Storage Solutions Any good deals on NVMe external USB enclosures?

Comes with Free 512 SSD or what? KRAZYY price. :laughing:
Comes with ROG Stickers, what do you want more?
Any good deals on the NVMe external USB enclosures?

I so want to buy the Asus ROG Strix Arion case but it's spitefully expensive LoL!
i have this and it usually have coupon of 100/200, there's a rgb version too.
There's deal on orico ones for <500 bucks couple of days back.

I so want to buy the Asus ROG Strix Arion case but it's spitefully expensive LoL!
NVMe external usb enclosures in general have very poor thermal performance so not recommended for fast/top tier NVMe drives because of thermal throttling. Also, good dramless NVMe drives like WD SN570/580/770 can't use system ram as dram (aka HBM feature) so their performance reduce significantly in such usb enclosures. In short, there isn't much point practically to go for such usb enclosure over a good sata ssd like mx500 or 860/870 evo in usb enclosure.

Comes with Free 512 SSD or what? KRAZYY price. :laughing:
You are paying extra for the supposedly superior thermal performance.

There's deal on orico ones for <500 bucks couple of days back.
That deal ended within a few hours. Now it's back at 1000-1100.
That orico enclosure has a 50-50 chance of getting delivered with a type c cable that will work only in a specific orientation (the usb c connectors on either end are not exactly 100% same orientation wise so out of 4 possible combinations AA BB AB BA (where A & B are top & bottom surface of type c connector on either end of cable) only one combination/orientation works while another combination will work stably at only usb 2.0 speeds & will hang at any transfer at usb 3 speeds). I have this orico model & after reading a post here which figured out this solution I experimented & found out the correct combination for the type c cable & used a marker to mark the correct orientation.

That orico enclosure has a 50-50 chance of getting delivered with a type c cable that will work only in a specific orientation (the usb c connectors on either end are not exactly 100% same orientation wise so out of 4 possible combinations AA BB AB BA (where A & B are top & bottom surface of type c connector on either end of cable) only one combination/orientation works while another combination will work stably at only usb 2.0 speeds & will hang at any transfer at usb 3 speeds). I have this orico model & after reading a post here which figured out this solution I experimented & found out the correct combination for the type c cable & used a marker to mark the correct orientation.
Can you link me to that post.
I m receiving a sata +nvme orico in couple of days

Thats what i said.
BTW, the pibox one i posted is great, all metal and comes with hard case.

Thanks bro... I have a Pibox HDD Dock and it's been serving me well for the last 5 years now. Haven't faced a single disconnection issue on it ever. I'm getting the one you linked me too unless I go berserk and get the Asus one :smilingimp:

Thanks bro... I have a Pibox HDD Dock and it's been serving me well for the last 5 years now. Haven't faced a single disconnection issue on it ever. I'm getting the one you linked me too unless I go berserk and get the Asus one :smilingimp:
This one comes with fan and starts cooling when the temps are high. Also the build is solid.

received it today and works well, but it lacks air vents when cover is on
That is common to almost all NVMe usb enclosures. Either get a active cooling enclosure with small fan or get something with good thermal dissipation design but it will cost much more. For all else I suggest to remove the cover when using NVMe & then put it back once work is done & disconnected the enclosure.

the Sabrent one was around 2.2k and has been working great for me so far, got mine from PrimeABGB, you can mail them and ask when they'd be getting more stock

This depends on what you want to achieve from said enclosure.
I have a bunch ranging from pibox (cheapest) to a thunderbolt unit and a couple of other units in between.

If you want the drive to perform at par (or at least close to) internal then TB/USB4 enclosure is the way to go. These are typically large units with well designed thermals and can manage sustained transfers at 3-4 GB/s for large file transfers for pretty much as long as it would take an internal unit to slow down
this presumes your system(s) have USB4 or Thunderbolt ports.
Also, they cost a fair bit higher - but can be completely worth it based on your usage / requirements.

Mine is a ASM2464PD based unit and it is totally worth it (I use it docked with a MBP + a 2TB SSD)

At the other end, The pibox unit is not bad for the price. It can link at 10gbps and manages 800-900 MB/s but slows down quickly if using for sustained transfers - it slows down quickly on large file transfers - maybe within 30-40 secs.
Another ugreen unit manages 1GB/s and appears to maintain peak speeds for a bit longer - maybe a few minutes.

If you are just looking for a quick & easy unit which works as a very fast pen drive - the pibox unit will suffice

Also 2 of mine are effectively spares - so in case you are OK with used, feel free to DM

That is common to almost all NVMe usb enclosures. Either get a active cooling enclosure with small fan or get something with good thermal dissipation design but it will cost much more. For all else I suggest to remove the cover when using NVMe & then put it back once work is done & disconnected the enclosure.
Not much use for me, will use without covers

Got ORICO M.2 NVMe SATA SSD Enclosure Adapter Tool-Free, USB C 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps NVME, 5Gbps NGFF SATA PCIe M-Key(B+M Key) on recent sale for 700inr, tried using a 240 gb sata pcie ssd on it.

Its giving 340-350MB/s speed on copying video files, cant comment on temperature since its a chinese drive bought in 2018 and crystaldiskinfo always shows "40 C".

someone said that orico cables only work in a specific orientation but thats not the case in this piece.

The controller is RTL9210B-CG.
Screenshot 2024-08-12 171320.png

Last edited:
I am using below one bought in 2022. Works fine, have to recheck the speeds though.
Witamy External NVMe+NGFF M.2 Sata SSD Enclosure USB 3.1 GEN 2 Type-c Port 10 Gbps , Sizes of 2230/2242/2260/2280mm 2TB M-Key B+M Key for Laptop,Computer & Desktop (NVMe+NGFF Silver) https://amzn.in/d/7oSOL2o

Back