Alternative to Truecaller ?

blr_p

Skilled
Was finding the phone a bit laggy yesterday and decided to go clean up the message that had accumulated. Watched a few videos and then found one saying to clear the data from the Truecaller app. Did that and things did improve a little.

A day later i realised i had not recived any calls at all and only discovered when a delivery guy was banging the door and asked me why i was not answering the phone.

Odd ? made him call me up and sure enough my mobile did not riing. Then i tested it from another number and again my phone was not receiving any calls. Why ?

I could make calls just fine but it would not receive any. Was not in airplane mode and DND was not enabled.

When this wierdness happens the usual reason is the phone has not been restarted in a long time. You can go weeks without doing so if things work ok. Did that. No joy.

After digging around i discovered that Turecaller got set as the default calling app instead of the stock dialer.

Result was i could make calls with the stock dialer but not receive any. Who knew(!)

When i reset the stock dialer as the default calling app my phone received calls just fine. Fixed :woot:

It made me question why i even use Truecaller in the first place ? Caller ID !

Are there any alternatives to turecaller as this app gets regularly labeled as a privacy violator. But in doing so it can tell me who is calling that i may or may not want to respond to.

Turns out there is another alternative, a local one called Bharat caller. But if you check it's reviews in the playstore you realise it fails at the primary purpose of caller ID of people that do not exist in your phonebook (!)

People on google's phones get the benefit of google's dialer app which cannot be used on non google phones and people on pixels have told me they had no need for truecaller as google's dialer app did that already.

Well, i'm not on a pixel and looks like i'm stuck with Truecaller for now and wondering whether to go in for a yearly subscription as the ads are getting to be annoying.

Right now I'm just glad i figured out why the phone was not receving incoming calls. It's fine. It's not dead yet. Coming on nearly five years old now :)

Last edited:
Why did you even set Truecaller as the default dialer or SMS app? I use truecaller on my device but only as caller ID and not as dialer or SMS app replacement. No slow downs.
My phone is on its 4th year and is an old Snapdragon 636 based device with 4GB RAM.

To fix your issue you could uninstall the truecaller app and reinstall it again and no matter how many times during the app setup it asks you to make it default app just don't and you'll be fine.

Why did you even set Truecaller as the default dialer or SMS app?
I didn't. When i cleared the data from the truecaller app it did it on its own.
I use truecaller on my device but only as caller ID and not as dialer or SMS app replacement. No slow downs.
What do you use for messaging which has a SMS blocking feature ?

Stock LG's messaging app does not do blocking.
My phone is on its 4th year and is an old Snapdragon 636 based device with 4GB RAM.
Same RAM but with an 820 on the V20. The phone works fine its just when i'm in that app things slow down. I found setting messages to read speeds things up.

The other app that tends to hog memory a lot is Vanced. Half a gig of RAM it takes.

I don't install its app, instead I just use the browser to search on truecaller website when I need to know about any number.

I don't trust truecaller, I think its a spyware app and is probably mining contacts and other personal data from your phone.

What do you use for messaging which has a SMS blocking feature ?
I actually don't use anything instead I put my number on DND so I don't get much spam at all except for calls from banks. I get those a lot for credit card offers/loans etc despite being on DND.

I don't install its app, instead I just use the browser to search on truecaller website when I need to know about any number.

I don't trust truecaller, I think its a spyware app and is probably mining contacts and other personal data from your phone.
There are modded versions out there you could find with free premium features and no ads and analytics stripped. Besides you're using google, whatsapp, facebook and what not, online privacy is long gone.

I actually don't use anything instead I put my number on DND so I don't get much spam at all except for calls from banks. I get those a lot for credit card offers/loans etc despite being on DND.
Not following. How does DND block SMS spam ? On truecaller it gets put in a separate folder after i;ve blocked it and other users doing the same also results in spam being put in that folder.

DND means i will not receive any phone calls either. Couriers or delivery personnel won't be able to conect. People not in my phonebook either. So whitelisting isn't a workable option either.

