Another Mac

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
My wife took away my 11 inch MBA 3 months ago and I was left with the 2years old MBP which still runs like a champion but was getting a li`l to heavy on me.

I was ready to give Windows another try and planned to get a Windows ultrabook.

Spent more than 2 hours with a lot of ultrabooks(zenbook,U300,X220,some Toshiba Portege probably R830 and series 9)

Was about to buy Zenbook(despite the pathetic trackpad),suddenly the nice gentleman who was giving the demo told me to wait a second went upstairs and brought a 11 Air(he later told me that they are not allowed to open Apple boxes,as the people who buy these are usually fussy and create problems and all of a sudden he remembered there was one open box upstairs)

I have used MBA for a significant amount of time before it was snatched away,but this was the first time I could actually compare so many ultrabooks at a time.

.....and boy!!!Call me a fanboy or whatever MBA simply blows each and every Windows ultrabook by the looks alone.

And again,same thing happened...bought another 11 inch Air(128+4GB one)

pics with his older brother

http://imgur.com/a/vf8pO#0

Sorry for those crap pics,will try to upload a few better ones when I can manage some time(my job is fu&k!n` killing me!!)

Have to agree.

Was looking at one of these new ultrabooks [only because I was scared of jumping onto the Mac bandwagon and not liking it at all], and my wife yelled at me, saying 'at least try a Mac'. Got a 13" MBA, loved it, got one for her, and my daughter loved them too, so she got an iMac. Just yesterday, I got a Mac mini for my dad, and I think between Nov 24th to Feb 7th we have all switched from Windows to computers that 'just work'.

Edit: BTW, Congrats.

Edit 2: The MBAs do not blow away the ultrabooks by looks alone, but by performance.

Dont Tempt me Dump my Windoze machines!!

I am actually waiting for a Mac Mini Refresh, to use it as a Mini Server! If it serves Well, then my next Lap is gonna be an Air!

The air is even better than the pro due to higher res (1366x768 vs 1280x800)! Congrats!

The air is even better than the pro due to higher res (1366x768 vs 1280x800)! Congrats!

Well, congrats...

But, just wanted to know, whether are you getting any discounts on them? Cos here in Mumbai, the iMac 27 incher has been discontinued and new ones will only be the ones with IB proccy's, according to my friend who is planning on getting the 27 incher in April.

Yes,the 27 incher with Ivy will launch soon.

The pros and iMac will have them first.

No news on Airs though.

Thanks everyone!

I don't think the new models will come in as early as April. Isn't that the time that the IB will be launched? Might be a month or two before Apple markets computers with the new processors?

BTW, Red Dragon, where did you see all these ultrabooks on display alongside Macs?

What were the prices on the UB's? As there has been a price cut in the US for the same.

On to the Apple imac, actually, apart from Reliance, every other retailer here in mumbai has mentioned that the imacs are OOS. Only Reliance has them, and there seems to be a 27" with a core i3 CPU, @ 45K!

^^No imac comes with i3,let alone the 27 incher.

Only quad i5 and optional i7 is available.

Even with c2d the 27 incher will cost more 45k.

Where did you find about the price cut for MBA?

It is still selling for 999-1199USD(11 inch)&1299-1599USD(13 inch)

BTW, Red Dragon, where did you see all these ultrabooks on display alongside Macs?

I bought it in Mumbai,on my way to Airport from Andheri(have to check with the cash memo,as I do not remember the name of the shop,infotech services or something like that)

Decent shop,and the sales rep was very much enthusiastic as there were two goris and one gora from office with me(they sadly do not have any interest in laptops)

Other than the u300,no ultrabook was on display(usual xps,dv6 etc were there),but that enthusiastic gentleman opened sealed packs of x220,S3 and r830 right in front of us.Arranged the zenbook from somewhere nearby in less than 15 minutes.

Really loved the expression on the man`s face who was so eager to help and explain those 2 ladies,while I was asking all the questions!

But he was a really helpful guy,sales persons in kolkata laptop stores are just opposite...lazy,cocky and ignorant.

Loved the very short trip to Mumbai.

I told him the same, but he insists that there are core i3 Mac's. Now, AFAIK, there are only Clarkdale based i3's that i know of, and that Apple uses only i5 and i7 SNBs in their newer models.

As of the reduction, was speaking of windoze ultrabooks [UB] and not MBA's
<

Do not know about US,but here in India Windows(I did not write Windoze,do not want sunny27 after me again!)ultrabooks`

price probably has fallen slightly.

The i7 Zenbook was available for 85k(i5 was not available)

U300(i5) for 65k,both come with 4gb of memory and 128gb ssd.

S3-did not ask(worst of the lot)

x220(not sure of the specs,i3 was not available)-probably started from 65k(actually planned for it,but totally put off by the thickness)

But I must admit it has one of the best display I have ever seen,it is light too,but the damn thickness killed the deal for me.

Back