AMD Might Be Considering Ryzen ‘Zen 4’ Desktop CPUs With DDR4 Compatibility For Existing AM4 Motherboards

DDR5 is not cheap and it will take atleast 2+ years for it to come near the price of what DDR4 is. Then a lot of users would have upgraded their PC just now, given the price drop so maybe this is like giving Dual option to the end-users.

just upgrade the pc in 2025 ;)
Thats what I planned when purchasing 3600 last year, I'll probably upgrade in 2023 last when we will see second generation of Zen 4 also the prices would be stabilize by then.

On Topic, I don't like the idea of supporting AM4 for new socket and compromising full potential of new architecture but we all saw AMD did something similar with DDR3 to DDR4 Rams during transition days.

If this happens my guess is they might do something like the laptop CPU lineup...

5800u is Zen 3, 5700u is Zen 2, 5600u is Zen 3, 5500u is Zen 2 etc.

So the am4 "zen4" CPU might actually be branded 7000 series but actually be improved zen3+ 6nm and not the actual am5 5nm range?

If this happens my guess is they might do something like the laptop CPU lineup...

5800u is Zen 3, 5700u is Zen 2, 5600u is Zen 3, 5500u is Zen 2 etc.

So the am4 "zen4" CPU might actually be branded 7000 series but actually be improved zen3+ 6nm and not the actual am5 5nm range?
But zen4 is already confirmed to be LGA based and if any ddr4 compatibility comes then it will be on new boards only. If zen3+ comes which is very highly unlikely it will kill the sales of zen4.

Get ready for barrage of idiotically named processors from AMD.

If this news is true then there might be am4 and am5 versions of zen 4 processors instead a single processor lineup that's compatible for both sockets.

Last edited:
It makes perfect business sense though. Launching DDR5 only proc means much less sales as users will have to shell out too much money for not that much performance gains.
No it won't make any sense as then there won't be any point in launching zen4 cpu as no one will buy those and it wud be waste of resources. Also as per leaks the performance gains are quite huge just as intel showed with 12th gen.

No it won't make any sense as then there won't be any point in launching zen4 cpu as no one will buy those and it wud be waste of resources. Also as per leaks the performance gains are quite huge just as intel showed with 12th gen.
In that case DDR5 price and supply will bottleneck zen4 sale. I read intel 13th gen is still going to keep support for DDR4 so it's not going anywhere.

In that case DDR5 price and supply will bottleneck zen4 sale. I read intel 13th gen is still going to keep support for DDR4 so it's not going anywhere.
I guess If not now then close to launch amd will provide support for ddr4 also otherwise they are bound to loose a lot of customers but in 2-3 years span ddr5 will become common....untill then they should provide ddr4 support and i think they also know it.

With demand supply increases. When there are more products in market requiring ddr5 the production will ramp up thereby stabilizing ddr5 along with the price and ddr4 production will decrease. Just like what happened with ddr3/4 6th gen era and going further back ddr2/3 lga 775 era. Seems like u forgot all history.

Seems like u forgot all history.
I remember ddr 2 > 3 transition had AMD releasing CPUs that had both DDR2 as well as DDR3 controllers on the same chip. I don't remember what happened during DDR 3 > 4 transition on AMD side.

I remember, first few batches of any new DDR generation hardly offer significant benefit over last generation. We always had to wait a few years to see the actual benefits of a DDR generation change.

I also remember, with demand the price also goes up.

Anyway, it's not my personal hatred against any DDR version. I just said, it made sense to me from business perspective. I personally feel AMD chose wrong time to update their socket.

Back