Storage Solutions Any place where I can bulk buy exos for my NAS?

altair21

Disciple
I am building a HTPC/streaming server for my home. does anyone have any idea where I can look into bulk buying some 14tb+ exos for my server? all the prices here are bloated af and I want atleast 200tb+ for my server. At this point it looks like it'll be cheaper if I just went to US and bought all my stuff there and bring it back to india.
P.S. where do I find ECC memory? I wanna run ZFS but literally cant find it anywhere.

Just here to appreciate the shear amout of storage your server has (will have). What RAID configuration (or RAIDZ) you are planning to use? Just wanna see how much storage will you actually have to buy

I am building a HTPC/streaming server for my home. does anyone have any idea where I can look into bulk buying some 14tb+ exos for my server? all the prices here are bloated af and I want atleast 200tb+ for my server. At this point it looks like it'll be cheaper if I just went to US and bought all my stuff there and bring it back to india.
P.S. where do I find ECC memory? I wanna run ZFS but literally cant find it anywhere.
Did you contact distributors or resellers? And what price were you given for the drives?

What case are you going to use?

Did you contact distributors or resellers? And what price were you given for the drives?
No resellers as such, I am tracking prices through pcpricetracker and the one that makes most sense is a 16tb exo for 25k which almost comes to 19$/tb, not ideal but bearable considering the US/India price differences. right now the build is in a planning stage I'm just considering what kind of budget i'll need to have to get a build like this going

What case are you going to use?
Not really decided how I'll go about, right now my options are to go with a jbod or a proper pc case prolly one of those full-size tower ones. I was looking into server prices and its apparent that unless I'm ready to pay 3-4x times their price I won't be able to get a decent server. right now its just considering what my options are if I do go about it.

Just here to appreciate the shear amout of storage your server has (will have). What RAID configuration (or RAIDZ) you are planning to use? Just wanna see how much storage will you actually have to buy
Ideally I'll have atleast a single parity drive. Main use case is for archival/streaming my stuff over multiple devices. I have been talking to a couple of peeps I know who have these kinds of builds but honestly it all depends on what kind of prices I'll need to pay. if the prices are way too high, I'll go with a smaller size build and just use a jbod and call it a day but if I can score these drives at a good deal then yea will prolly go with a RAIDZ mostly

With such large drive sizes, if any of the data is important to you, I would say Follow 2^n+1 rule. That is n parity drives per 2^n+1 drives or thereabouts. Try to keep the array size less.
If you plan to go with 16TB drives, I would say you'll need at least 16 drives total, and 2 vdevs of 8 drive RAIDZ2 each.
So you can afford to lose 2 drives per vdev.

Remember, RAIDZ does not stripe the data (unless you put drives/vdevs in stripe) so speeds will be limited to that of single drive.

Hence, if let's say your 192TB storage space was 30% full,
And one drive on a vdev died. So that's 16TBx0.3 = 4.8TB of data to be rewritten the replacement drive (resilvering). With sustained write speeds of 250MB/s, that's 5 hours 20 mins continuous activity where all 8 drives in the vdev are at 100%. Have heard and seen drives fail during resilver, hence the 2nd parity will help.

Also, TrueNAS uses RAM as cache, so yeah ECC RAM does help but is not a requirement. I would suggest get some 16GB optanes from ebay for $7 a pop and use them as L3 ARC (Exactly what I have done). Optanes, even though they don't have high sustained read or write speeds, have some amazing endurance and I/O rating. So they are perfect for TrueNAS boot drives as well. You can use mirrored NVME volumes as storage for containers and volumes for the apps you are planning to run on the NAS.

With such large drive sizes, if any of the data is important to you, I would say Follow 2^n+1 rule. That is n parity drives per 2^n+1 drives or thereabouts. Try to keep the array size less.
If you plan to go with 16TB drives, I would say you'll need at least 16 drives total, and 2 vdevs of 8 drive RAIDZ2 each.
So you can afford to lose 2 drives per vdev.

Remember, RAIDZ does not stripe the data (unless you put drives/vdevs in stripe) so speeds will be limited to that of single drive.

Hence, if let's say your 192TB storage space was 30% full,
And one drive on a vdev died. So that's 16TBx0.3 = 4.8TB of data to be rewritten the replacement drive (resilvering). With sustained write speeds of 250MB/s, that's 5 hours 20 mins continuous activity where all 8 drives in the vdev are at 100%. Have heard and seen drives fail during resilver, hence the 2nd parity will help.

Also, TrueNAS uses RAM as cache, so yeah ECC RAM does help but is not a requirement. I would suggest get some 16GB optanes from ebay for $7 a pop and use them as L3 ARC (Exactly what I have done). Optanes, even though they don't have high sustained read or write speeds, have some amazing endurance and I/O rating. So they are perfect for TrueNAS boot drives as well. You can use mirrored NVME volumes as storage for containers and volumes for the apps you are planning to run on the NAS.
yea thats the plan, but it all depends on the price of HDDs, its really expensive importing this stuff here.I'll look into optanes that's a good idea thanks

Back