any vfm laptop with 17" display ?

So I'm helping my neighbor get a laptop for his children (1 now starting with college and 1 in secondary school). Now, the usage on the laptop will be not more than 1 hr / day. Initially they were to buy a desktop, but later they have decided to opt for a laptop. The desktop will consume space and the laptop wouldn't, portability, etc etc.

Now, they are of the option that its better if the laptop could have a larger screen. I went to a few Croma stores but I was not able to find anything larger than 15.6" display. I was told that I would need to go to larger Croma stores for the same. My pick would have been the Dell 15R considering the after sales service etc etc. and the impressive configuration on the same.

So knocking the doors of the laptop gurus on board who can suggest options (if any), or it would be best to settle with the 15R. (can anyone tell me how much is the 15R costing ? its online for about 31900 without delivery, without bluetooth headset and without the backpack) Any dell dealers on board who can give some aggressive, attractive offer for the same?

p.s : pm inbox is full and am too lazy right now to clear, so please post in the thread.

Thank you in advance for the valuable suggestions.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

12 hours, 52 views, 0 replies :O , need some help people.

Maybe you should be a bit more specific on the query - budget, requirements, portability factor, specific manufacturer etc. :)

Why is the larger screen size a requirement? One can as well buy an additional 19" display if the need be. Dell AFAIK has no laptops with 17" screens except perhaps the Alienware model. HP and Compaq OTOH may have models with 17" displays but I have my doubts if it would be within 35k. Hit a Croma or Reliance Digital and see the models in person and do a comparison.

The desky would be much more powerful and have longer warranty and let them play many games at a 30k price point.

As Desecrator says unforunately Dell Inspiron 17 is not listed in Dell India website.

Dell 15R series has been just released in the US and the websites are coming up with their initial impressions which is quite postive. It has lots of connectivity options. I would say pick up the model which costs 34.9k with the ATI HD5470 which would help in playing recent games at decent FPS in low- medium settings.

Desecrator said:
Maybe you should be a bit more specific on the query - budget, requirements, portability factor, specific manufacturer etc. :)

Why is the larger screen size a requirement? One can as well buy an additional 19" display if the need be. Dell AFAIK has no laptops with 17" screens except perhaps the Alienware model. HP and Compaq OTOH may have models with 17" displays but I have my doubts if it would be within 35k. Hit a Croma or Reliance Digital and see the models in person and do a comparison.

Budget - Max. 40k all inc.

Requirement - Basic Internet and NO gaming.

Portability factor - Easy to put off somewhere when not in use. Once a yr. will go out of the house. Other than that, NONE portability needed.

Specific Manufacturer - Sticking to dell just cause of the a$$ factor and the onsite support. Other than that, nothing.

Why large screen - The parents would also 'learn' computing and hence the larger screen size would be easier on the eyes. They saw my 15.6" laptop and said they would like the screen a lil bigger. However, since the options in that domain are far limited, I might just convince them for a 15.6". The external monitor is a no-no considering it will take up space and the cost associated with a desktop (read: computer table etc)
DarkAngel said:
The desky would be much more powerful and have longer warranty and let them play many games at a 30k price point.

As Desecrator says unforunately Dell Inspiron 17 is not listed in Dell India website.

Dell 15R series has been just released in the US and the websites are coming up with their initial impressions which is quite postive. It has lots of connectivity options. I would say pick up the model which costs 34.9k with the ATI HD5470 which would help in playing recent games at decent FPS in low- medium settings.

- Agreed on the desktop part, but as I mentioned above, space is a constraint and hence opting for the laptop option. The laptop would have an average run time of approx 10 hours a week and can be conveniently placed away in a cupboard, table, somewhere...The desktop would take up space and just sit there.

-Dell 15R is something I'm also having my eyes on.

I know a couple of people also buying the 15R soon. The count for the same is already '5'. I guess I will call dell tomorrow and get a good quote for a bulk order of 5 15R's.

msi has a few models. i saw one, it comes with core i3,2gb ddr3 and 320gb hdd and an intel graphics solution. i think the prices are below 40k for that model. standard 2 yrs warranty (domestic and international) and windows 7 home complete the package.

some of the models:

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

the core 2 duo models will be cheaper than 30k i think.

sunny27 said:
msi has a few models. i saw one, it comes with core i3,2gb ddr3 and 320gb hdd and an intel graphics solution. i think the prices are below 40k for that model. standard 2 yrs warranty (domestic and international) and windows 7 home complete the package.

some of the models:

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

MSI Global

the core 2 duo models will be cheaper than 30k i think.

some of the above have great specs! and could be great VFM. The only thing taking me away from these is the onsite Dell warranty.

1) the kids wont run around to the service center if the laptop develops some issue

2) the parents have their own responsibilities

3) i have my responsibilities as well and hence i would love to have something onsite to take care of any issues that might arise
wishmaster.dj said:
I heard about dell studio 17.

dont know about its india availability though. pretty VFM, IMO
i'll check on the same tomorrow when i call dell....however i have my doubts if they would really fit in 40k. if it does even a C2D, I would prefer to go for the same and pick it up.

msi has excellent after sales service i can personally vouch for that. and if you need help i can provide u with the contacts of msi's top people in india. msi's prices and build quality are better than most low end dell inspirons and equivalent to vostro. i own a dell latitude a vostro and a sony vaio at home and the msi is on par with the vaio and the vostro.

msi has no build quality issues. major motherboard replacements are done within 48 hours. most of the stuff including LCD replacements are done on the spot.

