Airtel BB - Slow Download Speed when Uploading

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Hi....

I got an Airtel BroadBand connection, and am facing a weird issue.

I have the 4 mbps DL (80 GB FUP) with 512 kbps UL plan from Airtel. Today I fired up my torrent client. With only uploads happening the torrent is maxing out to the designated speeds, but at the same time my DL speed virtually drops to nothing (on a separate system). I am not even able to surf, even the speedtest result refuses to run. Is there some setting on the modem+router (DLINK DSL 2730U) which needs to be modified for a full - duplex functionality...? I can understand some of the 4 mbps dropping off when I am uploading, but it should not totally vanish. The torrent client is reporting all ports open in "green" icon status. Or is this standard practice with Airtel. I had to take Airtel cause the condo apartments I moved to, only have Airtel infrastructure..

There has to be some buffer bandwidth available just for even browsing. If you are maxing out on upload speed then other application can not send the data handshake to the server. Set 50KBps upload limit on torrent client. Remaining 10-12 KBps is more than enough for downloading and browsing.

If u using utorrent then use the utorrent inbuilt "speed setup" tool to configure ur upload speeds and no. of connections per torrent.

There has to be some buffer bandwidth available just for even browsing. If you are maxing out on upload speed then other application can not send the data handshake to the server. Set 50KBps upload limit on torrent client. Remaining 10-12 KBps is more than enough for downloading and browsing.

Thanks for the reply. Is this a line issue or a router issue. Any way to have full UL speed (which anyways is so low) and be able to browse with at least 1 mbps DL throughput. Or is it a CAP set by Airtel.

There is no CAP. Even with full upload speed , normal browsing or same or different system happens.
Mostly a router or some settings problem. Cant be a line problem if you have full download / upload speeds.

Can you check with another torrent client.

There is no CAP. Even with full upload speed , normal browsing or same or different system happens.
Mostly a router or some settings problem. Cant be a line problem if you have full download / upload speeds.

Can you check with another torrent client.

What @cisco_tech recommended is working. If I lower the UL speed 10-12 Kbps on the client then normal browsing is working at around 1.5 mbps. If the torrent client is not UL'ing then I get the full 4 mbps. If I keep heavy seed torrent files on DL, then I am hitting the designated 4 mbps too. Just when browsing there is a choke on normal browsing if the UL is kept full open...which is around 50 Kbps. Not sure which router settings to change, if it is a router issue..!

Downloading required certain amount of upload channel to be free to communicate and handshake with remote servers. so if you torrent client utilizing full 512 Kbps then it will hamper your download speed. what i have suggested in my lats post is manually set 50KBps upload speed on your torrent client and rest 12 KBps can be utilized for downloading and browsing.
see the attached screenshot. I am downloading a file around 280 KBps and upload is around 6 KBps still being utilized to the remote server. That is handshake and that is how TCP/IP protocol works.[DOUBLEPOST=1415773921][/DOUBLEPOST]Another option is to setup QOS on your router. You can give the higher preterites to WWW and other required services.

Attachments

• Speed.PNG
    Speed.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 156
Downloading required certain amount of upload channel to be free to communicate and handshake with remote servers. so if you torrent client utilizing full 512 Kbps then it will hamper your download speed. what i have suggested in my lats post is manually set 50KBps upload speed on your torrent client and rest 12 KBps can be utilized for downloading and browsing.
see the attached screenshot. I am downloading a file around 280 KBps and upload is around 6 KBps still being utilized to the remote server. That is handshake and that is how TCP/IP protocol works.[DOUBLEPOST=1415773921][/DOUBLEPOST]Another option is to setup QOS on your router. You can give the higher preterites to WWW and other required services.

Thanks...have done something like that. Capped the UL a bit.

Back