Anime Fans - What anime merchandise would you buy?

6pack

ex-Mod
Long time and no job. So was thinking of doing some retailing business in anime merchandise. Merchandise includes anything from dvd box sets to anime figures, model kits, magazines, manga, and maybe scale model painting kits. Was thinking of getting them based on the demand and response from anime fans.

If you're an anime fan you should know that these items are quite costly and will be imported from Japan (preferably) or USA.

Based on the inputs I get, I can make out operating costs etc, so please let me know how many are willing to buy these.

New additions:

I wont be able to get everything at the same time since I'm quite short on money, but have lots of time.

So I will bring the goods based on priority basis.

Ex: If a manga has around 20-25 buyers, and some anime figures have just 3-4 buyers, I will get the manga first.

Also let me know what type of product you will be interested in.

I was thinking of getting the more famous manga series like Love Hina, Ah My Goddess, etc here, but importing them costs high. I would have to get a minimum of around Rs 50,000 worth of orders a month just to get those manga and others too here. So anything not sold = a loss to me directly since these are non returnable goods. Yup manga are non returnable.

I know this should have been on some anime related site, but animestan seems to be the only site. One site is too small for this query.

Will make an account and post there too.

Edit: Posted there, and saw some dudes there who are here too. Adding some more info too here (additions) which I forgot.

Edit: Looks like animestan is dead or something. I'm the only registered member online from more than two hours. :O

Have seen some posts of dec09, but must be of peeps not knowing the forum is dead....

Won't a single issue cost in the range Rs 300-500? I could see people buying one or two issues of their favourite series but I seriously doubt you'd be able to get orders for 50k on that.

^ i was thinking of getting bulk orders. when buying in bulk the discounts are quite good. So instead of 300-400 for a volume price comes to around Rs 250-275.

Already the Gundam books on indiatimes are selling for around 450 per volume, so these prices are good imo. only minus point is if anything does not get totally sold out I will have to bear the cost of those mangas and my house will become a warehouse for those unsold books.

forgot to add that some manga sellers dont sell to international buyers. maybe cause of license restrictions. :(

^ You mean those resin cast 1/8 scale anime figures? you must know that those scale figures are made in limited quantities (around less than 5000) and get sold out in minutes, right?

I could try and get new figures (not flame of recca ones, only ones in stock) but each figure costs a hell amount of money since they will come from japan directly. I used to collect them and even nukeu collects them. they dont cost less than 3k each to be honest, and that's without shipping. Add to that those customs buggers want duty on those (around 28%).

the animestan forums are quite dead and have been for a while

you can find bunch of ppl on the irc channel most of the time though

there is also the animax forums but havent visited that in years

sorry to bump this old thread up. putting this on back burner for now due to lack of buyers.

also long time and no job. feel frustrated.

A question to all you business guys here

what business can i start in 25k investment? so that i can earn and learn about business instead of sitting vacant at home? looking for enough profit to pay just my monthly bills.

Don't want to play in share market since i'm not lucky there. all my investments in shares always nosedive.

Back