CPU/Mobo AMD Dragon Tech: AMD Phenom II X4 processors @ 6 Ghz+

techPowerUp! News :: Phenom II X4 at 6.30 GHz, Runs 3DMark-Stable
AMD finally seems to have put a realistic assessment of its processors, with its claims of the Phenom II X4 having "massive headroom" with its overclocking potential being validated once again, this time by Team Finland, at the a CES overclocking event. Team Finland was able to overclock a Phenom II X4 940 processor at its highest stable clock speed of 6.30 GHz using extreme cooling. Earlier attempts to overclock the chip beyond the 6 GHz mark only yielded in test-beds that were able to POST, boot and display the clock speed using CPU-Z. This attempt however, was a benchmark-stable overclocking feat.

The bench consisted of a Phenom II X4 engineering sample, DFI LANParty Dark 790FXB-M2RS, OCZ DDR2-1066 memory, two Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics cards in CrossfireX and Windows XP. The CPU cooling employed was liquid helium, which dropped the temperature to -242 degrees Celsius. To achieve a clock speed of 6.30 GHz, the processor's vCore was set at 1.84V, its bus speed at 280 MHz and a multiplier of 22.5 was set. The HyperTransport frequency multiplier was set at 8. The Radeon HD 4870 X2 accelerators were set at 800 MHz (core) and 950 MHz (memory). The machine was put through 3DMark05, where it ended with a world-record score of 45,474.

so? whats the big deal? it can run at 60ghz for all i care, its still getting beat by a core i7 running at a whole 1.1ghz less. and a core 2 duo e8600 running at 6.4ghz is just 400 points behind. after all wasnt it amd itself who used to harp on performance per clock?:)
and why didnt they put up some 3dm06/vantage numbers? afaik those tests really show how much the cpu matters :p

apollyon said:
so? whats the big deal? it can run at 60ghz for all i care, its still getting beat by a core i7 running at a whole 1.1ghz less. and a core 2 duo e8600 running at 6.4ghz is just 400 points behind. after all wasnt it amd itself who used to harp on performance per clock?:)
and why didnt they put up some 3dm06/vantage numbers? afaik those tests really show how much the cpu matters :p
Why you getting so hyper intel fanboi- forgot presscHOTT days. :bleh:
Poor guy just posted some info and no one has said it's an intel killer or anything. :S
And point to be noted was that PhenomII scaled with extreme cooling- unlike previous gen Phenoms that just ended with all feet and hands up in air when OCed. :rofl:
Just take note of, forget. :lol:
p.s. And while the 5-10% on forums rave about performance, just coz they know OCing- the field is not so uneven for stock users whch is still the major market.
Though consuming higher power and not as fast for sure, when it comes to some real world real crunching like 3dsmax, even Phenom wasn't very very behind iirc.
Not the best, still a lot more miles to go to even catch up with Intel again but very usable- especially if AMD can manage some nicely low pricing for it's chips. :)

So PhenomII seems a bit more promising if priced nicely-
along with the already available nice and stable and not very expensive AM2+ mobos with decent onboard gfx and cheap DDR2 RAM-
for the aam janata who don't/can't/won't OC. :)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Why you getting so hyper intel fanboi- forgot presscHOTT days. :bleh:
i was a amd fanboi in the prescott days :bleh:
BIKeINSTEIN said:
So PhenomII seems a bit more promising if priced nicely
thats the key point, 14k for a p2 920? :no: thats too steep, it should be 10k imho

The price will be the deciding factor IMHO. As of now, i am afraid, its not in AMD's favour. As Apollyon has mentioned, Prices should be much lower compared to Intel if Phenom II wishes to be a fairly succesful product. It showcases decent enough performance and doesn't lag behind Intel too much and can clock fairly well too. All these things need to be complemented by low price or else it will be another failure.
As of now AMD doesn't have the performance crown so it needs to play the price card just as they did during the Athlon XP days until they come up with something as revolutionary as the K8.
Anyways, coming back to the topic, one thing that AMD has truly achieved to pull off this time is finding a fix for the Cold Bug. Just the fact that Phenom II loves cold is sufficient enough to excite any hardcore overclocker to try it out. Good job AMD !

Ya re- I am sure even Apo sir had the same thing in mind- after all i look up to him for so many issues when my @$$ is on the line here. :lol:.
I am sure Apo sir was pissed off on somebody/something when he posted here and maybe the mood got carried here.

Points to be taken note of, by AMD people-
*keep trying for an Intel killer
*Price your products really nice so that atleast a part of the market thinks of buying your stuff
*Please keep a check on your distros/delaers- Intel chips retail for almost the same price here and everywhere and you guys have a huge margin in India when the odds are already against you- feeling suicidal again?? :no:

^ till just sometime back, Phenom 9950 BE was 7.8K odd on newegg and 11,500-11,800/- here, iirc. :no:
And till the time before $ shot up to 50/- INR, Intel chips sold in Mumbai at Newegg prices (without shipping charges included too at times), iirc. :)

One more thing that gives the i7 the advantage is the fast DDR3 memory.

Lets wait for AM3 to find out which is better.

A 6.5Ghz System! world recodr breaking 3DMark Result @ 45,475 Points :O :O :O

AMD "Dragon Technology" ..really Screaming computing power!!!

Ingrediants:
  • 500L of Liquid Nitrogen
  • 500L of Liquid Helium
  • Insane amout of Mobos, etc provided by Brands like DFI, etc.
Description:
On January 10, 2009 in Las Vegas AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 processors:

- broke the FutureMark 3DMark® 05 World Record
- became the first quad core x86 processors in History to break the 6.5GHz barrier in a public demonstration
- became the first to operate at temperatures approaching absolute zero

AMD platform technology codenamed "Dragon" is a synthesis of screaming computing power and The Ultimate Visual Experience™ — the fusion of the new AMD Phenom™ II processor, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 graphics, the AMD 790GX chipset, and AMD software.
HD Video:
The Experiment in High Definition 720P By Popular Demand: Overclockers Macci, Hardman, Sampsa and SF3D were given 500 liters of liquid helium and an arsenal of motherboards from DFI and Gigabyte. The results were stunning. A world record score of 45,474 on 3D Mark 05 capped off the evening with all four processor cores at 6301MHz, the memory controller running at 3843MHz, and memory at DDR2-1100MHz. A pair of ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics cards using ATI CrossFireX™ technology were air-cooled at 800/950MHz. The team was able to sustain operation at frequencies approach absolute zero with benchmarks generally running at between -215 and -230 degrees centigrade, demonstrating that Phenom II has exhibited no “cold bug†allowing the use of extreme cooling and a World Record performance. H.264

Source / Stream Online Video

Official Torrent to Watch its 720p video

Back