Budget 90k+ AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT or Nvidia RTX 3080Ti ?

Hi guys. Since a long time I have been using Nvidia graphics cards and my preferred resolution for gaming has always been 1080P.
I recently upgraded my monitor to 1440P Gigabyte M27Q (170Hz) which has Freesync Premium and is Gsync compatible. So now I need to buy a GPU powerful enough to at least provide a frame rate around 150-170fps with medium settings in game. I don’t use features like ray tracing and dlss.
I am confused whether I should get the RTX 3080 Ti or the RX 6900XT or wait for a better card if it’s coming in the next 1 or 2 months.

If I go for the 6900 XT then I would need help with what settings I should change in the Radeon control panel as I am not familiar with it at all.

Another thing, which brands among the following are best in terms of reliability:

PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Phantom Gaming D

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
6900XT and 3080Ti are both overkill for a 1440p setup. Get a 3070Ti or a 3080 rather. Anyways, in next year or so, we will see new GPU's from both AMD and NVIDIA so does not makes sense to invest so much right now.

6900XT and 3080Ti are both overkill for a 1440p setup. Get a 3070Ti or a 3080 rather. Anyways, in next year or so, we will see new GPU's from both AMD and NVIDIA so does not makes sense to invest so much right now.
But I want to game on higher frames on that resolution.

I recently upgraded my monitor to 1440P Gigabyte M27Q (170Hz) which has Freesync Premium and is Gsync compatible. So now I need to buy a GPU powerful enough to at least provide a frame rate around 150-170fps with medium settings in game. I don’t use features like ray tracing and dlss..
It would actually be helpful to know what games you want as they can have wildly differing performance on same hardware...
As Fenix said, you might not need the mad expensive class GPUs...
170 fps would also require mad power on CPU... Hope you got that too..

It would actually be helpful to know what games you want as they can have wildly differing performance on same hardware...
As Fenix said, you might not need the mad expensive class GPUs...
170 fps would also require mad power on CPU... Hope you got that too..
I have a 8700K cpu. What I would be playing is mostly current FPS gen games like Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite, and upcoming games like Xdefiant and so on.
I don’t plan to upgrade my cpu as of now. Will upgrade when next gen intel processors come out. Because upgrading now means upgrading to a whole new system.

I have a 8700K cpu. What I would be playing is mostly current FPS gen games like Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite, and upcoming games like Xdefiant and so on.
I don’t plan to upgrade my cpu as of now. Will upgrade when next gen intel processors come out. Because upgrading now means upgrading to a whole new system.
I just installed 6900xt to my system..with halo infinite I am hitting 130 FPS with my 2k monitor on high settings. I have ryzen 5 3600 running at 4.1Ghz for your comparison

All good and valid points.
But if you believe in full eye candy (ray tracing in perticular) 3080ti is not overkill. What I have noticed that these high end cards shine at high resolutions. So a RTX 3080ti may be just 25% superior than a RTX 3060 @1080p but it will be 50% better at 4k. Anyways Fortnite give 60fps on my 3090 @ 1080p with full RT enabled. Knowledge is wisdom, make a call.
Good luck

All good and valid points.
But if you believe in full eye candy (ray tracing in perticular) 3080ti is not overkill. What I have noticed that these high end cards shine at high resolutions. So a RTX 3080ti may be just 25% superior than a RTX 3060 @1080p but it will be 50% better at 4k. Anyways Fortnite give 60fps on my 3090 @ 1080p with full RT enabled. Knowledge is wisdom, make a call.
Good luck
YOU PLAY FORTNITE :oops:
Hi guys. Since a long time I have been using Nvidia graphics cards and my preferred resolution for gaming has always been 1080P.
I recently upgraded my monitor to 1440P Gigabyte M27Q (170Hz) which has Freesync Premium and is Gsync compatible. So now I need to buy a GPU powerful enough to at least provide a frame rate around 150-170fps with medium settings in game. I don’t use features like ray tracing and dlss.
I am confused whether I should get the RTX 3080 Ti or the RX 6900XT or wait for a better card if it’s coming in the next 1 or 2 months.

If I go for the 6900 XT then I would need help with what settings I should change in the Radeon control panel as I am not familiar with it at all.

Another thing, which brands among the following are best in terms of reliability:

PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Phantom Gaming D

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest to get a 3060 or something and save the cash for next gen cards as they have quite a jump in performance. no sense in spending 1 lac + on this cards. also RTX is not that great even now as we need more powerful cards for this. Remember, if you play RTX specific games then only go for NVIDIA else AMD is a better value for money cards at the moment. the only game I am not that enjoying is MINECRAFT with Real Source RTX pack at higher fps. barely get 20 to 30 fps. but its good for me.

8700K can't do 150+Fps on modern AAA shooters at 2K or above, you need a CPU upgrade, at least 16 threads and high IPC. GPU can crank settings up but at the same time can't push that many frames, that's on your CPU.

8700K can't do 150+Fps on modern AAA shooters at 2K or above, you need a CPU upgrade, at least 16 threads and high IPC. GPU can crank settings up but at the same time can't push that many frames, that's on your CPU.
Ok. So then I guess it’s best to wait and buy Alderlake or next gen Raptorlake cpu along with next gen GPU. Will Raptorlake performance be a big jump compared to Alderlake? Or should I just settle for a 12900K later on? I don’t wait to wait too long for a CPU upgrade.

Ok. So then I guess it’s best to wait and buy Alderlake or next gen Raptorlake cpu along with next gen GPU. Will Raptorlake performance be a big jump compared to Alderlake? Or should I just settle for a 12900K later on? I don’t wait to wait too long for a CPU upgrade.
For a CPU upgrade methodology, I would suggest to get a GOOD mobo, a 6 core 12th Gen CPU that'd still SMOKE the 8700k and then upgrade to a Raptor next year.

And with the kind of games you play, 6900XT looks a good choice, but the 3080Ti might have more raw horsepower (but the 12 GiG might be a bottle a few years down the road....)

For a CPU upgrade methodology, I would suggest to get a GOOD mobo, a 6 core 12th Gen CPU that'd still SMOKE the 8700k and then upgrade to a Raptor next year.

And with the kind of games you play, 6900XT looks a good choice, but the 3080Ti might have more raw horsepower (but the 12 GiG might be a bottle a few years down the road....)
Makes more sense. 12600k is a good CPU, Paired with a 3070Ti/3080Ti/3080 @2K, you can get good frames. If you are not playing competitive, I really do not understand the purpose of 170 frames. Then better get a 240 Hertz monitor @1080p.

Back