So i use DND only when I don't want to be disurbed.
There are modded versions out there you could find with free premium features and no ads and analytics stripped.
Unless the source is vetted this can be a security risk. If it allows the app to auto update itself.

DND means i will not receive any phone calls either. Couriers or delivery personnel won't be able to conect. People not in my phonebook either. So whitelisting isn't a workable option either.

So i use DND only when I don't want to be disurbed.
You're thinking about the device's DND mode, that's not the DND I'm referring to. It's the operator's, this for Jio.

Same can be done on other operators by sending SMS to 1909 with text "START 0".

Unless the source is vetted this can be a security risk. If it allows the app to auto update itself.
I trust my source and no it doesn't auto update.

There are modded versions out there you could find with free premium features and no ads and analytics stripped.
that sounds even more shady.
Besides you're using google, whatsapp, facebook and what not, online privacy is long gone.
Well unfortunately I don't use whatsapp or facebook, and google is also pretty much off my phone since I use microg and even that will be removed once the time is right.

You're thinking about the device's DND mode, that's not the DND I'm referring to. It's the operator's, this for Jio.

Same can be done on other operators by sending SMS to 1909 with text "START 0".
Ah, i think i did that years ago with the landline and have not recd any of these calls but did not with my mobile. I was nervous it could block calls i wanted and did not recommend it to a relative for the same reason. The guy used to get so many damn calls & SMS, he put the phone in a drawer and checks only later if anyone called him.

Followed this helpful vid and then on to airtel's DND but it seems there is presently an issue.

Then i looked in the airtel thanks app, searched for DND and got the page. This is what it loks like currently. I did not enable much except for day time calls. I wil add SMS to the list and see how it goes.
Try this - Phone app by Google
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

Its descripton says available to all above android9
When i search for it in the playstore app on the phone running Nougat nothing shows up. But i can see it on the S20FE running 12. So I expect android 9 and up will find it in the playstore.

So i hit apk mirror and afte some trial and error with various versions got this recent version to work.

Version 78 working but oddly the patched XDA version 53 force closed. n/m...

It installed on the nougat phone but i got the message saying it might not work correctly as the device was not supported. Then hit the playstore to see if Google offered to upgrade the version. Nope.

Made it the default calling app. Called a number. Worked. Called the mobile it worked too.

Let's see how this works for a week with numbers that arent in my phone book :)

Attachments

• sorry airtel.jpg
    sorry airtel.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2022-4-21_Airtel DND settings before change.jpg
    2022-4-21_Airtel DND settings before change.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
For blocking spam sms, I use Sms organiser from Microsoft. All those unwanted sms are put in a separate promotion folder without disturbing you of it's arrival. You get a notification only for an OTP or a personal msg. Pretty handy app, I would say.
Regarding TC, it's best to keep it as a caller id than as default dailer.
I don't know if this applies in your case but some manufacturers are notorious for not allowing apps to function properly, famous among them are the Chinese brands. I had a Poco X3 prior to my existing device and SMS organiser won't run or it won't allow me to receive OTP. Had to forcibly use Google messages. Another issue was call recording feature not enabled on TC for my device when every other device was having it.

In your case, it might be due to older API variant (not software version) causing some issue give it's a 5 yo phone. Again, my assumptions. Shouldn't be an issue if you are going for a new Samsung phone :)

Try this - Phone app by Google
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

Its descripton says available to all above android9
It is not particularly helpful though due to how it is implemented.
Caller ID by Google shows the names of companies and services with a Google My Business listing.
I have put my number in Trai DND. Calls have reduced and I report marketing/spam calls still coming. I have got many of these marketers number disconnected. You can check the status in TRAI's DND app.
I have been on the TRAI DND for a decade. The problem is that it does not handle automated callers which are a huge headache nowadays. TRAI needs to step up.

