CPU/Mobo Amd 2800/3000 and Asus K8S/K8N: Choices?

superczar

Skilled
A friend is asking for advice...he recently got a AGP 6600GT as a present (lucky bugger :eek:h yeah: ...)

his existing rig is a PIII 550 slot I so he is obviously planning to upgrade....

Quick check at Ritchie street revelaed

CPU:
1) 5K for socket 754 AMD 64 2800
OR
2) 7.2K for a socked 754 AMD 3000

Qstn 1) He is willing to spend the 7.2k on the AMD 3000 but is wondering if the addl 2K is worth it?

Mobo:

Asus K8S: Sis Chipset: 2.9K
Asu K8N: nforce 3 chipset: 4.6K

Qstn 2) If he will be anyway using the 6600 for the graphics, does it really matter if he buys the K8N over the K8S...
Reviews on the K8S are not available on the net, forget about a comparo between the two....

Could you please help him out there?

Get 2800+ and K8N. Then overclock the $hit out of that CPU. K8N doesnt have onboard graphics. K8S is SiS and hence will have pathetic driver support!

Edit: fgt to add.... K8S doesnt overclock.

he is not really an over clocker :)
he will be more than happy to see the PC giving him a decent 50+fps on Far cry/Doom3
Other than overclockability, any other differences between the two mobos/chipsets....
Frankly,I'd chose the nforce mobo just coz of the nvidia name, but thenis the brand all there is to the 60% price difference?

No way, what are you saying Chaos ? Go for S939 anyday ! It has dual-channel RAM support and wil, OC much better if you get a Venice 3000+.

Along with that get a Neo 2 or A8V Deluxe. Not sure about Neo 2 (I think nForce 3), but A8V has Via KT800Pro chipset.

anishcool said:
No way, what are you saying Chaos ? Go for S939 anyday ! It has dual-channel RAM support and wil, OC much better if you get a Venice 3000+.

Along with that get a Neo 2 or A8V Deluxe. Not sure about Neo 2 (I think nForce 3), but A8V has Via KT800Pro chipset.
Dude... price is the question. What you've mentioned costs 7K for proccy and another 8-8.5K for mobo. This fellows budget is a lot lower. Skt 754 is okay for someone who's budget constrained.

Yeah socket 754 should suit him well if he low on budget. Get the 2800+ and the Asus K8N. Even if your friend isnt into ocing and all then too i'd suggest the k8n over the k8s since the approx price diff is like 1k or sumthng. However if he is planning to get the s754 3000+ then i'd suggest that he better go for s939 3000+ and asus a8v. Since the s939 and s754 are within 300-400 bucks of each other and the a8v dlx is now arnd 5.9k ! Additionally there is a Asrock s939 mobo which supports agp8x and can be had for 3.9k

not really related but the a8v deluxe has dropped in price to slightly less then 6k now and a8v e deluxe for about 7k with pci-e

wanted to know if the k8s board is stable on stock speed.

i am planning on buying it cause 2.9k is a good deal.

just wanted to know how is the performance on stock if i use a 2800 s754 on a k8s & on a k8n or k8vx.

going to be using with big6600 & 512 ram.

& is the k8s pcie or agp super.

stormblast said:
wanted to know if the k8s board is stable on stock speed.

i am planning on buying it cause 2.9k is a good deal.

just wanted to know how is the performance on stock if i use a 2800 s754 on a k8s & on a k8n or k8vx.

going to be using with big6600 & 512 ram.

& is the k8s pcie or agp super.
Performance would be good... in fact nearly same as k8v or k8n since the mem controller is on the cpu. However I dont trust SIS drivers! better get an msi via k8t800 board instead that costs the same. U upgrading all comps in ur cafe?

Edit: K8s is plain AGP however it has a single PCI-E x1 slot from the SiS 965-L southbridge.

I would suggest going for Asus K8N + AMD Sempron 2500+ [64Bit,E6 Core] A64 2800+ available currently are Clawhammers and seem to be horrible overclockers.3000+ would be newcastle and shud be descent overclockers.

ya chaos need it for the cafe. thats y the budget.
dont need it for overclocking dark. not going to oc at the cafe.

are u sure the msi k8t800 is for 3k?
& hows the msi k8m

stormblast said:
ya chaos need it for the cafe. thats y the budget.
dont need it for overclocking dark. not going to oc at the cafe.

are u sure the msi k8t800 is for 3k?
& hows the msi k8m
Yeah i meant the k8m800. Its definitely a better chipset than the sis for sure unless u have real use for the stupid PCI-E x1 slot on the asus board.

The SiS 760GX chipset (the one used on the Asus K8S) has PCI/AGP locks.
AFAIK, the onboard Mirage2 is a tad better than the K8M800's Unichrome graphics.

Was contemplating trying out this board + overclocking a bit for a friend who was in need of an extremely budget conscious system, and perhaps get an honest assessment of SiS chipsets as well. You think its a wise idea? :p

Crazy_Eddy said:
The SiS 760GX chipset (the one used on the Asus K8S) has PCI/AGP locks.
AFAIK, the onboard Mirage2 is a tad better than the K8M800's Unichrome graphics.

Was contemplating trying out this board + overclocking a bit for a friend who was in need of an extremely budget conscious system, and perhaps get an honest assessment of SiS chipsets as well. You think its a wise idea? :p
I have a gigabyte SiS 760board( K8S760M)around somewhere in my room. Has 64megs(4ns) of onboard video cache so it doesnt share the main memory. Scores around 5K in 3dmark 2k1 and supports PS1.3 so its definitely better than via unichrome video. The asus on the other hand shares main memory. Its okay but drivers are a bit finicky... it doesnt like my 9800 pro. Never tried overclocking it.... was meant to be a temp board anyway.

Edit: both boards lack CPU multiplier control. However the gigabyte has settings for vcore, vdimm and vagp and tonnes of memory options.

^^ Thanks for the inputs :) . Aware of the Gigabyte with its own dedicated LFB memory. From my reading around, I think 3dmark 2k1 scores are roughly around half without any dedicated mem.

CPU Multipliers wont matter much for mild OC'ing - procs like the Sempron64 are locked up and down as well.

wudnt intel foot the bill for a low budget comp based on via chipset and celeron proc
guys dont lynch me for this i know amd rocks but guess even intels good enough if 32 bit system

wudnt intel foot the bill for a low budget comp based on via chipset and celeron proc
guys dont lynch me for this i know amd rocks but guess even intels good enough if 32 bit system
Why go for 32 bit he has a budget for 40k good enough for a decent gaming rig. Intel is hopeless now even for budget systems

Back