Any recommendations for Android smartphones from Shanghai, CHINA

A relative is traveling to Shanghai next week. I heard that smartphones are abundant and cheap over there.

My budget is ~INR 20k.

Now, with this budget should I go safe and buy branded (HTC/Moto/Sony-Erickson/LG)

OR

Are there any low cost best-selling brands that I am not aware of..My preferences are a min. of 4" screen.

Thanks in anticipation.

corpsegrinder said:
A relative is traveling to Shanghai next week. I heard that smartphones are abundant and cheap over there.
My budget is ~INR 20k.

Now, with this budget should I go safe and buy branded (HTC/Moto/Sony-Erickson/LG)
OR
Are there any low cost best-selling brands that I am not aware of..My preferences are a min. of 4" screen.
Thanks in anticipation.
Meizu M9 is indeed a very good phone and specs are really good. The average price of this phone on taobao is 2500 RMB which is like 17.5k max. So if you can get a deal below this then it is a very good option. Off course you will have to haggle at the shop.

Check this link ->
M9_?

Assuming your relative is not well informed about Shanghai (correct me if i am wrong) and have couple of hours for shopping for your phone, i would suggest them to travel to the subway station 'Xujiahui' (pronounced as Shu-jaa-Hui) on Line 1 and Line 9 (it intersects there). Tell them to lookout for signs that mention the exit which goes to Metro city mall. This is one of the biggest electronics shopping mall in Shanghai and heaven for Gadget freaks (i have myself made more than 10 rounds of this mall :p). Mostly the exit is either of 10,11 or 12 which enters directly "in the mall" but please cross verify.
Mobile phones are usually at top floors (ground floor - cameras and laptops, 1st - DIY computer stuff, 3-floor - mobos, hdd comp accessories and then the mobiles). Find a miezu shop (i dont know whether it is there) and get from there after haggling
(seeing tourists they try to fleece so it better to know the rates before). I used to take printout of the taobao page to show them prevailing rates and then haggle for below that.
Bargaining tip - Use calculator, they wont understand even simple english, be adamant and but also bit sugar coated to get you to deal. If they dont go below certain point try getting free MicroSD card or some accessory etc etc.
Believe me in Shanghai you can haggle for any electronics.

Another option for buying Mobiles is at Times square area near "DongChang Lu" (15 min walk) station.

If interested in branded shops then best buy is available at both locations mentioned above.

The Meizu M9 looks good.
Another phone you could check out would be the Apanda A100 Android 2.3 1 GHz Phone Review . A google search brings up the latest posts dating back to Feb/Mar though it's listed on their site. So i'm not sure about availability. Any info your relative could dig up would be useful.
If warranty is a priority, the Spice mi-410(~15K) and LG Optimus Black (~17/18K acc. to one LG partner i spoke with) are both releasing this month. Both satisfy your criteria of 4"+ screens.

Back