Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDroiD

Skilled
Ok!! So if you couldn't tell by my Avatar I am a huge G1 and Android fan. I am currently using a modified Rogers ROM

I noticed in a thread here somewhere that you guys are finally getting G1's over there, so I wanted to start a thread so I could give you guys that are into modding, some really great links. Please feel free to add info and ask questions to see if I can help... If I don't know the answer I at least may be able to point you in the right direction.

Currently I am working out how to create my own themes and will post a tutorial at a later date, but it will be for the more advanced tinkerers and graphics people.

Please no ipod fanboys tooting your horn, I don't care... please start your own thread somewhere else
<

So the term for hacking your G1 is rooting and you can start here

In the beginning... There was ROOT

here

SPLs for DREA100 & DREA110 (Orig, Eng, Hard)

and here

Modded recovery and boot images

then backup utilities

Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool

editing from the command line on the pc

Basic adb/root commands for noobs

This thread has info on other informative threads

***Informative Threads*** - Read before clicking "New Thread" [06/18]

Latly here is a list of some of the more popular ROMS that have been modded by and for the community.

ROM Build Database

Lastly... at XDA there is very little tolerance for people posting questions without searching the forum first, this is because some of the threads get huge and it becomes very difficult to manage. So please be respectful of others and search before you ask
<

When you are an expert, then you can install Debian as well

[REF]1 Click Debian, LXDE, GP2X installer(New Links)

When you have gone through most of this info you can also start checking out some great themes/skins here

Dream themes and wallpapers

Here are some other useful links too.

Google Android page

Open Handset Alliance Project

Android Phone

[Android Central]

Fastboot Cheat Sheet

HTC - Support - Flashing your Android Dev Phone with a Factory System Image

Installing the Android SDK (1.1_r1) | Android Developers

GScript * Easily launch/save shell scripts from within Android UI * - Useful scripts - Page 7 - xda-developers

Cyrket

Android-DLs Home - Android Games, Apps, News, Hacks, Forums, Wiki

HTC Hero Useful Links

Stuck On Indian / ASIAN Hero that wont let you root access or flash custom firmware ?

Here is the solution : HOWTO: Create a GoldCard - Bypassing the RUU/SPL CID check to Root/Downgrade - xda-developers

------------------------------

Recovery Image for Hero : [Recovery] [11-Oct-2009] RA-hero-v1.2.3 - xda-developers

MoDaCo Custom ROMs : [ROM] 20/10 2.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM Core / Chinese featuring Wavesecure - xda-developers

If you flashed the original RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.* and got the new hboot, follow this : If you flashed the original RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.* and got the new hboot - xda-developers

Re: Android G1 Thread

Wow, very nice post Pixel.
I'm looking forward to android platform since long but i really need it to depriciate with its pricing so as to enable me to proceed with a purchase.

For me, a good inutiative OS with a qwerty keyboard is the kill !

This is just brilliant PP :)

I have personally never seen or played with an Android OS. But i still have a few question out of my curiosity and of course knowledge, even though I have just purchased a SE W902. So, please pardon my noobiest questions. :gap:

1. Can android be installed on any Symbian/phone?
2. Android as an open source OS for mobile phones, is it freely available online?
3. And lastly, which is the cheapest Android phone in the market?

I got a few more questions, but i cant really remember them at this time.

Again, appreciate this mighty effort PP sir.

Sorry, I don't know if it can be installed on your phone. It is a linux based OS and works with ARM based mobile devices. I am not sure if the would work properly with your phone, but if it did, I would think that the firmware would have to be modified to work with it.

Yes the SDK is freely available online.

I think you can get an Android from Amazon relatively inexpensively, I live in the US so my cost would be different to yours :)

I know I have heard of ATT customers buying G1's and modding them to work with ATT instead of T-Mobile.

You can download and play with the source and emulator to see how it works, the emulator is pretty cool.

Installing the Android SDK | Android Developers - the source and information for installing it. :)

G1 ? I think Airtel is launching the G2 , Thats what HTC Magic is i think

manu1991 said:
G1 ? I think Airtel is launching the G2 , Thats what HTC Magic is i think

I believe you are correct, they are launching similar phones in different places by different names. Essentially there are already many versions of modded firmware that will work for the G1 the magic, sapphire, ion and rogers and I am sure not long for the G2 as well.

It seems they are dumping the images and rooting these phones as fast as they come out :p

G2 has already been launched by Airtel. It is priced (atrociously) at 29,990!!

I just had a short hands-on on G1 few days back, and while I have no doubts that this phone is a geek's delight, it still has a long way to go as far as UI, ease of use, grace etc. are concerned.

^^ I beg to differ ;) the UI is great and there are several custom UI's as well as a myriad of great skins if you are rooted.. and these skins are FREE too. Development of widgets is finally getting under way and there are many very useful and FREE widgets to use too. and if none of this floats ur boat...:p then you can wait for Adobe Flash later this year :D

There are so many great apps and useful tools that it is hard to keep up and I have to say that playing a port of the Doom engine on a touch screen, is pretty damn cool!!

There are awesome people that are contributing to the open source Android community and they are constantly improving the efficiency and operation of the UI which has been taken from ROM"S belonging different sources, these are being dissected and rebuilt into something beyond what was intended.

^^Yea maybe custom ROMs offer a better experience but I was talking about the stock ROM as not many (unlike us) would be interested in how customizable or modable a phone is. Rather, they want a wonderful experience right OOTB, which, IMO, Android fails to provide currently.

^^ Yes I know ;) there is already a Hero ROM rebuilt for the G1 :p I have tried it... it's a little slow I have to admit, but there is a huge amount of work being done on it right now to make it run smoother and it has already come a long way. The Launcher (UI) Rosie, is pretty cool.

Pat said:
^^Yea maybe custom ROMs offer a better experience but I was talking about the stock ROM as not many (unlike us) would be interested in how customizable or modable a phone is. Rather, they want a wonderful experience right OOTB, which, IMO, Android fails to provide currently.

Well I hope the phone you were using was based on the most updated ROM from Google which is Cupcake or 1.5. There are significant differences and Cupcake (just released here in the US as an over the air update from T-mobile) has many improvements.

One question: Is it possible to brick your G1 if there are any issues during flashing ?

Android devices are less prone to such failures as compare to WM devices. If someone is having a problem doing that PM me. Cheers.

Pat said:
One question: Is it possible to brick your G1 if there are any issues during flashing ?

It's very very hard to brick the device. There is a recovery image that you can boot to or you can use a dev tool called fastboot to restore backed up images from the ROM.

In fact one of the devs cyanogen has created a new recovery boot image that will backup and restore without ever booting into Android.

^^ what exactly do you mean by unlock.... or I should say, what are you trying to accomplish?

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
^^ what exactly do you mean by unlock.... or I should say, what are you trying to accomplish?

I mean, is it possible to unlock a g1 (which is locked to T mobile or any other operator) ? I see, many people selling their phones in ebay telling that its locked to Tmobile, if anyone buys that phone, can it be unlocked to use the phone with any operator by rooting it? am I clear now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back