Monitors Anand reviews the 27" LED Apple Cinema Display!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Anand said:
Overall the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display isn’t the knockout I had hoped it would be. You get 90% of the resolution of a 30-inch display, in a more compact package. The ability to charge your notebook (if you’re a modern Apple user) is a nice convenience as well. And at $999 it’s actually more affordable than most 30-inch LCDs. With a 120Hz panel and RGB LED backlighting it could have been both forward looking and near perfect, instead what we have is a display that’s good, but not great.

Apple 27-inch LED Cinema Display Review - AnandTech

I think the Dell U2711 would be a better bet which's priced slightly higher (1100USD vis-a-vis the 1000USD price tag of the Apple display). The response time is much better with the Dell display. not to mention the plethora of connectivity options, the Dell panel offers. :p

Most of the people didnt Buy u2711 due to the AG Coating. This makes the monitor a lil Dull. The colors in Apple are more vivid so put in an another ay :p .. I doubt most of the people investing in a 27" would be buying it for Gaming so response time comparsion i feel is a little impractical :ashamed:

TBH, I felt the 'AG coating on the U2711' issue has been completely blown out of proportion. For one, I cannot understand why people prefer glossy displays to the matte screens and many of them seemed to complain that the colors looked very dull compared to the 27" Cinema Display which used the very same panel. IIRC the color gamut on the panels were the same.

Check out this thread wherein a fellow member had completely got rid of the AG coating on his U2711. Boy, one might need more than guts to do that. :p

my U2711 AG Coating MOD - Overclockers Australia Forums

Besides, the warranty is a goner that way.

considering the dell 2711h costs 1100 internationally ....its good that the prices in india are now comparable ( even better ....sometimes)

well apple scores on build quality....really dell are great with build q but apple is phenomenal !! ...i saw a friends 2 year old cinema display ...rock solid...literally

what about dell's amazing after sales service? i went from a 19 inches to 24 inches directly with a brief stopover at 22 inches!!

No Pivot,BNo Swivel ,So much for design considerations Apple! If at $1000 you are not providing these basic customization options then you clearly arnt thinking straight.

Coating works by absorbing Frequencies from visible Light Spectrum. Thats the reason why AG coating makes the colors a little Dull. I feel The entire Glossy monitor thing has been overhyped :p .. Its not like its a mirror. There are a few of these in my office since Mysore has a Apple Account. My Jaw literally dropped to the core of Earth when i first saw these monitors. Late in night when no one was working on it, i just went there to touch it to make sure it isnt a dream. I usually dont act like a Faboi but this was overpowering!

the dell monitor looks the same after the AD coating has been removed . Dell should sell some high end monitors without the coating

The Dell does look drab but then its meant to cater to professionals. I like the understated and elegant look.

Back