Airtel sending an agent home asking for ID Proof?

Sandy

Skilled
just got a call from home.. airtel has send some agent asking for ID proof and a photograph :huh:
called up customer support and as usual they seem to know nothing.
strictly told mom not to hand over any documents to this lamer until I can verify who the fckk he is.

coming home like this without informing me and then asking for ID proof and photograph :mad:
has this happened to any other Airtel subscriber? :mad:

Not never happened like this out of sudden and dont give anything till you verify or else tell him if any doc need to be given u will do it ur self by visiting airtel outlet

As per the Govt. rule, all the service providers are supposed to recollect proof of identity and proof of add. from the customers. If you are so reluctant to hand over to the agent then you can go to the concerned (if it is Airtel, then Airtel distributor or retailer) office and submit those.

lol guys terrorist ? And that too for poor me? :p haha!
Anyways for now he has been shooed away! Told him to come on Saturday. :mad:

I remember a Vodafone person coming over to my place in mumbai a few years back for verification when I converted my prepaid connection to a post paid connection. Maybe they do send representatives over for address verification.

Personally I would be paranoid and avoid anyone who approaches you - same for any "in-coming" phone calls claiming to be from your bank, credit card, whatever and asking for any "verification"... better YOU initiate the phone call, or visit the office just to reduce the chance of any scams.

My guess is airtel informed you or may be tried calling you to submit the documents, but when no luck they sent the agent to your place. For my vodafone connection a guy called me as well, but I had to cacel it anyway so refused him.

I remember for a friend, cause the documents were not submitted [2nd time round drive] without informing they cut the caller ID facility. After calling CC and activating the caller ID, they cut out going with out telling. 4-5 times they promised to send a representative to pick up the ID / address proof papers but never did.

Vodaphone.

^^^ afaik wired broadband is post paid. And for postpaid connections, be it mobile or landline/bb, they do tend to send their agents to your address as this serves 2 purpose,
1> Collection of the required docs.
2> Verification of the address at which you claim to put up.

This however does not happen if you apply for a Corporate mobile connection and give the company's address as your billing address.

Didn't get a call, only a message saying some bugger will turn up! I won't give him squat. Will go submit it in person at an office if I have to.

Back