Another laptop,hope it works out this time

Hi Bond,I am a terrible photographer and do not have my SLR with me.Yeh me too hate those stickers,will remove them soon.

couple of things

- Unlike other laptops, you dont need to prop a macbook on a solid surface ... you can happily leave it running on your bed as there are no vents on the bottom

- I hope you aren't shutting it down everytime after you are done using it

superczar said:
couple of things

- Unlike other laptops, you dont need to prop a macbook on a solid surface ... you can happily leave it running on your bed as there are no vents on the bottom

+1 to that,i own the same one too :p

gem of a machine.

Congrats :D

I am asking a stupid question here.How many prongs does the extension cord have?Mine has 2,but isn`t it supposed to be 3 pronged?

superczar said:
couple of things

Dude that is so wrong, the vents are inside the Hinge and the MBP WILL heat up if you keep it on a bed or a soft surface.

Hell, even Apple says so: Apple - Support - MacBook Pro - Care and Handling

Important: Do not place your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat. Never place anything over your keyboard when operating in closed-lid mode. This can cause your computer to cycle on and off, which might create excessive heat and drain your battery.

red dragon said:
I am asking a stupid question here.How many prongs does the extension cord have?Mine has 2,but isn`t it supposed to be 3 pronged?
Look in your MBP Box, you'll find a 3-pin extension cable.

Oh and btw, congrats on your purchase, and I really do hope you remove those horrendous stickers off your notebook, Jony Ive might squirm and pass out if he saw that :p

Powersurge said:
Dude that is so wrong, the vents are inside the Hinge and the MBP WILL heat up if you keep it on a bed or a soft surface. Hell, even Apple says so: Apple - Support - MacBook Pro - Care and Handling
Hehe quite an eye-opener there. Even I thought otherwise. :p

Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

Powersurge said:
Dude that is so wrong, the vents are inside the Hinge and the MBP WILL heat up if you keep it on a bed or a soft surface.
Hell, even Apple says so: Apple - Support - MacBook Pro - Care and Handling

I think the heating effect is lesser on a macbook than other laptops.(obviously,just because of that we can't say its a non-issue)
I have seen it myself,my dad's toshiba laptop heats up like crazy,if kept on the bed.
While the macbook pro,does much better,lot more cooler than toshiba,but still a bit hot.
There is an app called smcfancontrol,where i crank up the fans to 6200rpm,when its gets hot.(cools it to around 57 from original 67-68)

Srirama said:
I think the heating effect is lesser on a macbook than other laptops.(obviously,just because of that we can't say its a non-issue)

I have seen it myself,my dad's toshiba laptop heats up like crazy,if kept on the bed.

While the macbook pro,does much better,lot more cooler than toshiba,but still a bit hot.

There is an app called smcfancontrol,where i crank up the fans to 6200rpm,when its gets hot.(cools it to around 57 from original 67-68)
I am well aware of SMCfancontrol, but the whole point of having a quiet and cool laptop is that the fans dont spin up unnecessarily. The MBP is LOUD even with the fans any higher than 4k RPM.

Besides, I dont get what you're trying to say. Apple has designed the hinge vents for airflow and the back plate for heat dissipation. It's not a question of wether the MBP gets hotter than other Laptops or not, its about using it properly without hindering heat dissipation, and it sounding like a wailing banshee when the fans spin up/you spin them up using SMCFanControl

Powersurge said:
I am well aware of SMCfancontrol, but the whole point of having a quiet and cool laptop is that the fans dont spin up unnecessarily. The MBP is LOUD even with the fans any higher than 4k RPM.

Besides, I dont get what you're trying to say. Apple has designed the hinge vents for airflow and the back plate for heat dissipation. It's not a question of wether the MBP gets hotter than other Laptops or not, its about using it properly without hindering heat dissipation, and it sounding like a wailing banshee when the fans spin up/you spin them up using SMCFanControl
I just meant that that it does not get that hot compared to other laptop when kept on a bed.

That is all,i do use smcfancontrol while watching youtube at 720p,helps cool it a bit.( I'm just paranoid about keeping temperatures down :p)

Back