All OS AMOLED displays are now cheaper to produce than LCD

PoBoy

Skilled
Right on schedule, AMOLED displays are now cheaper to produce than LCD

http://www.androidauthority.com/amoled-displays-now-cheaper-than-lcd-682080/

Optics pundits have been crowing about AMOLED destroying LCD for a while now: they are thinner, brighter, more energy efficient and arguably offer better colors, higher contrast and deeper saturation than LCD. The biggest barrier stopping AMOLED from taking over as the smartphone display technology of choice has been price. Until now that is.

As predicted two years ago, it has only taken 24 months for AMOLED production costs to fall below that of LCD, according to new data from IHS Technology. Production costs in the first quarter for a 5-inch Full HD smartphone display are $14.30 for an AMOLED panel and $14.60 for an LCD display. In the fourth quarter of 2015, these figures were $17.10 and $15.70, respectively.

Not amoled that's for sure. LCD's only depend on a backlight.

The same tricks were used to kill plasma. Oh it looks so bright in the showroom. But nobody has such bright lights in their living room.

Not amoled that's for sure. LCD's only depend on a backlight.

The same tricks were used to kill plasma. Oh it looks so bright in the showroom. But nobody has such bright lights in their living room.

Days are gone when TV last minimum 10-15 years..... :(

Now people start celebrating if it cross 3 years without SINGLE ISSUE

bought VU 32" LED TV last year for 21k and now same brand available for 13k...

there is an huge price difference on online sales

bought VU 32" LED TV last year for 21k and now same brand available for 13k...

there is an huge price difference on online sales
[OT] Have you faced any issues with your TV? Do you feel that the panel has slow refresh rate?(ghosting)
Is the colour reproduction quality good?

[OT] Have you faced any issues with your TV? Do you feel that the panel has slow refresh rate?(ghosting)
Is the colour reproduction quality good?

have replaced few months back where screen shows multiples of white vertical lines
now feel a bit yellowish color on faces at screen...

Max life for led is 2 years... dont expect it to work like CRT for 8-10 years.

even companies like samsung & LG do provide only 1 year warranty

What segment are you buying in ?

There are companies out there that still use LCD with their phones. I intend to support them.

What segment are you buying in ?

There are companies out there that still use LCD with their phones. I intend to support them.

Was talking generally, but it will be help for other if you put list of some brand/model that still use LCD...

whats the actual difference between LCD vs LED in terms of performance, power usage, quality, lifespan?
Led backlight have a longer life compared to ccfl backlight.Led are brighter and consume much lesser power consumption.
The powersupply board for led is cheaper compared to ccfl.

To those who say lcd or led don't last, my three Sony Lcd tv are now 10 year old (made in japan,PVA panel ) ,9 years old (made in Thailand with AMVA panel)and 5 years old (made in Malaysia with SPVA panel) all are running good with zero issues.

Last edited:
Led backlight have a longer life compared to ccfl backlight.Led are brighter and consume much lesser power consumption.

To those who say lcd or led don't last, my three Sony Lcd tv are now 10 year old (made in japan,PVA panel ) ,9 years old (made in Thailand with AMVA panel)and 5 years old (made in Malaysia with SPVA panel) all are running good with zero issues.

It depends on the usage as well.. like for how many hours you watch TV daily..
In my scenario, its been ON for 8-10hrs daily..

Am referring to phones with amoleds losing brightness over time. There is no backlight with amoled. Each pixel is illuminated individually. The lcd has a backlight and this can least easily 5 years with no dimunition in brightness.

Point is backlighting IPS tech is longer lasting than amoled individually lit pixels. Amoled is brighter but also loses that brightness faster. Amoled is more efficient, consumes less battery for a given brightness than LCD. Amoled suffers from burn in which does not happen with LCD>

[DOUBLEPOST=1460559709][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was talking generally, but it will be help for other if you put list of some brand/model that still use LCD...
any company that uses lcd panels for their phones.

If you want a longer lasting screen go with LCD over amoled. Amoleds are prettier, sharper, brighter, more efficient but lose brightness over time.

if you change your devices every 2 years then there is no problem.

Last edited:
Am referring to phones with amoleds losing brightness over time. There is no backlight with amoled. Each pixel is illuminated individually. The lcd has a backlight and this can least easily 5 years with no dimunition in brightness.

Point is backlighting IPS tech is longer lasting than amoled individually lit pixels. Amoled is brighter but also loses that brightness faster. Amoled is more efficient, consumes less battery for a given brightness than LCD. Amoled suffers from burn in which does not happen with LCD>

[DOUBLEPOST=1460559709][/DOUBLEPOST]
any company that uses lcd panels for their phones.

If you want a longer lasting screen go with LCD over amoled. Amoleds are prettier, sharper, brighter, more efficient but lose brightness over time.

if you change your devices every 2 years then there is no problem.

Hey blr_p,

I was planning to buy Samsung J3 (Amoled) and a person who is intended to use same is well known for using handset for 5-8 years (Not smart/feature phones) but the old one with Key Pad (he still using 6-7k Range handset he bought 8 yrs ago)

So what will be your suggestion for such person...?

Thanks for updates....

Hey blr_p,

I was planning to buy Samsung J3 (Amoled) and a person who is intended to use same is well known for using handset for 5-8 years (Not smart/feature phones) but the old one with Key Pad (he still using 6-7k Range handset he bought 8 yrs ago)
which phone is this 5-8 yr one ? model

Source for my statements about amoled come from here.

So what will be your suggestion for such person...?

Thanks for updates....
How long you plan to keep it ? a phone like that gets no update so two years later you will get restless.

It depends on the usage as well.. like for how many hours you watch TV daily..
In my scenario, its been ON for 8-10hrs daily..
Here, the newer primary tv is used for 8 hrs a day and for the older smaller sized models they are used may be 2 to 3hrs/day .

which phone is this 5-8 yr one ? model

Source for my statements about amoled come from here.

How long you plan to keep it ? a phone like that gets no update so two years later you will get restless.

Hi blr_p

It's old model he bought in 2008-2009 - Samsung Made (Not Touch Screen but Keypad).

He is not gamer nor frequent upgrader but wish to have Decent Sound, Music & Decent Camera Phone.

Thanks for reply

Last edited by a moderator:
It's old model he bought in 2008-2009 - Samsung Made (Not Touch Screen but Keypad).

He is not gamer nor frequent upgrader but wish to have Decent Sound, Music & Decent Camera Phone.

Thanks for reply
You're saying that old samsung phone has an amoled screen which is still working well today ? brightness is good.

decent sound & camera you have to see yourself whether its good enough and compare to higher priced models. good sound and camera is a difficult combination to get. Usually you get one that is much better and the other is average to ok.

what i find with older feature phones is the speakers can be tweaked to blast sound out. Newer phones are softer in comparison. But loud sound does not mean good quality sound.

Last edited:
You're saying that old samsung phone has an amoled screen which is still working well today ? brightness is good.

decent sound & camera you have to see yourself whether its good enough and compare to higher priced models. good sound and camera is a difficult combination to get. Usually you get one that is much better and the other is average to ok.

what i find with older feature phones is the speakers can be tweaked to blast sound out. Newer phones are softer in comparison. But loud sound does not mean good quality sound.

Hey blr_p,

There is some misunderstanding, I thought you wish to suggest some good phone with LCD and ask me to avoid amoled screen handset.

Back