CPU/Mobo An opinion on ASUS A8N-e

MJKN

Disciple
Amigos,

I am planning to get this mobo and would require your valuable opinions and suggestion on this mobo, I enquired with "THE COMPUTER SHOP" located in brigade rd, Bangalore and was told that it will cost me Rs, 8050
Is this a good price or can it get lower next month or so. Am planning to teram it up witt an AMD 3000+

I was intitally plannig to go a for an ATI RS480 mobo since it had an inbuilt gfx which provided enough performance for me since i am no loger into hardcore gaming due to work related issues, Also I occasionaly plan to play HL2 and Gta San andreas (when its gonna be released for PC ofcuz :p). But then i am very much contended with my 4 year old ASUS cusl2c mobo running on a p3 800mhz ....so due to stabiltiy and performance issues i decided to stick wtih ASUS and i expect the same from the K8ne-dlx . Is MSI RS 480 tht good for 3days continuos usage.

My requirement is :

1) Upto 3 days of continious usage 24/7 without any satbilty issues ( my p3 can do that) .
2) Ocassional gaming . (hl2 and alike)
3) Dvd backups.
4) etc etc etc :eek:hyeah:

Also abt the gfx card i was thinking about the Leadtek 6600 pci-e which again the dealer quoted 9k, XFX is ther for around 8k. Or sud i wait and go for a vanilla 6800 pci-e when it comes doen to 10 grands. If ther are any cards worth emntioning for a max of 10k but preferably around 7-8k will be gr8.
Some doubts:

a) Will 512mb of ram sufficient for the above mentioned activity.
b) Is the performance diff between a AMD64 3200 and a 3500 that wide.
c) XFX or Leadtek ?
d) in HDD shall i go for Hitachi or Seagate (Samsung dies 3-4 yrs..atleast for me)

Hoping for a speedy response.

K8N-E deluxe is an AGP board for socket 754. The PCI-E board for socket 939 is A8N-E. Do not go for 754 unless u don't have the budget. Unless ur willing to put mobile processors, 754 is a dead end. Don't worry abt stability issues. Most systems will run for days without needing a reboot. For a 10K budget, go for a 6600GT PCI-E. Its around 50-60% faster than the vanilla 6600 and faster than the vanilla 6800 as well.

whoopie i probably put it down incorrcetly sorry abt tht i meant the 939 nforce 4 based mobo. Cant edit the topic name also :no:

Well the other queries:
1) 512 MB is not enuf for most things these days. RAM is cheap... get 1GB
2) Get a 3200+ winchester and save. Overclocks better than a 3500+ since all 3500+ chips in India are newcastles. If you really want the best oc'ing capability, get the 3200+ venice if you can find it. Extremely hard to get it though and will cost a premium over the winchester.
3) Leadtek 6600GT is the best bet.
4) Either is fine. I prefer seagate over the rest cos of their excellent after sales service.

Back