Audio Bose QuietComfort vs Sony WH1000XM4

godspeed4476

Recruit
May 28, 2011
Has anyone used this? How does it compare to Sony's WH1000XM4?
I have been using Bose QC SE since Dec 2023, one of the best over the ear headsets i ever used. Its ANC and clarity is simply amazing. Another good thing is that its ear cups are fairly large, so your ear gets covered comfortably, rather than the cushion sitting on your ears. Also, the big L and R sign inside the ear cups are so much convenient as compared to small ones on side of headset. However, on audio front it does lack a bit of bass/thump, even after tweaking the EQ its still slightly lacking. Sony XM4 does better in that aspect AFAIK. I do not know which case does indian version comes with, but I received it with a soft case and wish it was a proper hardcase instead.
I used it primaily in my travels in flights, but am gonna sell it off coz just realised that overear headphones are a bit inconvenient for me bulk wise.

Reactions: sabino and Stronk

t3chg33k

Skilled
Jun 3, 2008
Has anyone used this? How does it compare to Sony's WH1000XM4?
Short version, it is better than XM4 but behind XM5.

If you ever need headphones for travel or commute, then nothing beats the QC series. As the name says, the primary focus is comfort. It weighs less, has big ear cups that cover the ear so that you sweat less, folds compactly inside a nice case, and is thus better than the XM4 in terms of ergonomics by miles.

Audio wise, Bose did go for a bit more peaky bass and treble with the 2023 series, so some might not like it because it sounds a bit harsh. But then it is milder compared to the bass in XM4 and good for those for whom it is not all about the bass. Also, just a 3-band equaliser in the app is disappointing.

The microphone is better than older versions and the XM4, but no where close to what XM5 or Momentum 4 or NC700 offer. The in-line cable thoughtfully has a mic though, so using wired covers professional use cases.

I don't suppose anyone would have much complaint about the ANC performance, which is again between the XM4 and XM5 but quite a lot better than more expensive earbuds and thus a boon for flights and noisy commutes.

Battery life has fallen behind competitors but 20+ hours covers almost all "away from charger" use cases. I suppose the only unknown is build quality since it seems Bose started to skimp on that in recent years to undercut the competition. It doesn't beat the competitors at 20+ k but is definitely a steal at 16.5k.
I have been using Bose QC SE since Dec 2023, one of the best over the ear headsets i ever used. Its ANC and clarity is simply amazing. Another good thing is that its ear cups are fairly large, so your ear gets covered comfortably, rather than the cushion sitting on your ears. Also, the big L and R sign inside the ear cups are so much convenient as compared to small ones on side of headset. However, on audio front it does lack a bit of bass/thump, even after tweaking the EQ its still slightly lacking. Sony XM4 does better in that aspect AFAIK. I do not know which case does indian version comes with, but I received it with a soft case and wish it was a proper hardcase instead.
I used it primaily in my travels in flights, but am gonna sell it off coz just realised that overear headphones are a bit inconvenient for me bulk wise.
SE stands for soft envelope and it is the QC45 with the soft case, sold at a cheaper cost by retailers like Costco. The normal variants come with a hard case. The 2023 version has Bose written in white/silver compared to black in QC45.

Footnote: Personal preference, but I like the physical controls much more than the capacitive ones. It is irritating having others inadvertently activate the headphone controls in a crowded space and conversely to not have swipes registered correctly, for example, with wet or sweaty fingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: godspeed4476

godspeed4476

Recruit
May 28, 2011
Agree with the post above if you are able to get it for INR 16K , absolutely go for it. I do not think for that price any other headset would beat it.

t3chg33k

Skilled
Jun 3, 2008
That is the 2021 model. Feature-wise, it is on par with the 2023 one with a firmware update earlier this year.

The difference is that the 2023 one has a new DSP, a different (more mainstream, less neutral) sound signature, better microphone, 2-4 hours longer battery life and the 3.5mm cable has an in-line microphone.

Also, with the 2021 model, you are likely to receive a unit with an older battery. During the sale, the price difference was 1k, so it is worth it for that but not if the price difference is more than 3k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Afxal