Any windows mobile with FM and good cam with flash?

tech.addict

Skilled
Hi,
I wish to know if there is any PDA phone (windows mobile) with touchscreen with FM and good cam (3.2 MP) with flash ? I know that SE P1i has all these but its not a windows mobile.
So pls enlighten me guys.

_______
Arup

Windows Mobile Phones with FM

O2
Atom
Atom Exec
Atom Life
Orbit (remodeled HTC Artemis)
Flame

HTC
P3300 (Artemis)
P3350 (Love)

iMate
Ultimate 5150
Ultimate 6150
Ultimate 7150
Ultimate 8150
Ultimate 9150

HP
iPAQ rw 6828
iPAQ rw 6818

Eten
Goldfish M700
Goldfish X500
Goldfish X800
Goldfish X500+
G500+

All the phones mentioned above have 2MP cameras except the Eten G500+ which has a 1.3MP camera.

There is currenly no WinMobile device with a 3MP camera except the soon to be released HTC Kaiser which is currently available as pre-production models in the ball park of around USD 2000.

My advice to you
Don't diminish your Pocket PC experience by limiting yourself to phones with FM. That's no reason to buy any of the above mentioned models. Most of these aren't very popular nor are they 'Best-of-Class' devices. It remains to be seen how the Ultimate series from iMate will be recieved. Among the devies mentioned, your best buy would be the O2 Orbit / HTC 3300 since it is an HTC device and also comes with built-in Sirf III GPS.

If you are starting off with Windows Mobile devices, I would suggest you close your eyes and buy the HTC Touch. It is a fantastic device available at an unbelieveable price and can do everything under the sun shy of sending you to the moon. (ok I know... sloppy example... but you get the picture ;))

Thanks satan.

yes HTC Touch is irresistible.

But what about O2 Atom or Atom Exec. O2 Atom is available in Indiatimes at 19.9 K w/o B&W and the Atom exec probably 20.5K with B&W, IR keyboard etc. What is your opinion on these.

And how much O2 orbit/HTC 3300 costs ? are these available in india?

______

Arup

The Atom Series @ 20k or The HTC Touch @ 20k.... seems to be a difficult choice for a lot of people.

If it was I who was making the choice, almost any HTC product would be a clear victor. I've stated this many times over and again, at the risk of repeating myself, I have to say that HTC devices are the preffered PPC's of the greater PPC community. They have unparalled support not only from vendors but most importantly from the PPC community.

The Atom series from O2 is not manufactured by HTC. It is by another company by name Quanta Computers which aren't exactly known for making the best Pocket PC's.

Also, the deal on Indiatimes.com doesn't sit very well with me. Indiatimes.com is more often than not a known fraudster. I've read 1000's of reviews about how products that are delivered are not as advertised and in some cases don't even show up. Ofcourse there are exceptions to that. There is another member here @ TE who recently purchased the same phone (O2 Atom) from Indiatimes and is very happy about it.

I find it puzzling that the model being advertised on Indiatimes.com is available only for 20k while it retails at stores for around 35k. I'm guessing they are only offering a DEALER Warranty.

Something you might want to think about.

Regarding the Artemis... I'm niether sure about availability nor pricing in India although I think you could procure one through the grey market.

last i think my o2 atom had it. 1 thing i hate about all these windows phones are they are still stuck with 64k color screens and i am so used to the 262k color screens now... anyone has idea how much is the display in TOUCH

The Touch display is fantastic.. I don't see how it would make a difference between 65k and 262k at this resolution and during normal usage.

Most of these new WMs have a screen capable of showing 262k colors...instead, its the OS limit of 64k tht is the culprit..but during usage, its not felt that much..:)

Btw, today i saw an offer in Mumbai mirror for the Imate JAMA selling for 14990.. sounds like not too bad a deal? ;) The problem with HTC touch is tht its only available on airtel networks..so may be a problem for some..

I'm on airtel, so i'm okay with it..:p

Seed said:
The Touch display is fantastic.. I don't see how it would make a difference between 65k and 262k at this resolution and during normal usage.

my friend it makes all the diff. in the world. i used to have the 7650 in early cam phone days on pc the pic would look something on the phone it would look like some1 raped the hell out of it. for a person like me who changes themes/wallpapers every cpl of hours my first priority is color screen. after using 6680 and n73me i would not like to go back to a o2 would only updrade after they do screen upgrade. i sold the atom and xda2 for the same reasons.

@archat -
Well a word of caution abt the o2 atom (vanilla).. its known to have problems like apps loading slowly, hangs frequently, cam loads slowly and picture taking time is too much.. If u search for reviews of the o2 atom online u'll find it mentioned (try the cnet one first).. I've used it personally when my friend bought it, and i experienced it.. Well its mentioned that a third ROM upgrade has corrected these drawbacks but i haven't used it after that nor have i found any reviews regarding the same.. Maybe the member of TE who Satan mentions can help in clarifying that... I got the o2 atom exec for myself after that...

Regarding o2 orbit, its a good one and u'll get it at a no. of online retailers like indiatimes or gadgetsguru.in (at arnd 26-27k) but i guess its hard to find at o2 dealers..

U could also have a look at the HTC P4350 (Herald).. That one again is not released in India under HTC brandname, u could get it in the grey market though.. Under Dopod(now acquired by HTC) its similar to Dopod C600.. Its got a sliding QWERTY keyboard if u think the on-screen keyboard may be a problem for u for extensive msging, emailing n stuff...

@jesal -
Ur used to using pdas with 262k dispaly? are u talking abt ones with windows mobile 6? coz windows mobile 5 has a software limitation of showing only 65k colors... Here's a quote from a review of Samsung PDA phones

The device is run by the next Window Mobile version called Magneto. The screen is 2" in diagonal with the resolution of 320x240 pixels. A dispute about the number of reflected colours roused. 262K are announced and the matrix supports them physically. But really due to the software limitations Window Mobile allows showing only 65K.

Check out the article here.. Search for the above quote if u can't find it.. Or search for this limitation of windows mobile 5 online...

And abt i-mate JAMA.. its dual band, no edge, no wi-fi.. so it does loose out on a no. of fronts it think, as a pda phone especially ... Unless u dont need these facilities ^o then its a good buy...

i said im used to nokias now with 262k screen. also htc touch is win6 but still with 64k colors, there is 1 windows phone dunno which one which has 262k colors not sure which one though. maybe the dopod. i love the name and way its etched on the phone too. next phone might just be one of those not sure though...

Back