American Express Gift Card Query

sameer.sharma

Disciple
I have got an American Express Gift Card (worth of $3000 ($1000 my share :p) as a prize for a development competition.
(It was purchased in US and mailed to us).

I want to know if I can use this easily on Ebay or similar online shopping sites?
The card doesn't have a name on it and neither a address is attached to it.

If not, can I use this on something like Amazon.com (Do they ship in India?)

Please advise on this guys. (Validity is till 2020 though) :D
Ethan_Hunt, quan chi please help out.

EDIT-> I tried using the card on my PS3 for adding funds. (Created a new US account and tried in that.)
But the transaction failed due to AVS and now it shows $1.00 charge in card's history online.

Can I try to update address info by calling customer care? Will they allow me ti put in an India Address or only US Addresses are allowed?
I already talked to them once and they said it's a US card and you can only use it once you go to US .
annoyed.gif

Also I have tried it on ebay.in and another site but transaction also failed. (I think for the same reason).
There is no point trying Amazon/Ebay.com I think because they too will fail due to AVS I believe.
sad.png

So what should I do? Do I have any other options besides trying to get a hold of existing address information from competition organizers. (If the info is there?)
or try to update it with mine or any relative/friends' US address? (If I find one).

AFAIK
you can use it for most purchases in India,online and offline
But only thing is that the amount will be converted to dollars and a transaction fee will be levied every time you use the card

^ Cool.. ;) Flipkart.com doesn't support these though, right? :annoyed:
Can you tell me which sites did you use to make online purchases with AmEx Gift Card?

Yes it does. and as chaitu stated a transaction fee is levied.
It should work on all places that accepts American Express Cards .A List of websites is given here http://www.giftcardsindia.in/products/american-express-prepaid-card.
here is an example.

British Airways
British Airways
7% off on the round-the-year fares and 5% off on the promotional fares
Ebay.In
Get attractive offers when you use your American Express® cards to shop on eBay India
7% off, with a maximum discount of Rs 1000/Transaction
Infibeam
InfiBeam: Gifts to India | Online Shopping India | Apparel, Books, Cameras, Watches, Mobiles
15% Off with a maximum discount of Rs 500/Transaction
NGPAY Mobile App
www.ngpay.com
10% cash-back at ngpay using Promo-code ‘AMEXONLINE’, upto a maximum cash-back of Rs 1000/-
Indiatimes Shopping
Online Shopping: Shop Online for Mobiles, Books, Digital Cameras, Computers, Fashion Jewellery at Indiatimes Shopping - shopping.indiatimes.com
Shop from Indiatimes Shopping with your Amex card and avail flat 15% discount!
BookmyShow
Movie Tickets, Plays Tickets, Sports tickets, Concert Tickets on BookMyShow India
5% off on movie tickets
Fashion And You
Online Shopping ? The Latest Trends and luxury Brands at heavily Discounted Prices
10% off at Fashionandyou.com
FreeCultr
FREECULTR - Online Clothes Shopping For Shirts, Shoes, T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Jeans ? Men/Women Wear & Accessories
20% off upto maximum of Rs 1000/Transaction
Gadget Guru
Gadget Guru | India?s First online Tech Mall |Shop Popular Brands, Gadgets & Gizmos for home, office, men, women at cheap price.
15% off at Gadgetsguru.com

American cards without AVS? My understanding is many US cards come with AVS to avoid frauds. So not sure if it doesn't have any address.
Though you can try Amazon. Most probably will work.

My advise dont waste it on Indian shopping if you do US shopping , save it for US shopping . Many sites including newegg only accept US CC and you have a valid US gift card . No currency conversion charges and VAT .
If you intend using the money in India then generally its accepted everywhere , even if websites list otherwise . Try it out only few small websites with a new payment gateway will reject it and as such i think we have only 4/5 payment gateways

American cards without AVS? My understanding is many US cards come with AVS to avoid frauds. So not sure if it doesn't have any address.
Though you can try Amazon. Most probably will work.
What's AVS, please elaborate.

It's a gift card. It was perhaps purchased before the winners were announced. It surely doesn't have any names attached to it.

My advise dont waste it on Indian shopping if you do US shopping , save it for US shopping . Many sites including newegg only accept US CC and you have a valid US gift card . No currency conversion charges and VAT .
If you intend using the money in India then generally its accepted everywhere , even if websites list otherwise . Try it out only few small websites with a new payment gateway will reject it and as such i think we have only 4/5 payment gateways
Hmm.. Does newegg ships to India? What of customs?? Will that be a issue?

What's AVS, please elaborate.

It's a gift card. It was perhaps purchased before the winners were announced. It surely doesn't have any names attached to it.

Hmm.. Does newegg ships to India? What of customs?? Will that be a issue?
Use shopandship.com aka SNS we have registered dealer here . Buy from US , get it shipped to your virtual NY address and pc components have generally very less duty . Detailed duty is available on their thread . Use can also try ppobox or shopaboadonline.com aka ICC

Most of the good brands at local malls said no for American Express Cards. (Without even mentioning Gift Card)

ShoppersStop said yes, but I didn't try there.

cant such a gift card be taken to a bank and sold for cash? will be pretty good amount considering dollar-inr rate.

^ I am not sure. Does anybody have some info about this?

EDIT-> I tried using the card on my PS3 for adding funds. (Created a new US account and tried in that.)
But the transaction failed due to AVS and now it shows $1.00 charge in card's history online.

Can I try to update address info by calling customer care? Will they allow me ti put in an India Address or only US Addresses are allowed?
I already talked to them once and they said it's a US card and you can only use it once you go to US . :annoyed:

Also I have tried it on ebay.in and another site but transaction also failed. (I think for the same reason).
There is no point trying Amazon/Ebay.com I think because they too will fail due to AVS I believe. :(

So what should I do? Do I have any other options besides trying to get a hold of existing address information from competition organizers. (If the info is there?)
or try to update it with mine or any relative/friends' US address? (If I find one).
Ethan_Hunt and quan chi, :1ign13:

Told ya. AVS is a big problem using VCC/GCs online. You can try Amazon, maybe drop a mail to their CC. They are always very helpful.

I already talked to them once and they said it's a US card and you can only use it once you go to US . :annoyed:

There is no point trying Amazon/Ebay.com I think because they too will fail due to AVS I believe. :(

Ethan_Hunt and quan chi, :1ign13:
either you contact your source or american express cc or try some more shops.
As for PSN in india it only accepts credit card and no other cards as per my knowledge and debit card of icici banks only.
Why dont you try on ebay.com there are some international sites which ships in india.

Back