the background:
  • I am a rookie Home theatre enthusiast. used to own entry level 5.1 setups 15 years ago but have been using sound bars ever since I moved to Hong Kong (tiny houses and living rooms)
  • Now moving to a bigger house so plan to get a 5.2 setup which I would expand later to a 7.2 setup.
  • I have a LG OLED55C6P since last 6 years and fon't plan to upgrade for next 12 months. Own all consoles (PS5, Series X, Switch which I play regularly) and regulary watch 4k HDR high bit rate movies.

I am getting a good deal on the below (11k HKD which is roughly 1400 USD on the below) && I had recently also bought a Klipsch SPL-100 sub for 150USD (1400 HKD).
  • Pioneer VSX-LX53 (its a old 5.1 AV receiver with HDMI 1.4 but I need to buy this as a set - I Plan to upgrade later)
  • B&W set of 5 speakers Front/ Center/ Surround (with stands for the surround speakers) - B&W 684 floor standing, center and smaller surround speakers. Owners say these are well maintained
  • B&W ASW610 Sub
  • The above comes with cables included

I wanted to know if this would be a GREAT setup for movie + Game + music. I was more apprehensive as the B&W 684's are almost 15 years old model so wasnt sure if it would be a good idea for me to get these.

Lastly, what kind of tests and inspection do I need to perform to verify there is no mid-range blowouts and other issues with the setup? the owner has the complete system hooked up at his place now so I can test it

Thanks in advance for your help and apologies if some of the questions are silly...as I am a complete noob - have been reading and researching since last 2 weeks but I still don't have a clarity on the basics. This pic gives size for the living/ dining area ( )

That AVR, albeit old, is a high-end one and is WhatHiFi 5star rated.

Speakers, as long as they are well maintained, and well built (Which B&W are) do not get outdated.

I suggest you take some DTS and Dolby channel test clips to ensure the DSPs are fine. This should also help you understand if any speakers (components) are not blown. Look at the drivers online and see if they look the same. Pull out the speaker grills and check to see if the driver screws show any signs of opening (scrapes from the screwdriver left after the unscrewing)

Take you favourite song and play it one speaker at a time (disconnecting the rest) to see if it sounds good and the same.

All the best!

Hi vercetti/others,

was searching for some answers for a buddy of mine and came across this thread so asking on behalf of a friend.

he has a vsx lx53.(this avr is ARC capable) he's planning to buy a new 4k smart tv. his doubt/query...

If he connects audio out from Smart 4k tv hdmi out to LX53 hdmi in :

1. If he plays a Prime/Netflix via the smart tv app will he be able to control the volume of the Lx53 via the remote of the 4k smart TV?

2. if he connects a Firestick 4k to hdmi in on Smart TV 4k and audio out from Smart TV 4k to hdmi in on LX53 will he be able to control the volume of the Lx53 via Firestick 4k remote?

Thanks.

Back