OC & Modding Any-one here ever did pc-cabinet modifications

klk

Disciple
I dont want a glass side window panel, i wanted to cut the top portion of cabinet so put 2 fans there, I was wondering if any one ever did such things, can give me some point which will help me,
i'm confused to put holes or cut the area for fan, as I dont know where to get the fan grill or dust filter if i cut off the whole area, so any suggestions are welcome guys .

Erm...for this mod you will have to do similar things as one would have to do for getting transparent side panel.

For your mod you have to go through following process:
I. Preparations
II. Cutting and drilling
III. Finishing
IV. Fan and grill installation

I. Preparations
You need to make marking on your cabinet for the cut out. Identify the fan size and positioning of your fans and mark accordingly. Before cutting, make sure that you cover the cabinet with masking tape(non stick, writable) and mark the area you are going to cut. If masking tape is not available, you can use pencil on metal sheet directly(not recommended).

II. Cutting and drilling
Cutting:
Dermel tool is the best option for cutting, if you own one, you know what to do. If you are not too sure about cutting process, you can ask for help at any cabinet/carpentry workshop.
On cheap you can use options like:
- Wire cutter- Assuming your cabinet's sheet is not too thick, you can cut the sheet using simple wire cutter. Anyway cheap cabinet these days are made of very thin material.
- Chisel and hammer- Chisel and hammer can be used for cutting. While using chisel and hammer you will have to lay portion to be cut on ground, so take care not to hit other parts of the cabinet and put thick layer of paper below cabinet for extra protection of cabinet and floor. I had asked for help from cabinet workshop guys in cutting my cabinet's side panel, while I was working on my case mod. They used chisel and hammer for cutting. It took just two minutes and their trained hand gave the side panel quite good finish.
Drilling:
Drill the holes according to marking for your fan screws.
If you are getting help from any workshop for cutting, get drilling done from them.
Hand drill with metal cutting bit(whaterver it's named) can be used to drill on sheet too(Have tested personally :D).

III. Finishing
If you use masking tape, half of your job is done. It's very much possible that uneven edges are left after cutting. You can use 'U channel rubber'/ 'U channel rubber'( called as "goat" in Marathi) to cover the edge. U channel rubber is used for covering edges in scotter, you can get it from automobile spare parts shop.

IV. Fan and Grill installation
- You can get fan grill from local computer shops, they don't cost much.
- Make sure you add some rubber material/ rubber gormet while installation to avoid any vibrations.

If you are going to do this mod and you also wish to get transparent side panel, get it done along with this mod. Process will be similar. You will have bigger cutout(easier to work with), and will need to buy acrylic(acrylic not glass) side panel. Velcro/ screws maybe used to fix acrylic sheet to side panel.

thanks man, your reply is really helpful,
I'm using I5 sandy brige and 8gb ram, intel mobo, asus 660 dc2dt ,
the temps while playing goes around 65-70 , any my cabinet got only 2 80mm fans at rear
so thinking of a 120mm fan at side panel to throw air on heat sink pipes and two 80 or 120mm fans on top for exhaust
got place for 120mm fan on side panel and also got space for a front air for intake.
any suggestions for fans in budget not to high

You should consider front intake and side intake fans. Any 120mm fans with good CFM and noise as per your tolerance limit should work. I use Cooler Master LED fan as front and side intake.

Those temps are of my 660ti, for my processor got intel heatsink , never monitored processor temps.
got asus gpu tweak for card that shows the temps and from there i can overclock and increase the fan,.

First i will get a fan for front and check the temps then on side and again check the temps.

deep cool wind blade , ice blade ,deep cool uf 92, bit fenix spectre or cooler master sickle flow
will need 3 fans , as said for 2 side intake and 1 front in take
so suggest from these fans , if you got any other fans which are good then suggest those but keep under 500-600 not more pls.

@klk I just saw this thread? Where do you live? If you live in Delhi i can help you with the cut.
for the fans only Deepcool offers VFM fans (imo) at the moment.

I live in nanded its in maharashtra near mumbai, thnks for the help but I did the cuts and applied a cooler master 120mm fan ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1390479922][/DOUBLEPOST]
2014-01-17-328.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1390480011][/DOUBLEPOST]
2014-01-17-332.jpg
2014-01-18-338.jpg

Last edited:
Back