Linux Any one have multiseat experience with Ubuntu ?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I was wondering to put my 3900x or a 3300x or a 3600x on a multi seat system. Anyone have experience on the same ?

is will be Ubuntu latest version.
if possible the windows in future but currently only Linux planed.
can they share the experience on this ?

What do you mean by multiseat? Do you mean multiple CPUs on same board? Then no ryzen supports it. You need to buy epyc.

If I understand you correctly, I hope this is what you mean.
Linus used multiple physical gpus to get multiple physical outputs.

L1Tech did something similar, but the desktops were 'streamed' instead of direct from card as the Tesla cards don't have video out.

CraftComputing also did it similar to L1Tech, virtualized and streamed, using Tesla cards. This is quite an old video, he had quite a lot of troubles how to set it up, recent videos seem like he made it work.

I hope this was helpful.

Eh why not just set it up in server mode and connect to it via thin clients.
Don't want to invest in thin Clients and they kinda sucks as per what I have seen. My expectation is that one system can atleast use 2 to 3 different user session without any physical hardware. the software does it best but I don't know if I will have the windows 10 Licensing issue or not. also for development linux will be best with that sort of matter.
If I understand you correctly, I hope this is what you mean.
Linus used multiple physical gpus to get multiple physical outputs.

L1Tech did something similar, but the desktops were 'streamed' instead of direct from card as the Tesla cards don't have video out.

CraftComputing also did it similar to L1Tech, virtualized and streamed, using Tesla cards. This is quite an old video, he had quite a lot of troubles how to set it up, recent videos seem like he made it work.

I hope this was helpful.
sort of but I will only have one gpu which can support 4 display's. usb hum will solve the keyboard mouse issue. no need of sound so no issue there. or they can just use the monitor headphone port. saves energy ! can utilize existing hardware ! saves space also !

Last edited:
i doubt that but here you go , you need to virtualize your current setup connect multiple mouse keyboard multiple gpu display cable allocate create host multiple vms on the machine pass different GPU ,allocate desired cpu core and ram ,you can use promax/xenserver/vmware etc to achive the above depends on your skill

i doubt that but here you go , you need to virtualize your current setup connect multiple mouse keyboard multiple gpu display cable allocate create host multiple vms on the machine pass different GPU ,allocate desired cpu core and ram ,you can use promax/xenserver/vmware etc to achive the above depends on your skill
VMware solution I know as I do play round it. one of my friends was using the mentioned software or a similar one. It can directly detect that but windows license issue I heard so that is what I don’t want to involve my self into.
By the way in 20’s means above 25 below 30

just read through the discussion. my first thought is that even if it works you would spend a ton of time trying to debug issues. even though linux is multi user, the gdm will take over entire device so getting that multiplexing io would be tricky unless they are virtualozed through sriov.

kvm-qemu is probably the best way to go. There was also MultiseatX on Ubuntu in the past, don't know how it hold up. But there will be a lot of configuration involved and multiseat setups work best with multiple GPUs and need more work to get working on a single GPU.

no lag. works great as per my experience...
I do have a requirement for my sister's clinic. Their usage is not much at least for next 6 years or so. I thought of having one PC at my sister's desk and using the same for receptionist. Only problem is they may sit some 10 feet apart. So need a long display cable.. and not sure if wireless keyboard combo would work. As there is a wall in between

I do have a requirement for my sister's clinic. Their usage is not much at least for next 6 years or so. I thought of having one PC at my sister's desk and using the same for receptionist. Only problem is they may sit some 10 feet apart. So need a long display cable.. and not sure if wireless keyboard combo would work. As there is a wall in between
worked well for me. but I was using it with 3900X and 32GB ram. do a bit research around the applications to be used and the pc u will be using or build.

Back