antivirus for a computer without internet

I tried to search the forum but could not find a similar thread

A friend needs an antivirus s/w for her home PC
the PC is mainly used for movies and some games (onboard gfx) by her brother.

PC config
i3, 2gb ddr3, 500gb hdd

no internet connection at all. no 3g/2g dongle, no wifi, no GPRS from a mobile, no dialup as well
(so need basic protection esp at USB ports, that's all. no need of internet security packages)

Requirements
Totally non-dependant on internet
. internet less installation and activation
. definition update via USB pendrive
. basic and not irritating protection

I tried Avast Free antivirus but it needs internet for activation.
Big guns like KIS, norton are out and frankly not needed for her PC

I think AVIRA will work. i'm downloading it and the definitions (.vdf file)
But i need a back up option as it's not very convenient for me to go her place often.

I will recommend Avast. It does have an offline registration method.. maybe you overlooked it. If you go into Maintenance tab, you will something related to offline registration. I have registered mine, so it's not visible to me anymore. But, I recently did it for a friend of mine, who does not have an internet connection too. I have been installing Avast on his PC for years now, without any problems.

You will need to go to this link, to register Avast, and get the serial key which they send in the email:

http://www.avast.com/en-in/registration-free-antivirus.php

Copy paste that serial in notepad, and take that file to your friend's house, and use it to register Avast. Also, make sure to download the latest definitions too, and take that along with you too.

Also, make sure to install Avast carefully. First, it offers Google Chrome.. so make sure to avoid that. Also, choose Custom installation, because many of the shields will not be needed. Only the file shield will be needed.. rest all are not necessary, as the computer does not have internet. Even dont select the behavior shield, because it will throw up false positive, and it will be difficult for your friend to deal with.

Also, in the settings, turn off the reputation services, and streaming updates. Again not necessary since computer does not have internet. Also turn off the auto sandbox, in the file shield settings... as again, it will be confusing to deal with. Also check other settings, and turn them off, as there are other few, like Avast community, or connecting to Avast account, or monthly reports, etc... which are not needed, and should be turned off.

Also turn off the browser rep, software updater, and all those things, which will be shown during installation. None are needed.

As for protection from pen drives.. that's the biggest threat for an offline PC. But, no antivirus can offer full protection against that, not even Avast, or any other reputed antivirus. There is always the chance that some malware might get through the protection. Avast does scan pen drives though, and offers protection, but again, it's not 100%.

I will suggest that you teach your friend to use Toolwiz Time Freeze. It's an excellent solution for this thing. It's free, and is a virtualization software.

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/

To use it, start it. Then, any changes made to the system while it's protection is on, will be in its environment only, and the system won't be affected. So, plug in the USB while its protection is on. Then, scan the USB, and clean any malware in it. Make sure to eject the pen drive, while the protection is on. Then, simply reboot the machine... and Windows will boot normally.

Another suggestion is to use this software:

http://www.mcshield.net/

It's kind of a USB antivirus.. and it can run alongside other main antivirus. It has definition updates, and it scans the pen drives when inserted. I have installed it on my cousin's PC, and it's running well. But yes, I don't know how effective it is, because I haven't seen it in action myself, and also, there are no third party tests to know of its effectiveness. Still, it looks like a good security solution.

I hope all this helps.

MSE is not that good.. wouldn't recommend it. It has not been doing well in the recent AV tests. Also, its updates come from Windows Updates, and since there is no internet, it wouldn't update. I don't know if offline updates are available. Even then, I have noticed that it makes the computer lag a bit, specially when opening a folder full of exe files.

Avast is a better choice.

For day to day usage, MSE is clean and well integrated.

Since USB drives are mostly the only source of virus, would suggest to do the following :

1. Make seperate admin account and user accounts. Put password on admin account and set directly to login to user account.

2. ensure that file extensions are shown. Ensure they dont double click on any unknown exe file.

thanks guys for your replys... due to rain, i can't go to her home for 2-3 days.
I'll try Avira first. Avast is next.
AVG , I don't like. gives lot of trouble while uninstalling it. prevents installation of another AV after that, (own experience)
MSE I don't trust esp as she has win7 ahem ver

Back