PC Peripherals AM3 mounting kit for Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Hi,
I have a TRU120 Extreme which is currently cooling my C2D E6300. As it happens, the replacement to the C2D E6300 system has arrived in the form of Phenom II X4 955BE. :p I'm most probably going to retain my TRUE 120 for cooling my new Phenom. Problem is, when I had bought this HSF, it came with an LGA775 and AM2 mounting bracket. The LGA775 bracket is holding the TRUE in my current system and here are the pics of the spare AM2 clip.

My questions is, will this bracket work with the AM3 motherboard? I have bought the Gigabyte 785GMT USB 3.0. I kept the AM2 bracket over the mobo, just to find out if the AM2 bracket screw slots match with that of the motherboard. It seems like it does. Please check these pics :

The board comes with a backplate (last pic). After removing the blue plastic stock HSF holder on the motherboard, will I be able to use this AM2 bracket on this AM3 mobo?

If not, can I get a spare AM3 mounting kit for the TRUE ? (Prime or anywhere else in Lammy?) IT would really be a pity if I'm not able to use it just because of the incompatible(?) mounting brackets. :(

Considering the TRUE seems to be such a favorite with everyone here, anyone has come across this issue? And any workarounds?

TIA,
Ryan :)

@Faheem : Err yes, I had checked it. Its also there on the Thermalright website. But is this available locally? :(

Also, the bracket I got will work, I think. Its also there on the Thermalright website. http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p...ge/product_accessories_btk.html#lga775boltnew But the problem is that using this bracket, the HSF can only be fixed in horizontal position. Given the size of the HSF, it will be hard to remove RAM from the first slot then. :-(

^ Yeah ,noticed a few people complaining about the orientation on overclock.net and some one recommended another similar cross mounting kit . See if you can get one of them locally from Prime maybe.

Yeah, will have to check at Prime today. Cannot assemble until I have all the stuff in place. Too lazy to fit the stock HSF now, only to remove it and refit the TRUE again after a few days. :p

OT: Btw, lol..when do you sleep? :p

^ Yep, it can be used,but only in horizontal orientation with the AM2 bracket that came with the TRUE. (the bracket in the 1st post) :( It is not a very nice way to fit it, cos it'll be a pain to remove/refit the RAM sticks. :no:

Anyways, I think, I have found the solution. Prime abgb does have the AM2+/AM3 bolt thru kit. :-D Thermalright AMD Socket AM2/AM2+ Bolt-Thru-Kit

But i think, its a tad expensive for just a lame bracket and a few spring loaded screws @ Rs. 550 :| Anyways, I have no other alternative. So have to buy it. :(

Thanks everyone. :)

Back