Android phone(s) buying advice

Asky

Adept
Hey Guys,

This is a different kind of advice thread. My company is planning to release an Android application and we want it to be as backward compatible as possible with regards to the android versions ( 1.5 ?)

To test our applications on all versions of the OS , can we just install the appropriate SDK ( 1.5, 1.6 etc) and run it on the emulator or do we really need device(s) for most if not all of these android versions ? Is there ONE that can run all versions ?

We would buy unlocked ones from ebay with GSM being the only restriction. Which phone(s) would we need to buy ?

Thanks in advance.

ya simulator is enough in 98% cases.you install the simulator with SDK 1.5,1.6,...,2.1 etc. and while creating the android project select 1.5 as the SDK version.

android apps are forward compatible. so the apps with 1.5 SDK will also work properly for 2.2

Only few things are not possible for the simulator to simulate. like the vibration, accelerometer, camera etc. For 98% of apps, we generally don't use all this hardwares ;) If your app is using accelerometer, etc then you need a physical device to test fully.

And i dont think that the app your company is planning to release will use these special hardwares...

@amar7 Thanks for your reply.

Yep the app does not use the accelerometer etc. So my next question is, we would really need atleast one device to test it on, just to make sure. Which GSM device should we buy in this case ? Nexus one ?

Back