AMD to Intel Upgrade advice

pratikb

Skilled
hi all,
Here is my thread for my friend who wants to upgrade his rig to intel core i7
he uses it for gaming.
he currently uses
amd athlon x2,asus motherboard,4gb RAM (ddr2) and GS600 power supply along with saffire 5770 graphics card.
he has put corsair h70 water cooler for his cpu.

now he wants to upgrade to core I7 or I5 upgrade.
sole use is gaming.

he would keep GS600 power supply,Saffire gfx card and Corsair H70 cooler.

Henceforth I need your expert advice for motherboard and cpu.

what i think is ,is it worth to wait for ivy bridge??
will launch of ivy bridge bring down cost of sandy bridge?

as he is using dedicated gfx card,which motherboard he should get?

he is in for upgrading cabinet as well.
his budget is 25000.
I can push it off by 3-4 thousand if its worth the cost.

tell me what i suggest for him.

IF he wants to overclock then yu can suggst him P67 series motherboards of Sandybridge series. As his sole purpose is gaming then tell him to go for i5 as it performs equally in gaming department as i7 but if he is interested in overclocking also then ask him to buy K series proccy's of Sandybridge. Ivy bridge will come around end of current years last quarter so if he can wait for that long then he should get Ivybridge as a Ivybridge compliant motherboard will have all the PCI-E slots as x16 by default & will work at same.

Let him wait it out. IMO, IVB is worth waiting for. Plus, if IVB turns out to be too expensive for him at that time, SNB prices would have come down a couple of bucks ~ 2000/2500.

Right now he is sitting on half dead system.

It powers up on its own whim.

So would likeyour advice to purchase it asap.

He never bothers about going in bios after initial setup.so no question of overclock.

What will be best components for him.

Well in that case the best config available is i3 2100 + H61/67 + 2x2GB XMS3 1600Mhz. i3 is enough for most of the games, if not all. HOwever, if you feel he needs an i5, switch the i3 to an i5 2400.

INtel motherboard chipsets for Sandy bridge are H61, h67, p67 and z68.

H61, 67 and Z68 can use the IGP in the SNB proccy.

P67 and Z68 can overclock the k series CPU.

P67 cannot use IGP. Z68 can use IGP but is not as good as P67 in overclocking (according to online forums)

^^ Ivy-Bridge will not drive down Sandy-Bridge prices as Intel doesn't have anything to fear at ~10000/- and above price points, so Sandy-Bridge prices are likely to hold as they are till they are about to go EoL and Intel wants to clear stocks.

Z68 is a more mature board in my opinion, it offers the best value for everything, more features than the P67 and at a similar price point --

1) here is a comparison chart for starters --

p67_block_diagram.gif

P67

98125-intel-z68-pdf.png

Z68

2) Features -- Lucid Virtu-GPU, SSD caching.

3) Use your discrete graphics card to play games while Quick Sync decodes HD-content.

thats excellent explanation alpha.

now come on guys,

Post the config. to buy.

1) intel core i5 2500k

2) z68 based board

3) RAM??

post it asap as tomorrow we getting it finalised/

thanks.

^^ Intel Core i5 2500k ~ 12200/-

ASUS P8Z68-M PRO ~ 10500/- [please confirm prices on your own for motherboard as I'm not a 100% on them]

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB 1600MHz module ~ 1650/-

Hope this helps.

which gigabyte board you suggest for z68.

he is other person who also suffered for great asus quality.

both of us swear that no asus in future builds.

thanks alpha.

pratikb said:
which gigabyte board you suggest for z68.

he is other person who also suffered for great asus quality.

both of us swear that no asus in future builds.

thanks alpha.

Hmmm... did not quite get you on this one, please elaborate.

I've got a ASUS board M4-EVO series AMD motherboard and I'm very satisfied with its build quality. SO I think your friend got a one off. Also I've not been tracking Gigabyte motherboards as they are slightly harder to get in Bangalore OR atleast on the surface it seems that way.

Also ASUS U-EFI interface is much better than any competing Hybrid-BIOS system by Gigabyte OR MSi so that is another feature that I'll highly recommend ASUS over Gigabyte -- Is it EFI or not? Gigabyte's Hybrid EFI BIOS explained - The Tech Report / ASUS UEFI BIOS Review - Introduction - What is an UEFI? / http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1632471.

Hope this explains.

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3-11.8k or GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-13.2k,these are really good options for you,If you really wanna go for gigabyte despite the above explanation by ALPHA17,they are also Great for ocing.

You remember my thread of asus rma?
We two bought same motherboard and both of our mother board suffered failure at same time.
Great Rahul from the it wares could not be of much help with rma.

I went through three different asus motherboards and finally gave up.

Poor fellow is still sufferings with Asus rashi peripheral rma.

That's why we decided not to buy any asus components just to avoid rashi peripheral rma.

^^ Then go for the Gigabyte motherboards that thegatekeeper has mentioned.

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3-11.8k or GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-13.2k,these are really good options for you,If you really wanna go for gigabyte despite the above explanation by ALPHA17,they are also Great for ocing.

Back