Monitors Any budget 16:10 monitors around?

stalker

Skilled
I'm looking to get a LCD monitor which will primarily be used in portrait mode.

I don't really care about accurate colors/viewing angles, etc. What I do care about is the 16:10 ratio since I can use all the extra pixels that I'd get.

My budget is sub $250. Looking to find the biggest 16:10 monitor within this.

I took a look at Dell/HP/NEC and they seem to be out of reach for the most part. Don't really know about what Asus/BenQ/Viewsonic etc have to offer in this range.

Suggestions welcome :)

Anything in 1920 x 1200?

Edit: With the same features as what Stalker wants but a possibly higher budget

Grease Monk said:
Anything in 1920 x 1200?

Edit: With the same features as what Stalker wants but a possibly higher budget
Most (all maybe?) 1920x1200 monitors are > 24 inch.

At the low end, you have Hanns-G monitors with 27.5/28 inch screens at ~300$. Positives are Cost and Size. Negatives are it being a TN panel and viewing angles. There are also Asus 25.5 inch models at ~300$.

At the mid end, you get some Samsung, Lenovo and Viewsonic 24inch screens at ~400$. Viewing angles will be a bit better than the Hanns-G. (And maybe reliability?)

At the higher end, you have IPS panels. There is a dell 24inch at 600$. There are good NEC monitors for ~800$ to 1000$.

These are a few of the options for 1920x1200. BenQ used to have very nice monitors at that resolution for a decent cost. (HDMI, 1:1 pixel mapping, etc). Everyone seems to be moving to the 16:9 aspect ratio. A shame, really.

whatsinaname said:
Most (all maybe?) 1920x1200 monitors are > 24 inch.

At the low end, you have Hanns-G monitors with 27.5/28 inch screens at ~300$. Positives are Cost and Size. Negatives are it being a TN panel and viewing angles. There are also Asus 25.5 inch models at ~300$.

At the mid end, you get some Samsung, Lenovo and Viewsonic 24inch screens at ~400$. Viewing angles will be a bit better than the Hanns-G. (And maybe reliability?)

At the higher end, you have IPS panels. There is a dell 24inch at 600$. There are good NEC monitors for ~800$ to 1000$.

These are a few of the options for 1920x1200. BenQ used to have very nice monitors at that resolution for a decent cost. (HDMI, 1:1 pixel mapping, etc). Everyone seems to be moving to the 16:9 aspect ratio. A shame, really.
I think Monk is still in Chennai. Or has he gone back to the US?

In any case, I don't think Dell has a 24 incher other than the U2410 which sports the 1920 x 1200 resolution. The E248WFP was the then cheapest 24incher which had the same resolution and had a TN panel and okayish viewing angles. I don't think viewing angles is much of a concern here although he hasn't mentioned his requirements as yet.

Hanns. G LCDs are very VFM and if he is in the US, he can source one for cheap. I saw a couple of huge LCD TVs from Hanns G at my training centre at Mysore and had some slick PQ.

Hehe, yeah, should have probably mentioned. Still in Chennai.

Was just considering upgrading my monitor to a higher-res 16:10. I see a bunch of amazing monitors out on the market these days, but they're all 16:9 which I cant stand. I'd buy a TV if all I was going to do was watch movies on it, thankyouverymuch.

Mainly gaming with some occasional reading in portrait mode. Viewing angles definitely not important, but would like some decent picture\colour quality as well.

Budget? :)

Like I said before, 1920 x 1200 is a no go these days with every other manufacturer cramping full HD res into smaller LCDs thus affecting the pixel count. Your best bet is to source the good old E248WFP through some Dell rep. Seems like Dell is still retailing this one.

Dell E248WFP | Dell India

Give them a shout or contact some employee and see if you can get one through them. :)

No particular budget at the moment, just looking for good value. If I get exceptionally better image quality, I'll shell out more. Checked out the E248WFP, no pivot\rotate\whateveryoucalllit option to switch easily to portrait mode.

@Stalker: Apologies for commandeering your thread.

stalker said:
I'd really like a few more pixels :(
Eh? That's the default resolution on a 16:10 LCD. And Bhairav's suggestion is the best. You get an awesome IPS panel, the 16:10 aspect ratio and a rotate/tilt stand - best of all worlds IMO. Else you may have to look for 24 inchers. And there was this Dell 23 incher with a LED backlit panel which had a weird resolution of 2xxx x 1xxx IIRC.

Desecrator said:
Eh? That's the default resolution on a 16:10 LCD. And Bhairav's suggestion is the best. You get an awesome IPS panel, the 16:10 aspect ratio and a rotate/tilt stand - best of all worlds IMO. Else you may have to look for 24 inchers. And there was this Dell 23 incher with a LED backlit panel which had a weird resolution of 2xxx x 1xxx IIRC.
1920*1200 is 16:10 as well

stalker said:
1920*1200 is 16:10 as well

Bugger you said your budget was sub 250USD! :mad:
sunny27 said:
Is G-Hanz available in India? can anyone post the links or dealership details?
None that I am aware of although I have seen peeps getting some from Sgp, Malaysia etc. Warranty is screwed if something goes wrong later on. :)

Back