Android Cameraphone for 15-20K

greenhorn

Patron
1. Q: Budget?
A: 15-20k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Would rather avoid LG, but otherwise open to suggestions

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G & WiFi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, GPS and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Battery life!

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Xperia U

Hi all (and good to be back after a looong time :bleh:)
Have been looking to buy an android phone in the 15-20K range. My long suffering spica has just kicked the bucket, and now that i have my salary, I'm finally in the market to buy a phone.

My needs and priorities
The camera should be the best in its segment. I take a lot of snaps, and I was very happy with my Spica's pics (esp the ones I'd gotten from the modded CM6 ROM's). This is also the reason for the confusion. On paper the Xperia U with the exmor sensor should be the winner, but based on the pics I'd seen on review sites, and those from my friends who have Xperia Active and U's, most of them seem grainy and overexposed. I was prepared to deal with the other Xperia U limitations (bulk, non SD card slot etc) because of the fabulous cam sensor. But after seeing the actual pics, am having second thoughts.
The phone will be used for mainly taking pics, google maps - navigation, browsing mostly - very little games and actual calling ( i have a nokia dumbphone for that)

Other things am looking for - a bigger screen, more responsive UI, and official ICS , good dev support - CM would be awesome. Battery life would be nice to have, but I have chargers everywhere - home, office, car, and a 10000mAh portable pack, so its still bearable
People are saying that the neo V is old tech and its not worth it, but the screen and the camera seem to make up for it. There seems to be an atrix 2 for sale second hand for 16k. Decisions decisions:p Technically I have a rather large budget, but its split up between a lot of other things (fridge, AC, tv, washing machine, furniture etc) that I've decided to spend not more than 20K on the phone, and would rather limit it to 15K - the Xperia U seemed good enough, and is the benchmark right now.

I would rather buy from either local shops (am in chennai ) or from the classifieds from known members - no ebay, online shopping sites etc - don't trust the sellers

xperia U has lot of bugs in software/firmware department see below for number of problems
Main: Community: Xperia U

most common and worldwide is the network drop problem.
though it has good hardware barring the camera but it is full of bugs sony delvepers have not dont proper testing before releasing.
it will take some time for all bugs to be sorted out via firmware update and then there is wait for ICS too on the phone and then again sorting out new bugs.....
i feel 2011 xperia series was much better both in hardware and software but 2012 series is filled with problems and then on top of it sony is releasing all kind of phone whatever letter is left from A to Z just adding one feature to one model and removing other from next one.

^
All phones have problems and so does the U. Its not as if the 2011 range was flawless. Go to 2011 forums and you will find similar problems. Same for every other Samsung/HTc/Moto and what not device. Even One X and GS3 have truckload of problems

Anyway, @OP the best camera in that range is of the Htc One V. But its single core and won't get JB update. You might still wanna check it out. :)

Are you open to buy phones without warranty as in phones bought from the states. If yes you can check out a few HTC phones like Rezound, Amaze and Vivid. Both Amaze and Vivid have amazing camera.

Back