Any aquarists here?

Kumar

Skilled
So, I love fish (no, not to eat but to watch :bleh: ). They are a great way of destressing yourself or just plain beautiful.

I started keeping an aquarium 2 years ago. From then onwards, I learnt a lot and still am.

I expect many of you have fish tanks too. Go on, post some pics of your tanks.

Fish:
2 x Goldies
2 x Red fin sharks (1 white and 1 dark)
2 x Serpae tetra

Hey Kumar, good post.

I have been thinking of one for quite a while. Maybe your post will push me further into getting one.

Please post back on some common things to keep in mind for Indian conditions.

My neighbour has a huge collection, maybe I have to meet him soon.

Hmm, Nice to see ur tank, you maintained it very nicely..

I had fishtank when I was in 8th.. I was dumb in Maintaining that.. Almost all fishes died in few weeks.. Since then, I only love to eat fishes.. not to pet them :bleh:

I had a small turtle which lived in water as well as on air.. i loved them so much and they died in 6 months. we bought 6-7 of them and 2 at a time

i have a tortoise at home....
it was going to come under our car but we stopped just in time...
my dads friend picked it up and took it back with us...and then didnot take it home
so its been in my garden ever since...i think 3 years now

sleeps a lot....tries to climb on a rock garden/waterfall and falls over....and then cant straighten itself.. so we have to keep watch or it would be lying there for days
shares food with squirrels...both sit in front of each other and just STARE
loves to eat tomatoes and bhindi of all vegetables...so my dad takes salad from the table and puts it out in the garden so i dont get tomatoes in my salad nemore :)

^^quite a description eh :p

_pappu_ said:
sleeps a lot....tries to climb on a rock garden/waterfall and falls over....and then cant straighten itself..

^^ thats sho cute :rofl: :rofl: .if possible try posting some pics of the turtle .

and yeah guys incase if youve named your water pets ..do tell us there names too :).

^^not exactly cute....if its lying like that for days and we dont find it, it may die :(
and btw, its a tortoise and not a turtle....mine has legs while yours has flippers :)

btw, we call it herby

and i think its illegal to keep it as a pet :O

_pappu_ said:
i have a tortoise at home....

it was going to come under our car but we stopped just in time...

my dads friend picked it up and took it back with us...and then didnot take it home

so its been in my garden ever since...i think 3 years now

sleeps a lot....tries to climb on a rock garden/waterfall and falls over....and then cant straighten itself.. so we have to keep watch or it would be lying there for days

shares food with squirrels...both sit in front of each other and just STARE

loves to eat tomatoes and bhindi of all vegetables...so my dad takes salad from the table and puts it out in the garden so i dont get tomatoes in my salad nemore :)

^^quite a description eh :p

:clapping:

Reminds me of a small tortoise [about the size <25cm2!! :ashamed:] I'd scavenged from an old tar-container which was dumped with grass n unwanted weeds [not that weed!!!] from our upcoming house construction site;

Mom insisted me to let it go since she 'd me telling everyday that I spoiled its habitat and now that it has very limited freedom n all;

Was happy to let it go;

And btw Kumar bro, thats an awsum aquarium u've got there; :)

Anybody has a Piranha in one of those?? :ashamed:

EDIT: appo has them??? :O Damn!!!

Has lots of fishes and snails when i was in school. But gradually they died and i didn't have the patience or money to get new ones. Me and a aquarium enthusiast friend of mine are planning to invest some money into it once we start earning :)

loves to eat tomatoes and bhindi of all vegetables...so my dad takes salad from the table and puts it out in the garden so i dont get tomatoes in my salad nemore

:rofl::rofl:

Coming to the topic , how much did that fish tank cost you Kumar ? I am thinking of buying one myself. Also did you set up the whole fish tank by yourself or did the aquarium store set it up for you ?

It can cost on the Size of the Tank,

The Two Feet Tank & Fishes which Kumar has would have costed him around 1200-1800,

Will clean mine this weekend and post pics........

I have being maintaining an Aqaurairum for 8 Years now.....

Still there is a lot to learn about fishes,

He he...

clean your tank and post it dude!

@Bluffmaster
The tank was bought from a local shop and all the setting up was by myself.

Here is the run-down of the costs
Tank : 400-600 IIRC
Filter : 500
Gravel : 4x(40Rs./packet)=~160
Fish : Somewhere around 150 for the lot
Lighting : 2x6W tubes along with frames=~240
Misc plants and tubing= 50
A tub+mug only for the aquarium maintainance purpose = 100

Total : 1800. exactly as hmasalia said...

forgot to post here yesterday :p
have been keeping aquariums for the last 12 years
just shifted many of my aquariums to my friends terrace and currently in my house i have
5x2x2 - 4 x red eared sliders
6x2x2 - spotted gars, red tail catfishes, tiger shovelnose catfishes, clarias catfish
3x2x2 marine tank - 16 clark clownfishes
4x2x2 marine tank - 2 starfishes, 2 clark clowns, 2 gold striped maroon clowns, 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 pink spotted shrimp gobies, 2 collare butterfly and 2 papuan tobies
2x1.5x1.5 marine tank with a similar sized sump - a mertens capet sea anemone (this is a huge anemone, will be shifted to a larger tank), 3 red beadlet anemones, 2 purple sea urchins. planning to add lps corals later on.

Back