Another Case of Credit Card details compromised

quixand

Skilled
So yesterday morning I received an alert that my Netsafe password had been reset and OTP was messaged to me. I called up my bank and got it blocked immediately after confirming the last transaction.

Today, my bank called back informing me that somebody had tried to make a transaction of 4000+ on Flipkart. Transaction got declined therefore password OTP

I had made a transaction some weeks back on Flipkart (with Flyte) worth 120/-

Anybody else had to deal with this sort of a thing? And whats the remedy? Virtual Credit Card?

No. The last step where you need to enter the netsafe pwd, or mastercard securecode password was reset. Netsafe card would be a virtual cc valid for 48 hours IINM.

There might be 2 chances

1) Either your PC is infected with keyloggers which passes your cc details to the hacker/leecher/lamer
2) You might had done transaction in some eCommerce store whose gateway has been compromised, don't worry about Flipkart, as they use 3rd party gateway (ccavenue) i think, and they don't store cc details, mean your cc is not hacked from there.

can you elaborate which all online shopping you had done in recent 2 months where you had provided the cc details, the card has been leaked from the site which stores cc details and do in-website cc processing. :unsure:

Netsafe = VCC, are you taking about MasterCard SecureCode / Verified by Visa , HDFC uses same password for MSC/VBV & Netsafe .

What is NetSafe
NetSafe, the latest technology offering from HDFC Bank, is a unique service which makes online shopping completely secure. With NetSafe you create a virtual card (NetSafe Card) from your HDFC Bank Visa Credit / Debit Card or Mastercard Credit/Debit Card number that provides you with complete security while shopping online. The key benefits of NetSafe are as follows:

1. Your HDFC Bank credit / debit card number is never used on the merchant website
  2. The NetSafe card you create is a one time use card
  3. You can set your own limit for the NetSafe cards you generate
  4. You can use it on any merchant website that accepts VISA/Mastercard cards
  5. All purchases you make with NetSafe Cards will appear on your statement, just like any other transaction.

https://netsafe.hdfcbank.com/ACSWeb/enrolljsp/netsafe.jsp

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Only way this password can be compromised is probably through a keylogger

"MasterCard SecureCode / Verified by Visa".
This.

Yes somebody attempted to reset this password, for which I got an alert. Transaction got declined.

Details could have been taken from anywhere. Both Physically or over the net.

What kind of investigation takes place? Trace back from Flipkart etc?

Back