Car & Bike Android Auto/Apple Carplay Head unit

frozenscotch

Disciple
Do head units attract anyone’s interest here just curious or should I post this FS elsewhere?
Nowadays, apart from sound quality, android auto/apple car play features are kind of a must. In fact, I am looking for one.
Urs is a good unit considering it's sound quality, leaving the thread here doesn't hurt, may be some audio enthusiast in future might come across this thread
GLWS

If you're looking at Android Auto/Apple Carplay and good sound quality, I recommend the following from Pioneer, as they all have Network Mode as a feature.

DMH-ZF8550BT
DMH-ZS9350BT
DMH-ZF9350BT
DMH-Z6350BT
DMH-Z5290BT

I got the Z5290BT as it was the most cost-effective and met my requirements just fine. I prefer wired Apple Carplay because 1. bandwidth and little to no compression of audio and 2. your phone charges while being used wired.

The others are significantly more expensive.

The difference is looks and feature set; SQ will be the same.

To use Network Mode to boost your audio experience, use two or 3-way components in all four doors of your car and one large subwoofer (as opposed to 2 small ones).

For two-way components in 4 doors, you're looking at eight channels and would need 2 x 4 channel amplifiers or 1 x 8 channel amplifiers. Stick with Class D amplifiers, as they're good enough for components and won't overheat too much.

For three-way components in 4 doors, you're looking at 12 channels and would need 2 x 6 channels or 3 x 4 channel amplifiers. It gets a little cramped under the front seats, and for most folks, the 2-way components are good enough. If you have the money, though, no one's stopping you, lol!

For the subwoofer, go with a single-channel monoblock amplifier, which is excellent and powerful enough to drive a subwoofer at least 12 inches in diameter and at least 500 watts.

So you'll end up with either 2 or 3 amplifiers under the front passenger seats.
Once you set all of this up and turn on Network Mode in the initial setup of the Head Unit, you can use the Head Unit as a primary DSP, splitting HPF, HPF-Mid, LPF-Mid, and Subwoofer. You get to specify frequency cutoffs the slope of the cut-off with time alignment separating the tweeters, mid-woofer and the subwoofer. Make sure you set the mid-woofers in the doors to use mid and subwoofer frequencies at the amp if you're using two-way components. If you're in Bangalore, I can connect you with someone who knows how to do this setup and can help you out myself. Elsewhere, sorry, that might be a lot harder.

Last edited:
If you're looking at Android Auto/Apple Carplay and good sound quality, I recommend the following from Pioneer, as they all have Network Mode as a feature.
As an Alpine Fanboi, may I suggest alpine ILX W650E as well

Personally 3 way active is way into high end territory. I run DIY 3 way comps using a crossover i created myself and an aftermarket mid run off my HU. Personally I've not felt the need for an amp - Removed both my amp and full size sub and switched to underseat as i needed all the boot space post kids and family life.

Back