^thanks a lot for the response above. In that case, would you be able to source out the same at a real good pricing as well or get some exclusive pricing from the contacts ? I know for sure they are spending on the laptop after a lot of saving and thinking, and , I would love to save them some doh.

Edit: Don't need the hifi i3 and stuff, a good powerful C2D with sufficient RAM and decent HDD space is all good. The screen size of 17" will be something they would specifically cherish.

thetechmind said:
Edit: Don't need the hifi i3 and stuff, a good powerful C2D with sufficient RAM and decent HDD space is all good. The screen size of 17" will be something they would specifically cherish.
Next to impossible! :)

I'm dead sure no 17"er ATM would come with a C2D processor. C2D is EOL already - replaced by the entry level i3 processor which is by no means hifi FYI.

I'll reiterate again - Dell has no 17"er retailing in India ATM for anything you are going to shell out. HP/Compaq may have them but their customer support is nowhere close to what Dell offers and I've seen their laptops conking off pretty sooner than a Dell or an Acer.

Under 40k, if you can leave the requirement of a 17" screen, you can get a good model with a complete cover support for 3 years. My friend recently got himself a Inspiron 14R with 3 yr CC for just under 40k.

sunny27 said:
msi has excellent after sales service i can personally vouch for that. and if you need help i can provide u with the contacts of msi's top people in india. msi's prices and build quality are better than most low end dell inspirons and equivalent to vostro. i own a dell latitude a vostro and a sony vaio at home and the msi is on par with the vaio and the vostro.

msi has no build quality issues. major motherboard replacements are done within 48 hours. most of the stuff including LCD replacements are done on the spot.
Not really. Greenhorn was of the opinion the 15R had better quality than the 6xx series from MSI. He tried few MSI laptops and found the keyboard not upto mark IINM. Also if the OP lives in a non-metro then the Dell A.S.S is much better in case of smaller cities and towns. IIRC MSI has service centers in only 20-25 cities which is quite insufficient.

2yrs back in college my friend's Dell inspiron fan developed a problem. Coll was in out skirts of the city(25kms from service center i guess) and the service guy came NBD and the laptop was repaired in the college visitors room itself. Thats A.S.S for u :)

mehrotra.akash said:
Cant say if its in your budget but take a look at Dell Vostro 1710 Laptop Details | Dell India
Without all those additional hoopla, it'd certainly fall under his budget but the point is those Dell reps would not honor the Vostro systems for a home user. They ask you to send them a copy of the company ID card, send a mail from the business mail and shit like that. :\

TBH I am surprised to see a 17inch laptop with a C2D processor. :O

Desecrator said:
Next to impossible! :)

I'm dead sure no 17"er ATM would come with a C2D processor. C2D is EOL already - replaced by the entry level i3 processor which is by no means hifi FYI.

I'll reiterate again - Dell has no 17"er retailing in India ATM for anything you are going to shell out. HP/Compaq may have them but their customer support is nowhere close to what Dell offers and I've seen their laptops conking off pretty sooner than a Dell or an Acer.

Under 40k, if you can leave the requirement of a 17" screen, you can get a good model with a complete cover support for 3 years. My friend recently got himself a Inspiron 14R with 3 yr CC for just under 40k.

ok, in that case if its with the i3 then so be it. I know i3 is no hi-fi; but for a end user who is getting introduced to computing, it definitely would :). Asking them to settle for the 14R would be a little over the roof. However, I understand the point you are making, but then thats asking them to settle a 3" less screen and still paying the same. mind you, they are end users. I would always be around to take care of queries and how-to's for them initially, least I would make them settle for is the 15R and you would see how inclined I have been towards it since the 1st post. Now, with sunny27's post what I am beginning to wonder is if there is going to be a difference of a good 10k is it worth saving the doh. I sure would like them to have a complete peace of mind as well. Gonna call Dell tomorrow and get a quote for the 15R neways, lets see how it goes.

If you can get a 14R and a complete cover, you can kiss all the worries for the next 3 years, good bye. That's as easy as it goes. Anyways call up Dell and see if they can give you the Vostro mentioned in the last post. That's a good deal for a 17"er and that processor is supposedly very good. One of the better C2Ds around.

Desecrator said:
Without all those additional hoopla, it'd certainly fall under his budget but the point is those Dell reps would not honor the Vostro systems for a home user. They ask you to send them a copy of the company ID card, send a mail from the business mail and shit like that. :\

TBH I am surprised to see a 17inch laptop with a C2D processor. :O
he can try his luck at the resellers in that case.

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf

Delta regularly lists Vostros in their website. But no 17"cher there too. Can we upgrade warranty to 3yrs NBD limited support or 3 yrs CC when buying from resellers too at the same price its being offered in the dell website?

Get a 15R for 35k+ 3yrs CC + delivery would cot you 44.3k. But then if the person is working in corporate then he can get a 8% discount if he opts for 3yrs CC:)(3% without 3 yrs CC :|) . So ~44.3k - 8% -> ~40.8-41k which is sweet price IMO.

Even if he is not in corporate there are a few guys working in dell in the forums who can get u a 8% max discount in case u take 3 yrs CC IINM.

DarkAngel said:
Can we upgrade warranty to 3yrs NBD limited support or 3 yrs CC when buying from resellers too at the same price its being offered in the dell website?
I think yes. i.e but the laptop from any retailer, call up Dell and pay them upfront for the warranty upgrade. :)

Back