All in one pc for home (parents)

pmthokku

Recruit
I am looking for a wall mountable all in one pc for my elderly parents. The use is likely to be pretty light (browsing, watching some youtube videos, light document making work). Would like warranty period of 3 years since I am looking for this one to last a while.

Q: What is your budget?
35K, may consider spending upto 40k is the value is good.

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Currently using my old Dell Inspiron 6400 15.4" C2D T5600/2GB ram/80GB HDD (5 years old!) as a makeshift desktop

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
none

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Processor - want a laptop(mobile) processor like in
Dell Inspiron One 2310 / Pentium P6200 / 2 GB / 320 GB / Non-touch: All In One Desktop: Flipkart.com
Would be good, but is not wall mountable :(. Dell inspiron one 2320 is, but doesnt seem to have cheaper versions with laptop processors.

or a lower power desktop processor like the amd 250u (25W). Dont want atom or very low power since the user experience on these things is bad. Any thing around the performance of a C2D T5600 should be ok. May consider AMD e350 brazos if nothing is available.

Ram-4gb, or ability to upgrade it by myself.
Discrete graphics- not required
HDD- 320 or above is ok, again, if i can upgrade it later, might not matter too much
OS-will put ubuntu linux on it myself(will throw windows out the window if already present)
wireless card-better if present
Monitor- bigger the better, looking for >20 inches
TV tuner- not looking for one
Touchscreen-not required

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai, may consider online - please recommend, know only about flipkart.
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Browsing
Watching videos
Light document processing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
none

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
no gaming

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Elderly parents like big icons and text on screen. So very high resolution not required.
Average for all in one pc should be ok i think.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Ubuntu

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the VU series. Though cannot vouch on the ASS/Quality.

If you dont mind doing some R&D, go with a AMD Llano mini ITX rig with a monitor of your choice + wireless k/b & mouse. That would pack quite some power.

vivek.krishnan said:
Have a look at the VU series. Though cannot vouch on the ASS/Quality.

If you dont mind doing some R&D, go with a AMD Llano mini ITX rig with a monitor of your choice + wireless k/b & mouse. That would pack quite some power.
What is the VU series?

Want an AIO pc to reduce the space and get rid of the mess of wires. Getting a mini ATX system with separate monitor will save space but there will still be too many wires - monitor, monitor power, system power, speakers, modem. If there are no AIOs available within reasonable levels of compromise, I will look into this. Thanks

ask yr local dealers also. i got the dell 2320 for 39k in mumbai (it was listed for 43 on flipkart). am not sure about it being wall mountable but its a 23"/i3 2100

pmthokku said:
What is the VU series?

Want an AIO pc to reduce the space and get rid of the mess of wires. Getting a mini ATX system with separate monitor will save space but there will still be too many wires - monitor, monitor power, system power, speakers, modem. If there are no AIOs available within reasonable levels of compromise, I will look into this. Thanks

Get a LCD TV ~ 22 incher @ ~11k. There will be a HDMI cable going directly from the machine to the TV. This will hold AV data. One power cable for each, TV and CPU. Since you will get a wireless K/B and mouse, no other wires, except maybe for the webcam. Finally wifi dongle in USB slot.

How hard can it get, man? ;)

Back