AMD Ryzen 5500GT APU video processing libraries and Linux ffmpeg video encoding.

rupeshforu3

Disciple
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I brought a new desktop pc with ryzen 5500GT APU and Asus prime b450 m k2 motherboard. I have installed debian Trixie testing Linux distribution and everything is working fine except I have some doubts related to video encoding using ffmpeg and libaom av1.

I have some mp4 h264 video files and I thought to convert them to av1 codec using libaom. So I compiled ffmpeg source code with options cpu=znver3 and --enable-libaom and --enable-x265.

I succeeded in building ffmpeg from source code but my Linux doesn't have package related to AMF which is the software from AMD related to video codecs. During the configuration of ffmpeg first I have included the option --enable-amf but I got error as amf requested but not found. So I removed this option and after that the compilation was successful.

I have used the recently build ffmpeg to convert h264 files to av1 codec and succeeded. After that I have copied converted av1 files to the latest android tablet and tried to play through vlc video player but when I skip forward 10 minutes the player is getting stuck for few seconds and resume. I mean it can't respond quickly when I fast forward.

Previously I used Intel 10th gen 10100 APU and Asus prime h 510 me motherboard and used the same ffmpeg tool to convert the same h264 files to av1 codec in the same Linux operating system. After that I have copied them to the same latest android tablet and tried to play through vlc video player and at that time there is no lag when I fast forward. I mean it responded quickly when I fast forwarded.

Previously while using Intel 10th gen pc there were options such as --enable-libmfx --enable-qsv --enable-libvpl

I think that those are related to Intel but not useful while using amd APU and so I have given option --disable-libmfx and not used vpl qsv at all.

I searched web for AMD ffmpeg and found only AMF but there are no options mfx, vpl found in Intel.

I found an article on how to compile ffmpeg with AMF support and it suggested to clone the git of AMF and so I cloned it and the resulting cloned folder is 1300 mb.

I am confused on how to compile ffmpeg with AMF support.

Is there any degradation in the quality of converted av1 file when libraries such as AMF mfx vpl are not used.

If you say just ignore AMF support for ffmpeg I will ignore.

Kindly clarify my doubts related to AMF and if you think AMF is must for proper libaom encoding kindly suggest proper method to compile ffmpeg with AMF support.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Yes is doesn't have av1 hardware acceleration but it has h265 and h264 hardware acceleration encoder and decoders.

What is the meaning of uvd, vce from AMD and is there any way to use them in ffmpeg.
Other than AMF there are other terms like uvd, vce, freesync from AMD and is there any benefit of including them into ffmpeg and if there's any benefit then how to do so.
Is there any degradation in the quality of converted av1 file when libraries such as AMF mfx vpl are not used.

Last edited:
A bit off-topic but converting already compressed h264 clips to AV1 is pretty pointless unless those are some really inefficient huge h264 files & some extreme compression is going to be used while keeping as much quality as possible.

Back