Also, a lot of the reported SMS messages are closed by the other operator without proper action, which in most cases happens to be Jio. Airtel, Vodafone are at least much more responsive.

It is not particularly helpful though due to how it is implemented.

I have been on the TRAI DND for a decade. The problem is that it does not handle automated callers which are a huge headache nowadays. TRAI needs to step up.

Also, a lot of the reported SMS messages are closed by the other operator without proper action, which in most cases happens to be Jio. Airtel, Vodafone are at least much more responsive.
I know the implementation is poor. We do not have any option other than complaining at the moment. Some times action is taken and some times ignored. I do my best by complaining every single spam number. I have made a tasker task which triggers after an unknown incoming call is ended asking me if I want to complaint the number to TRAI. If I click on it then it sends an sms with the complaint.

I know the implementation is poor. We do not have any option other than complaining at the moment. Some times action is taken and some times ignored. I do my best by complaining every single spam number. I have made a tasker task which triggers after an unknown incoming call is ended asking me if I want to complaint the number to TRAI. If I click on it then it sends an sms with the complaint.
On iOS, at least Truecaller cannot be remotely invasive and is not much of a problem. However, reporting also has to be done manually. It is amusing because TRAI fought with Apple to get their DND app on the store which allowed numbers to be read locally by the app and reported to TRAI, only for the app to be pulled off from the store, probably due to lack of maintenance and really poor rating (which was below 2 AFAIR).

For blocking spam sms, I use Sms organiser from Microsoft. All those unwanted sms are put in a separate promotion folder without disturbing you of it's arrival. You get a notification only for an OTP or a personal msg. Pretty handy app, I would say.
I will give it a try. I like how TC shows the SMS for deposits and debits in either green or red colours whenever the bank sends it.
Regarding TC, it's best to keep it as a caller id than as default dailer.
If google's phone app does the caller ID thing well then i won't need TC

Somebody told me about this years ago but it only worked for pixels. Never knew Google released it eventually for all phones.
I don't know if this applies in your case but some manufacturers are notorious for not allowing apps to function properly, famous among them are the Chinese brands. I had a Poco X3 prior to my existing device and SMS organiser won't run or it won't allow me to receive OTP. Had to forcibly use Google messages. Another issue was call recording feature not enabled on TC for my device when every other device was having it.
Call recording was one thing that put me off getting a new phone as google took that feature away. Well, it seems that applies only to certain markets.

I've seen people on XDA gets CSC files for either India, Thailand or Indonesia and flashing them and enabling call recording when it was default disabled for their markets.
In your case, it might be due to older API variant (not software version) causing some issue give it's a 5 yo phone. Again, my assumptions. Shouldn't be an issue if you are going for a new Samsung phone :)
Yeah, TC is updated so this bug might have crept in. Was difficult to figure out the problem at the time but its done now.

Was watching this video where this guy went over like 14 things to check and something just clicked for me. Turns out he forgot to mention this default calling app thing from his video.

I like how TC shows the SMS for deposits and debits in either green or red colours whenever the bank sends it.
SMS Organiser(SO) also has that feature. Wasn't sure, but checked it now.
If google's phone app does the caller ID thing well then i won't need TC
I too was reluctant to have another app when one from Google does all your work. Eventually, I realised that the database of TC is very large than what Google had when it came out with this feature of call-id. So it would still take some time for google to be at par(hence one of the reasons to start pushing Google dialer on almost every phone sans Samsung)with TC's caller data set. Given how Indian's have embraced TC whole-heartedly, I don't see its popularity waning down soon, unless Google decides to act up.
Call recording was one thing that put me off getting a new phone as google took that feature away. Well, it seems that applies only to certain markets.
I tried to compare the call recording from both TC and google dialer. While Google can record from both the microphone and earpiece, for TC, it can explicitly record from microphone only. That was a real bummer. I might be wrong, somebody can correct me. For now, have to listen to that nasty msg from Google.. "Your call is now being recorded." :triumph:

Back